• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-02-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
And to answer the third question, yes it does occur to me there are other people, but no, I do not care, as I have no reason to care. Will caring gain me anything?

Congratulations. You are a terrible, despicable human being. A truly awful little piece of human garbage. I hope you rot in hell or some other non-denominational place of eternal torment. One day, your self important little world will come crashing down around you and on that day, you'll look to others for help. When that happens, I desperately hope that others will look back at you and ask "What's in it for me?"
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:07 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

Congratulations. You are a terrible, despicable human being. A truly awful little piece of human garbage. I hope you rot in hell or some other non-denominational place of eternal torment. One day, your self important little world will come crashing down around you and on that day, you'll look to others for help. When that happens, I desperately hope that others will look back at you and ask "What's in it for me?"

First off, dude...chill. Are you actually calling me a despicable human being that deserves to go to hell because I download anime and don't give a crap about the R1 industry and anyone who works in it? Geez, I wonder what you would say to a murderer or rapist. Alright then...have fun with that.

Anyway, here are, from what I can remember, anime openings that include sound effects.

Sora No Otoshimono (last episode)
Tsuyokiss! (last episode)
Hell Teacher Nube
Fight!! Ippatsu Juuden-chan (last episode)
Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

In the ones who only have SFX for the last episode, they sound terrible. In the others it sounds really cool. Anyone else know any others?
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
And to answer the third question, yes it does occur to me there are other people, but no, I do not care, as I have no reason to care. Will caring gain me anything?

cool story bro

and on a side if i can recall correctly, the One Piece S1 intro has sound effects in it, but only in the american versions the Japanese ones don't.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote
Why are there always so many questions on here about anime becoming "mainstream"? I thought it was mainstream. They sell DVDs,T-shirts,posters,and other related merchandise at the mall.
Everyone I know knows what it is,and most scifi fans I've come across have watched Cowboy Bebop,Gundam,Ghost in the Shell or what have you. Who are these people that supposedly make fun of you for watching anime?

The reason that doesn't translate into sales is because 98% of anime shows coming out are good for a few hours' entertainment but aren't really something that needs to be bought on DVD.
You see it once either on Adult Swim,streaming,or (pirated) download,and you're done.
Take for example the previously mentioned Godannar. Yeah,I watched a couple eps,but are you really going to PURCHASE a DVD about generic Power Rangers with size G breasts? Come on,people don't not buy that because "they're popular Ambercrombie and Fitch kids",they don't buy it because it's pandering garbage.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:51 am Reply with quote
LOL I just read the rest of this thread. I'm not advocating piracy since it's a. illegal and b. I don't even know how you go about doing it,but you gotta love how pissed off some people get because some guy didn't buy a DVD of a cartoon.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Geez, I wonder what you would say to a murderer or rapist. Alright then...have fun with that.

You're despicable because according to you nobody but you matters. You see no reason to care about others if there is nothing it it for you. This is not interpretation. This is what you have said. Attitude-wise, you might as well be a rapist or a murderer. Following your way of thinking, you would be one if there wasn't a risk of getting caught. And as I see it, attitude is what it's all about. Anyone can not be a bastard because of the consequences. Decent people do it regardless. According to your comments, you are not one of these people.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:57 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:

You're despicable because according to you nobody but you matters. You see no reason to care about others if there is nothing it it for you. This is not interpretation. This is what you have said. Attitude-wise, you might as well be a rapist or a murderer. Following your way of thinking, you would be one if there wasn't a risk of getting caught. And as I see it, attitude is what it's all about. Anyone can not be a bastard because of the consequences. Decent people do it regardless. According to your comments, you are not one of these people.

...dude...I was talking about ANIME. What's wrong with you? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Are you actually arguing that because I have no problem downloading anime, I would also not have a problem with raping somebody if I couldn't get caught? Are you crazy?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:12 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
...dude...I was talking about ANIME. What's wrong with you? Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
Are you actually arguing that because I have no problem downloading anime, I would also not have a problem with raping somebody if I couldn't get caught? Are you crazy?

Why not? According to you: "yes it does occur to me there are other people, but no, I do not care, as I have no reason to care. Will caring gain me anything?" If this is your attitude, why does it change from one person to the next? Why are you utterly indifferent to some people but not others?

If you're now back tracking and are just saying that you don't care about others in certain situations or to a certain extent then fine. Next time though, don't say stupid shit like this if you don't mean it because as I said, truly holding such a view is detestable.

Anyway, I'm done with this. Whatever you mean, I've made my view clear. There's no sense in discussing this further.

EDIT: Sorry animehermit. I'm afraid you're too late and you've missed the argument. (As well as my point entirely. My issue here is not with piracy but with the underlying attitude of complete selfishness). As I said though, I'm done here. Better luck next time.

Last edited by ikillchicken on Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:31 am; edited 3 times in total
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:19 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
DmonHiro wrote:
Geez, I wonder what you would say to a murderer or rapist. Alright then...have fun with that.

you do realize that:

1) pirating cartoons and Raping and murdering are two different things? one of them nets you a fine or possibly a lawsuit the other two lands you in jail for years.

2) no one cares what you think, and ranting off-topic in a thread where most everyone downloads fansubs is no way to express your opinion. You come off as an asshat and a douchebag

3)DmonHiro has done nothing but being completely reasonable and logical in his argument, and even had the decency to be honest about his own personal viewing habits. From what i can tell he has a very eclectic and rare taste in anime so i can forgive his need to torrent.
sailorneorune

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:20 am Reply with quote
I watch anime through the tried-and-true method of good ol' DVD, for what I believe are several good reasons.

First of all, I don't feel like sitting in front of this bloody computer all day watching the seventh revision of something that I<3SASUNARU42 and 14 other faceless denizens of the internet threw together in 20 minutes - 25 if you count the time it took to put together the 256-color dancing karaoke font.

Secondly, it supports the R1 anime industry who, believe it or not, do put out a quality product, especially considering the level of BS they have to deal with. Their acquisition teams talk to Japanese businesspeople all day, which I'd imagine is equivalent to trying to teach Esperanto to a brick wall.

Thirdly, if you come to find that what you were watching on DVD is complete and utter crap, you can give it a good home with someone else who has bad taste, and you can use the money to get something that DOESN'T suck.

And finally, being able to watch good anime at one's convenience, like Nausicaa, Gundam, Sailor Moon, or Mini-Goddess helps take one's mind off rubbish like He is My Master, Juden-chan, or some other pandering crap.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:24 am Reply with quote
Most of my anime viewing is still on TV, live or via VCR. That lets me afford Bandai Visual USA/Honneamise releases like Gunbuster and the eponymous Wings of Honneamise. Eventually I'll get all of Gainax's work up to Eva TV, plus Gurren Lagann. Can't watch most anime streams legally, and I can't be bothered to use proxies.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:27 am Reply with quote
Actually, while He Is My Master is 101% crap, you should give Juuden-chan a second chance. It is actually...believe it or not, quite good. It one of the best messages I've ever SEEN in anime, especially for the Japanese, where depression and suicide are a serious problem. Yes, it has some really bad (and strange) fanservice, but the story is actually decent. The last episode's scene when Kouta was talking that boy out of killing himself was very touching, as was the scene when he was talking about how much Plug helped him and his sister. I was honestly very surprised by the storytelling. I guess you really can't judge a book by it's...fanservice. But honestly, peeing? Who came up with that, and why?

PS: This one's one of the few in CR you can watch pretty much anywhere. It does not seem to be region locked, but their version is censored. And in this case...it might be for the best.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
Whenever I read online that someone is asking why anime isn't more mainstream, I have to keep from laughing and remind myself that the person asking must be from a younger generation then myself.

(A hint as to my age: I was in the fourth grade when Voltron premiered on American television in the fall of 1984. There, I admitted it: I'm old).

Anyway, those folks who ask about this obviously didn't live through the 1980's. Back then, you couldn't walk into a mall store like Hot Topic and find anime-related stuff. In order to get anime-related merchandise, you either had to buy stuff that was produced in the U.S. for the English dubs of series (like Voltron and Robotech), or you had to find a Japanese import shop and pay a pretty penny. Also, you couldn't see anime that easily on American television, and there weren't websites to stream episodes, and no video on demand services. In other words, it was the dark ages.

I have to conclude that those wishing anime was more mainstream would be completely lost if they went back in time 20-25 years, and would realize just how good they've got it...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Stretch24

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I'll probably get hammered for this, but maybe somebody will find it interesting. I like the latest anime, the shows which are currently running in Japan itself and which can be seen via fansubs (and now legal downloads) within a couple days of their premiere. I've been doing this for at least five years, so until recently fansubs were the only option. The thought has occured to me that perhaps I should try out these legal downloads, but I'm uncomfortable with submitting the personal information that might be needed, after all the naughty stuff I've done. Plus I don't understand them very well. I'm also a "material" person, I like to collect anime, and I'm not sure if these downloads could be burned onto a DVD or could only be watched once on the computer. Since the system of utilizing fansubs which I've developed works perfectly well, so far I haven't gotten involved.

So I get the bulk of my anime via BitTorrents downloads/fansubs. I find that if I wait about a week after the latest fansubs become available I can burn pretty much every episode of the week of every show I'm currently watching onto a single DVD. That's very convenient. I haven't got much money at the moment; I used to also rent some shows via at Netflix-like rent-by-mail service, but I quit that when the money ran short. It quickly became clear that new R1 DVDs were too expensive for me (like cars); instead I shopped the internet for used ones and VHS anime tapes. I built up quite a collection of fine anime, though much of it is on VHS tape. I'm sort of a stick-in-the-mud sort of person where technology is involved. I knew little about the internet before I got into anime, and am suspicious of BlueRay. DVDs seem perfectly satisfactory to me, seeing as I can remember the days when you watched TV shows when they were broadcast of not at all. I fear that wave after wave of fresh technology will leave me behind, and someday I'll have to go to a museum to find a working VHS player. Fantastic quality resolution is no big deal to me, in fact I often need to downgrade resolution on my fansubs in order to make them playable on my DVD player.

I can't help wishing that I had somehow heard about the wonderful world of anime, and the fansubbers were working as hard as ever, yet anime had never developed quite enough interest to become a profitable industry in the West. If that had been the case there would be no conflict between legal and not legal anime, and nobody in authority would care that I was watching animation from another country. It seems that legal conflict only appears when there's money to be had; what's the saying, nine-tenths of the law has to do with the distribution of property? If only anime had no dollar value to it, and was driven only by enthusiasm and charity. Maybe that's unrealistic, but I can always dream.
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Random tidbit of the day:

The Daughter of Twenty Faces / Nijuu Mensou no Musume has sound effects in the opening.

When fansubbing it, many people complained about us adding sound effects. ^^;

Last edited by Tofusensei on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7