• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-02-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenchi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
The Tenchi Muyo 2nd OVA series opening "Boku wa Motto Pioneer" has water splashing and Ryo-Ohki mewing just before the chorus.

The Lucky Star opening has the girls talking in the hallway with indistinct chatter in the background.

Of course, there's the bell tolls just before the music kicks in during the Sailor Moon opening, if that counts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ABCBTom

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of the ones who rely on "good old DVD" almost exclusively, although I have recently watched a few streaming shows on crunchyroll. I haven't downloaded a fansub since Geneon's collapse. Those shows I did watch fansubbed and are available, like Monster and Sgt. Frog, I am buying the R1 releases. For those series like Yakitate Japan which will never come out, I'm buying the manga. And for those series that will never never never come out, like Angel's Egg, I buy on LaserDisc or R2 DVD. Do I relish spending $60 on a movie that's only 71 minutes long? Not particularly. The industry, like it or not, responds to market forces: Shows that make money will inspire similar shows to be created.

The anime fan has the power to reshape the industry, whether they choose to use it or not. Those who purchase shows dictate the direction the industry will take. Those who do not choose to be passive, and have their tastes dictated to them. I would like to see more gateway drug type series, as well as more risk-taking, artistic series. But the studios won't take those risks unless they know we're there, ready to back them up.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Stretch24 wrote:
The thought has occured to me that perhaps I should try out these legal downloads, but I'm uncomfortable with submitting the personal information that might be needed, after all the naughty stuff I've done.
That is more than a bit paranoid.

Stretch24 wrote:
It seems that legal conflict only appears when there's money to be had; what's the saying, nine-tenths of the law has to do with the distribution of property?
Possession is nine-tenths of the law.

Stretch24 wrote:

If only anime had no dollar value to it, and was driven only by enthusiasm and charity. Maybe that's unrealistic, but I can always dream.
That's so far from realistic that I don't think "unrealistic" can even begin to suffice. You might as well ask that everyone forego their salaries and work instead out of love for the job.

Tofusensei wrote:

Nijuu Mensou no Musou

The Dream of Twenty Faces? The Blank Mind of Twenty Faces? Razz

Tofusensei wrote:

has sound effects in the opening.

When fansubbing it, many people complained about us adding sound effects. ^^;

That's a pretty silly complaint. I'd be tempted to put in squeaky clown shoe noises in the next episode's OP just to piss them off. And thanks for the work on the subs, very nice quality. It's rare to find fansubs that actually translate credits instead of just putting in their own credits (QC Checker: TruckNutz69). It's a shame Nijuu Mensou never got released on blu-ray in Japan or licensed in the US. I got the impression it didn't do very well in Japan.

Last edited by hissatsu01 on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
you touched on a point Brian that really sings with me. Anime as a medium. it runs the gamut as far as genres go.
There's no "as" about it. Anime is a medium, with a spectrum of genres that surpasses live action.
Stefnick

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and for once I'd like to find a Funimation title without Vic Mignogna in it

Baccano, Big wingup, Beck, Black Cat, Black Lagoon, Basilisk, Blassreiter, Blue Gender, Burst angel, Coyote Ragtime show, D.Grey-man, Desert Punk, El Cazador, Elemental Gelade, Ergo Proxy, Fate/ Stay Night, Fruits Basket, Gad Guard, The Galaxy Railroad, Ghost Hunt, Gungrave, Gunslinger Girl, Jyo-oh-sei, Kanon, Karin, Kodocha, Moonphase, Nabari no Ou, Negima, Origin, Romeo X Juilet, Rumbling Hearts, Sakura Taisen, Samurai 7, Slayers, Solty Rei, Speed Grapher, Spice and Wolf, The Story of Saiunkoku, Strain, Sasami, St. Frog, Shana, Tenchi Muyo, The Tower of Druaga,Witchblade, xxxholic
Rolling Eyes
And this is decent chuck of Funimation's catalog, This is not including those were he speaks a few lines or whose character was only present for one or two episodes. Enjoy.

heavy sigh...
animefan1238

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Stefnick wrote:
Quote:
and for once I'd like to find a Funimation title without Vic Mignogna in it

Baccano, Big wingup, Beck, Black Cat, Black Lagoon, Basilisk, Blassreiter, Blue Gender, Burst angel, Coyote Ragtime show, D.Grey-man, Desert Punk, El Cazador, Elemental Gelade, Ergo Proxy, Fate/ Stay Night, Fruits Basket, Gad Guard, The Galaxy Railroad, Ghost Hunt, Gungrave, Gunslinger Girl, Jyo-oh-sei, Kanon, Karin, Kodocha, Moonphase, Nabari no Ou, Negima, Origin, Romeo X Juilet, Rumbling Hearts, Sakura Taisen, Samurai 7, Slayers, Solty Rei, Speed Grapher, Spice and Wolf, The Story of Saiunkoku, Strain, Sasami, St. Frog, Shana, Tenchi Muyo, The Tower of Druaga,Witchblade, xxxholic
Rolling Eyes
And this is decent chuck of Funimation's catalog, This is not including those were he speaks a few lines or whose character was only present for one or two episodes. Enjoy.

heavy sigh...

Tuche! Vic is a good VA not the best but in the parts i have seen him in he did a good job in them. The problem is the studios don't seem to be hiring new actors but I am sure it is for financial reasons but I am sure once the economy gets better we might see a boom on new VAs comming out.
Cait

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I always thought I was an anime fan, but apparently for the last ten years I've simply been mistaken. I don't keep up with what's new and hot in fansubs. I don't actually care what the flavor of the season show is in Japan. I watch one or two shows on Adult Swim, read reviews on ANN and other sites and put DVDs on my Blockbuster rental Queue to be watched (sometimes months or years) later. At the end of every year I read Theron and Carl's "Best of" column and I put whatever title Theron said was the "best of the year" in my TRSI shopping cart (and many of the rest in my Blockbuster Queue). Yeah, I'm probably one of the five people who will still buy anime blind, based only on the recommendation of others. I drop over a $1,000/year on anime, manga and related merchandise. I enjoy it to no end.

But none of that makes me a fan, because that is not what the fandom has become. To anime fans, the entire medium is disposable. Some might buy the DVD or BD of their favorite title, or get merchandise, but there's no real interest or connection to owning it, to holding onto it (or to supporting the industry that creates it). I'm not in a hurry to see the next big thing. I always assumed I had time and it wasn't going anywhere. But I seem to be mistaken and, really, I'm not one of you and I probably never will be. That realization is sort of sad.

As far as that whole "yaoi backlash" thing is concerned, though, I do have to say I have heard more than my share of sob stories from teenaged girls who had their stashes revealed and destroyed by appalled parents. I'm actually a little surprised that it hasn't become a "legal" issue yet. But as Brian said, these kids aren't committing crimes or flunking school as a result of their hobby, so we probably aren't going to see this sort of backlash make the national news until some crazed yaoi fangirl commits suicide after blogging about how it will mimic something from one of her books or some pedophile is caught luring children with his copy of the latest June manga release. And even then, today's headlines are often forgotten tomorrow.

For the simple existence of yaoi to cause a stir, it would have to be so widespread among young girls that entire communities are affected. From what I understand, and especially since yaoi as a culture exists primarily on the internet with no paper trail, individual parents faced with the "crisis" of their teen daughters reading this stuff tend to keep it to themselves, lest they be mortified publicly, because, honestly, there are scarcely more than one girl in a school that would get caught at any given time. Most girls already know what their parents would think, and already go out of their way to hide it. It's an underground fandom for the most part and no one is stupid enough to reveal themselves, even if someone next to them has just been "caught."
Tofusensei

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
And thanks for the work on the subs, very nice quality. It's rare to find fansubs that actually translate credits instead of just putting in their own credits (QC Checker: TruckNutz69). It's a shame Nijuu Mensou never got released on blu-ray in Japan or licensed in the US. I got the impression it didn't do very well in Japan.

Thank you. I, too, wish for it to be licensed. Episode 6 alone made the series.
Quark

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Cait wrote:
But none of that makes me a fan, because that is not what the fandom has become. To anime fans, the entire medium is disposable. Some might buy the DVD or BD of their favorite title, or get merchandise, but there's no real interest or connection to owning it, to holding onto it (or to supporting the industry that creates it). I'm not in a hurry to see the next big thing. I always assumed I had time and it wasn't going anywhere. But I seem to be mistaken and, really, I'm not one of you and I probably never will be. That realization is sort of sad.

Don't feel too sad. There are still some of us in the hobby that don't treat it as disposable, and actually DO care about supporting the people that bring it to us. For me, owning a show is not the same as simply downloading it and burning it to a disk. I appreciate the hard work that the Japanese studios and R1 industry have done to bring me quality shows, and will support them as much as I can. I also don't enjoy blasting my way through as many shows as I can, as fast as I can, for fear of missing out on the next 'big thing' Anime is a hobby, I've got a good amount of shows for me to watch at my leisure, and I'll watch what I want to watch, not what's big at the moment. If I feel left out of online conversations because I'm not watching the new big show that's out right now, oh well. I'll just stick to watching the shows that I like, and collecting figures of my favourite characters.

Which leads to the Answerfan question - how do I watch my anime. 95% of the time, DVD. If it's a newer series, and it sounds really cool (Monster, Welcome to the NHK!, Haruhi) I might fansub it. But I also will buy those same shows when they're available (still waiting to buy Monster though) The only problem is, right now I'm wanting to watch some older series, and they're usually out of print, never licensed, or impossible to find. For example, I can't find Hana Yori Dango available to buy, so unfortunately, I have to watch it downloaded. But honestly, it's a rarity - I usually buy more anime than I can watch.

Also, Brian, the prison thing sounded like more crazy 'woe is me' type thing. I don't think he's actually going to prison, it sounded more like exageration.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:

Also, Brian, the prison thing sounded like more crazy 'woe is me' type thing. I don't think he's actually going to prison, it sounded more like exageration.

If you read some of the responses to the previous Answerman column, apparently he's already been in prison in the past for stalking Debbie Gibson. At very best, he has severe issues.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I also purchase DVDs for the anime series and films that I enjoy (many of which I first saw by checking out copies through my local library system). I do not illegally download anything, and will only watch streaming episodes of a series if I can't find a copy of the DVD through my local library system.

Cait wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:16 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:

Nijuu Mensou no Musou

He said mensou no musume, and he meant mensou no musume, your silly edit notwithstanding. The title of the anime is 二十面相の娘.

It's not clever to be a know-it-all, unless you actually do know it all.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:46 pm Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
hissatsu01 wrote:
Tofusensei wrote:

Nijuu Mensou no Musou

He said mensou no musume, and he meant mensou no musume, your silly edit notwithstanding. The title of the anime is 二十面相の娘.

It's not clever to be a know-it-all, unless you actually do know it all.

- abunai

Umm... I know the title. I'm certain he knows the title. He made a typo originally, writing musou instead of musume. I didn't edit it in my post, other than emboldening it. He later corrected it in his own post. If you look at the time of my post it was several hours before he edited his original post. Why would I edit someone's post when quoting to introduce an error, then make fun of an error they didn't make in the first place? Can't poke a little fun now? I thanked him for his work on the fansub in the same post and you seriously think I was attacking him?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I stand corrected, and apologise for my misinterpretation of your post.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:51 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:

2) no one cares what you think, and ranting off-topic in a thread where most everyone downloads fansubs is no way to express your opinion. You come off as an asshat and a douchebag

Obviously you care about what has been said and thus what has been thought.

Quote:
3)DmonHiro has done nothing but being completely reasonable and logical in his argument, and even had the decency to be honest about his own personal viewing habits. From what i can tell he has a very eclectic and rare taste in anime so i can forgive his need to torrent.

That's incorrect. DmonHiro started out on special pretenses none of us were aware of and then pulled out the "damn Americans" card when it was convenient.

And then what, are you the Pope of the internet or something? You FORGIVE his/her need to torrent? How generous.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder for making people take their own medicine; I think that's admirable. But if you become a douchey stew of asshattery in the process I wonder if those checkbooks balance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7