• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-02-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:02 am Reply with quote
IMO Vic deserves the hate he gets. He has very little vocal range, and I really don't feel that he's a good actor. At all. Yet he's cast somewhere in pretty much everything.

Shannon's point is valid regardless of stance on Mignogna, though; the dub companies seem to only want to use the same small pool of actors for everything. It looks and sounds like it's next to impossible for new talent to get involved regardless of how good they are because the companies don't WANT new talent, and that is just plain sad.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:18 am Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Not to mention that it's pretty hard to slander an anonymous person. There wasn't even so much as a screen name mentioned. The whole point behind "slander" is an attempt to ruin someone's good name with false statements. If none of us have any idea who this person is, then there was harm caused to that person's image.
Also, just to throw in some word lawyering, the proper term for defamation in print is "libel."

"Slander" is defamation that's spoken or otherwise used in a fleeting manner. (You can slander someone in sign language if you want.) Libel requires that the defamatory statements are more permanent.

About dub actor talent pools: The problem you have is that dubbing isn't actually as easy as people seem to think. The number of actors who can actually do it with consistently isn't very high, the pay sucks and even some of the big names have to have second jobs to keep eating and with the industry shrinking there is less work in general. Exactly how many people do you think are even TRYING TO GET INTO THE PROFESSION!

Plus, voice over work for western animation and commercials is easier as the animation is often drawn to match the recorded dialogue and commerical voice over work can pay GODLY sums. Network voice over bits can be especially lucrative.

It's not that the dubbing studios don't want new talent (Funimation has in fact ADDED several new VAs last year, not that they'll get any credit for it) but that the number of new recruits is very small, meaning the number of people who can actually handle the job is even smaller.

Also, why do people only attack dubs for re-using actors? The Japanese have numerous big names they re-use. Plus, with the vast majority of dubs currently coming from only one studio in Texas, it's kinda inevitable you'll hear some people multiple times.

Honestly, why do people complain about this anyway? If a person sounds right in a role, isn't that the important thing? And why does no one give the dubbing companies any praise when they do get new talent?
Ryo Hazuki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:34 am Reply with quote
I don't really think omitting sound effects from the OP:s has much to do with the interference of the music publishers and record labels. Even in the 70's and the 80's when most anime series had original theme songs sound effects in the OP:s were less common than in American cartoons.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:33 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
The internet is a disconnected machine that derives its humor from cynicism and cruelty, so for me to try and dig deeper into the situation would seem disingenuous at best or completely heartless at worst.

Way to overreact. What reason do you have to believe that guy other than "what if"? A troll goes out of his/her way to manipulate other people.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:01 am Reply with quote
Is anyone ACTUALLY going to answer "bittorrent" to this week's question? Rolling Eyes

Well, I'll take that bullet. 100% of my anime viewing is from downloaded anime off bittorrent. And so it my manga. Even though I buy some manga books each month, I still download it, and keep the actual manga in plastic covers to look good on my shelf. But I don't buy anime DVDs because the product is worse then the download version.
poonk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:36 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Is anyone ACTUALLY going to answer "bittorrent" to this week's question? Rolling Eyes

Well, I'll take that bullet. 100% of my anime viewing is from downloaded anime off bittorrent. And so it my manga.
I'll (partially) share that bullet with you, DmonHiro, since the few anime series I'm currently watching (Hetalia, and wrapping up Kuroshitsuji) are not available on DVD as of yet (but rest assured, I'm enough of a fangirl to put my money where my mouth is given the opportunity). Going somewhat farther back, part of the issue is that relatively few of the series I've utterly adored in the last few years (such as Natsume Yuujinchou and Toushokan Sensou) have been released on DVD so... yeah, what do I do, y'know? I do buy quite a bit of manga (probably about $40-50 worth a month, minimum) so it's not like I'm totally unsupportive of the industry but when it comes to anime I'm sort of just left waiting for the stuff I'm intererested in...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:59 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
But I don't buy anime DVDs because the product is worse then the download version.

Prove it.

EDIT: I'd like to concede that in cases where the downloaded version is a HD broadcast or BD rip that the quality of that content may indeed trump that of the DVD (specs are one thing, whether or not the broadcast was actually HD and/or how well it was encoded is another).

The download could also be a complete rip of the DVD itself, in which case it would be true that it is the same as the retail version.

That said, a DVD will typically meet a certain benchmark of quality and not diverge too far away in from that benchmark in the directions of better or worse. Fansubs are all over the place in terms of A/V quality by comparison. Subtitles are a similar story. The presence of extras also enhances the DVD as a product; nice box art and the occasional goodies are also reasons fans get into DVDs.

When I stopped to consider how many DVD (and Blu-ray!) releases have been botched over the years, I could see why you'd just want to give up and just ignore them. That's not a responsible way to go about your anime business however. If you do just a little bit of research it's easy to distinguish between the good and bad releases. Barring that, you could always just netflix (or equivalent) the shows as well or check out the free streaming.

With that in mind, I'm not attempting to change the way you think so much as pointing out that people like you are a part of the problem of bad home video releases. Please, continue to be a moron at your leisure.

Last edited by dewlwieldthedarpachief on Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:27 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Torrenting stuff these days is like playing "DMCA letter minesweeper." I've almost exclusively used IRC for the last year or so for downloading. I'd be interested in seeing many people answer that.

The only time I bother with BT is when it's something older, and actually has a decent amount of seeds. I don't/can't use streaming for a variety of reasons, most of which are dead horse topics. Though I have been watching some of my actual DVDs lately, so i'm not entirely a leech.

Also, if they're upscaled, R1 DVDs tend to look rather bad in comparison to HDTV fansub versions -- or even R2 DVD rips -- played from a PC. It's probably the difference in hardware that makes the picture look better on the same screen. That and R1 DVD mastering tends to be a bit... eh. Cramming all those episodes does come at a bit of a cost.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:33 am Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
But I don't buy anime DVDs because the product is worse then the download version.

Prove it.

You're kidding me, right?

Higher resolution (for HD anime), better fonts, non-localized translations, able to watch it in less then a week after it aired in Japan, takes no space, does not break, is pretty much free, you can watch it on anything you want (PS3, DVD/BR player, PC), you can get ANY show you want, not just what's licensed, including really obscure and rare anime like D4 Princess, and in my case 0% change on getting a DMCA letter (special circumstances). Need I go on?

However, there is that special feeling you get when you have the actual copy. That's why I buy lots of manga. It's easy to replace anime DVDs with fansubs. You can even make your own DVD cover, like I do. But manga, there's no substitute for having the book, even if I never actually open it.

Also, dewlwieldthedarpachief, I understand what you are talking about, and yes, you are correct in most of your points. It has nothing to do with me being a moron, it has something to do with me being selfish. The R1 industry does not concern me in the slightest, therefore I have no qualms about helping with it's demise, as is does not affect me. Also, I will NEVER consider streaming, as I want really high video/audio quality, and streaming does not provide that, in most cases. One more thing that you Americans always seem to forget: you are not the only ones watching anime. Netflix is unavailable to me, as are almost all Funimation legal streaming. So you expect me to NOT watch the anime I want?
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:

Prove it.

Also, dewlwieldthedarpachief, I understand what you are talking about, and yes, you are correct in most of your points. It has nothing to do with me being a moron, it has something to do with me being selfish. The R1 industry does not concern me in the slightest, therefore I have no qualms about helping with it's demise, as is does not affect me. Also, I will NEVER consider streaming, as I want really high video/audio quality, and streaming does not provide that, in most cases. One more thing that you Americans always seem to forget: you are not the only ones watching anime. Netflix is unavailable to me, as are almost all Funimation legal streaming. So you expect me to NOT watch the anime I want?

Well put; being outside of the North American zone, your story isn't quite as cut and dry as ours is. This poses a conundrum: on the one hand you have the intelligence to explain yourself yet at the same time you make the blind assumption that I'm a) American and b) ignore the fact that this is a website that caters to North American content, in addition to the minor infraction of c) ignoring that I made mention of the possibility of netflix equivalents. I guess that just makes you slow but then more's the tragedy.

I certainly don't expect people to drop illegal downloading for the moral implications, but I'm willing to voice the contrary if someone's trying to justify it as something they're entitled to. Just because it's the status quo doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it.
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:45 am Reply with quote
Answerman wrote:
The internet is a disconnected machine that derives its humor from cynicism and cruelty, so for me to try and dig deeper into the situation would seem disingenuous at best or completely heartless at worst.

Way to overreact. What reason do you have to believe that guy other than "what if"? A troll goes out of his/her way to manipulate other people.

true, but i tend to have a pretty good eye or an ear for when i'm being manipulated. "I'll be going to prison soon enough. I don't need your help." that just sounds so... gut-wrenchingly honest and sad.

a true troll would've gone on and on and on. a troll would've concocted an elaborate scenario about why he's going to prison, filled with bizarre details and filled with copious slander. no, his remark was too succinct and sharp.

see, that's the trouble with trolls these days! they take nothing for chance; there's no poetry or soul in it anymore. they leave nothing up to the reader; they just want to find as many ways to call you a homo. pfuh!

but anyway, i know it sounds silly, that i can magically decipher when i'm being tricked or trolled or not... but in this instance, i feel like it's completely sincere. it's a gut feeling.

Bored_Ming wrote:
Maybe Brian has created a new ANN meme, dude you just got tacoed.

that just sounds unbelievably dirty.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:58 am Reply with quote
Sadly, I have no equivalent to Netflix here in Romania. We used to have Animax running from 8 PM to 00 AM, but it was taken off the air as well. We DO have a Manga shop that delivers, so I guess if there was an Anime shop that delivered, we'd be buying more anime as well. It's sad, you know,cause most Romanian 24 years old guys like me actually have a bit of money we would spend.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:22 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
However, there is that special feeling you get when you have the actual copy. That's why I buy lots of manga. It's easy to replace anime DVDs with fansubs. You can even make your own DVD cover, like I do. But manga, there's no substitute for having the book, even if I never actually open it.

Well aren't you just the center of the bloody universe. It's unbelievable how some of you can offer up these rants explaining what you do and it's just 100% me me me. Not even a mention of anything else. Just 'what do I gain by buying? Sure, you'll buy manga. There's something in it for you. But anime? No! Of course you're not even going to spend a cent on that. After all, what does the all important DmonHiro gain from buying anime? It actually bothers me more, this insanely egocentric attitude demonstrated here, than whether it actually leads you to buy stuff or not. I mean does the concept that there's actually other people in the world even [expletive] occur to you? That maybe you should consider more than just the most basic question of what you gain? Or are so so high on your own shitty little existence that it doesn't even register? And don't try to backtrack. Maybe I'd believe you if you came in here initially and explained how tragically, anime just isn't available in your country and so even though you'd be willing to buy DVDs, you can't. Except you don't. You come in here and basically dump all over the very concept of buying DVDs and explain how you buy absolutely none because there's nothing in it for you. It's pretty clear that is still what's motivating you whether it's difficult to get access to anime or not.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:32 am Reply with quote
Please don't turn this into a pro/con anime downloading discussion. I was asked two questions (How do you watch anime? and Can you prove what you said?) and I answered them. I have no intention of arguing. And to answer the third question, yes it does occur to me there are other people, but no, I do not care, as I have no reason to care. Will caring gain me anything? If you really wish to continue arguing this, please use the PM, as I don't see a reason to clutter up the message board with this.

On topic, I just want to mention that I noticed something interesting about OPs this season. For example, in Juuden-chan and Sora No Otoshimono, they included SFX for the OP in the last episodes. I also want to mention that it sounded a little bit strange, and enjoyed the SFXless openings much better. But, why did they include them in the last episode anyway?
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote
mckg1 wrote:
Well, i think the Biggest change is anime on Blu Ray. I am trying to collect anime on Blu Ray now. One great exaple is D.Gray man.

I like how it looks so freaking clear and HD! Its a great viewing experience!! Love me some HD ANIME lol Very Happy

The words you're looking for are "placebo effect."

http://www.blu-raydefinition.com/reviews/d-gray-man-season-one-part-one-blu-ray-review.html

Quote:
D.Gray-man comes to Blu-ray from Funimation in a 1.78:1 AVC/MPEG-4 1080p encoding plagued with problems. From the beginning the transfer shows issues with motion jaggies around the line art. There is also blocking and posterization in places and an overall softness to the transfer.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2990/dgraymanseason1part1.html

Quote:
This first volume of 'D. Gray-man' comes to Blu-ray by way of an AVC MPEG-4 encode (1080p, 1.78:1) that hardly had me impressed. While not as problematic as the 'Samurai Champloo' release, this series has a set of issues that was hard to ignore.

From the first introductory theme song, I knew aliasing was going to be a massive issue (while color banding was lightly present). My suspicions were confirmed immediately. This has to be one of the most awkwardly aliased programs I've watched on Blu-ray! Solid lines stairstep often, especially the ones surrounding characters, like their hairlines or jaws. The aliasing issues don't stop there, as there any "camera" pan, inward, or side to side, creates a wavering issue, as lines fluctuate in thickness and straightness, somewhat similar to a heat wave effect. There was also an issue with aliasing that made some outlines seem to move around characters, like they were being highlighted.

If you've watched any Funimation TV anime blu-ray sets aside from Samurai 7 and Shigurui and were wowed by the video quality, you're definitely not being wowed by anything "HD." All the rest are badly done upscales of SD material. It's not high-def, it's shovelware.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7