• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2010-02-05]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bored_Ming

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Cait, I think you are not as alone as you think. You will find many fans of anime, including myself, that still purchase dvds and support the genre and its artists. I think Henry V would have said this if he were an anime fan.

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his cash with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in Animeland now-a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That bought with us upon dvd release Tuesdays!

Last edited by Bored_Ming on Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:32 pm Reply with quote
BIG UP'S to Tofusensei for subbing Daughter of Twenty Faces, because that show rocked!

And was also a nice example of things we download because they are either too obscure to license, or if they haven't been by now, they ain't gonna be licensed.

Anyone seen RideBack? That show blew me away! Again, only available on bit torrent (although I wouldn't mind being proven wrong).

I love being an anime fan in today's world. You can pick your method of choice. Streaming, BT, or DVD. And if something is licensed, hopefully you buy the dvd to support the industry.

Besides, when it comes to anything with the name MACROSS on it, we are all torrent junkees. Go ahead, admit it. The truth will set you free.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:

Obviously you care about what has been said and thus what has been thought.

i cared more for the person he was slandering(liable-ing?) than the contents of his post.

That's incorrect. DmonHiro started out on special pretenses none of us were aware of and then pulled out the "damn Americans" card when it was convenient.

the only moment i can kind of see this is when he states early on that often times American viewers think their the only ones who watch anime, other than that he's only stated how much he doesn't care for the american anime industry, because, well, he's not american (which now that i think about it is more like me caring for the anime industry in south Africa or something).

And then what, are you the Pope of the internet or something? You FORGIVE his/her need to torrent? How generous.

perhaps a poor choice of words, what i should have said was that i can UNDERSTAND his need to torrent, not forgive. Although i did laugh at what you said.

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder for making people take their own medicine; I think that's admirable. But if you become a douchey stew of asshattery in the process I wonder if those checkbooks balance.

i'll take that as a compliment Wink

as well as into consideration, i do realize i come off as an asshat and a douche sometimes, but only when i feel it necessary.
momamario

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
To be honest, I'd have to disagree that anime is currently stuck in "otaku-niche" territory. Just yesterday I was on the bus home from a school trip reading my bigass Azumanga Daioh omnibus and one or two people asked me about it, mildly interested. As well I'm pretty open about being an anime fan (not so much in the weeaboo style, just that I wouldn't hide or deny the fact that I highly enjoy it)
I'm actually rarely insulted or called out on it. So either people don't want to offend me because I'm a nice guy or it's not quite as stigmatized as we all feel.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:17 am Reply with quote
Bored_Ming wrote:
Cait, I think you are not as alone as you think. You will find many fans of anime, including myself, that still purchase dvds and support the genre and its artists. ...

I'll second that. I'm all about quality BDs; if the movie checks out and the disc checks out, it's either on or getting on my shelf.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:

Take for example the previously mentioned Godannar. Yeah,I watched a couple eps,but are you really going to PURCHASE a DVD about generic Power Rangers with size G breasts?

Actually yes, I just bought it a month ago. $30 at Best Buy for the entire series, great price for a great show (and a great English dub).

Before going to college, almost all of my anime viewing was done on TV, first through Adult Swim, and then from The Anime Network VOD. Now that I'm here and do not have access to VOD, I have been watching DVDs, with a few legally streamed shows mixed in and [as] once in a while. I very much like to have my anime on physical media - it feels good to be able to hold it in my hand and know this is MY copy. I also like the quality of the DVDs over streams - I do not download BD or HD rips, it is against my morals. Though I can't say picture quality is a huge issue for me (plus buying BD is too expensive vs DVD).
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
DaisakuKusama wrote:

Anyone seen RideBack? That show blew me away! Again, only available on bit torrent (although I wouldn't mind being proven wrong).

Great show, and beautifully animated by Madhouse. I bought the Japanese blu-rays, but that didn't help much; it sold poorly, less than 1000 copies per volume. Many people seem to have dropped the show as it progressed for requiring too much suspension of disbelief. I can't relate too much since right from the start the premise is totally unrealistic (Terrorists/Revolutionaries on robotic motorcycles topple the world's governments); thinking too hard on this one doesn't make things better. Maybe it'll still get picked up for a cheap sub-only release, though it would be a shame if it was DVD-only, as it looks very good in HD.

Incidentally, one of the shipments of this show to me was stopped by US Customs; I had to sign a declaration to get it released. "I/we declare that the film(s)/ video(s) contains no obscene or immoral matter, nor any matter advocating or urging treason or insurrection against the United States, nor any threat to take the life of or inflict bodily harm upon any person in the United States."

I know it was a generic form, but as innocuous as Rideback is, I thought it was pretty funny to have to state that.
Dante80

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:52 am Reply with quote
I use fansubs for around 80% of the anime I watch/re-watch. I mostly use IRC to get them.

I also import R1 and R2j DVDs for the shows/movies I really like, and use them mainly for re-watching. Just bought a bluray drive for the PC too, hopefully I'll soon have some BDs to play around with...^^

I'd never pay to own a DVD for something I haven't already watched (and liked). Especially for anime.
Kidnicky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
Kidnicky wrote:

Take for example the previously mentioned Godannar. Yeah,I watched a couple eps,but are you really going to PURCHASE a DVD about generic Power Rangers with size G breasts?

Actually yes, I just bought it a month ago. $30 at Best Buy for the entire series, great price for a great show (and a great English dub).

Before going to college, almost all of my anime viewing was done on TV, first through Adult Swim, and then from The Anime Network VOD. Now that I'm here and do not have access to VOD, I have been watching DVDs, with a few legally streamed shows mixed in and [as] once in a while. I very much like to have my anime on physical media - it feels good to be able to hold it in my hand and know this is MY copy. I also like the quality of the DVDs over streams - I do not download BD or HD rips, it is against my morals. Though I can't say picture quality is a huge issue for me (plus buying BD is too expensive vs DVD).

Not only does it boggle my mind that someone would admit to paying 30 dollars for a show about poorly drawn robots and poorly drawn breasts,it absolutely shocks me that one of the reasons for doing so was apparently some sort of moral code you have. I just don't see how watching the lowest,cheapest form of cartoon softcore in the guise of a power ranger knockoff is somehow morally acceptable as long as you don't rent it,stream it,or dl it.
I was alone when I watched it,yet still turned it off out of embarrassment.
Stretch24

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
"Supporting the anime industry" is fine and dandy, but if I were in Japan all I'd need to do to contribute my support is fast-forward through the ads. I'm sure they were hoping for more than that, but it would still be perfectly legal. The R1 industry costs a lot more to support. Or maybe I should say the viewer has fewer options about the degree of support that he or she will offer. And somehow I get the message that my genuine devotion to anime is supposed to be directly proportional to the amount of money I spend on legal DVDs. Thus people with money to spare are better otaku than those without. And someone who buys a full price DVD rather than one on sale is better yet. Anime is an expensive hobby here in North America, at least if you want to keep it legal.
animeboy12

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:44 am Reply with quote
Kidnicky wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:
Kidnicky wrote:

Not only does it boggle my mind that someone would admit to paying 30 dollars for a show about poorly drawn robots and poorly drawn breasts,it absolutely shocks me that one of the reasons for doing so was apparently some sort of moral code you have. I just don't see how watching the lowest,cheapest form of cartoon softcore in the guise of a power ranger knockoff is somehow morally acceptable as long as you don't rent it,stream it,or dl it.

You know, I wanna take this post seriously but anyone who is boggled in this day and age that people have a different opinion than them just doesn't deserve to be taking seriously
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:48 am Reply with quote
Stretch24 wrote:
"Supporting the anime industry" is fine and dandy, but if I were in Japan all I'd need to do to contribute my support is fast-forward through the ads. I'm sure they were hoping for more than that, but it would still be perfectly legal. The R1 industry costs a lot more to support. Or maybe I should say the viewer has fewer options about the degree of support that he or she will offer. And somehow I get the message that my genuine devotion to anime is supposed to be directly proportional to the amount of money I spend on legal DVDs. Thus people with money to spare are better otaku than those without. And someone who buys a full price DVD rather than one on sale is better yet. Anime is an expensive hobby here in North America, at least if you want to keep it legal.

Why do I get a sense of deja vu? By any standard being an anime fan in Japan is far more expensive than just about anywhere. If you're not going to buy anything, and download everything, the costs are the same worldwide - whatever your internet access and storage space costs. But if you're buying anything, Japan is far more expensive. Aside from popular children's shows and shows that have been running for decades, anime is not paid for by commercials. It's paid for by sales of DVD/Blu-ray and merchandise. No more sales equals no more anime.

As for whether spending more makes you more of a fan or a better fan, it's irrelevant. Anime is a business, and devotion alone doesn't pay the bills. Having fans is nice, but having paying fans is necessary.
DaisakuKusama

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:

Incidentally, one of the shipments of this show to me was stopped by US Customs; I had to sign a declaration to get it released. "I/we declare that the film(s)/ video(s) contains no obscene or immoral matter, nor any matter advocating or urging treason or insurrection against the United States, nor any threat to take the life of or inflict bodily harm upon any person in the United States."

I know it was a generic form, but as innocuous as Rideback is, I thought it was pretty funny to have to state that.

Wow, that is really ironic, considering the subject matter of the show and the police state mentality of its "fictional" government.

Not sure if it's life imitating art, or the other way around!
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote
animeboy12 wrote:
Kidnicky wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:
Kidnicky wrote:

You know, I wanna take this post seriously but anyone who is boggled in this day and age that people have a different opinion than them just doesn't deserve to be taking seriously

You know I feel the same way, and was pretty sure I would get a response like this from said user. I wasn't going to reply, but there seems to be some misunderstanding of what I posted.

Bringing up my "moral code" really doesn't make any sense. I bought the DVDs because I thought the show was worth spending money on. You are obviously disgusted at the sight of big breasts and can't look past that to see the gem of a story that pays homage to the giant robot shows of old. Fanservice does not equal crap.
Stretch24

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Why do I get a sense of deja vu? By any standard being an anime fan in Japan is far more expensive than just about anywhere. If you're not going to buy anything, and download everything, the costs are the same worldwide - whatever your internet access and storage space costs. But if you're buying anything, Japan is far more expensive.

Yes, I know that the price of living in general is considerably higher in Japan than in the US, and I'm not volunteering to trade places with someone there. The point is that a TV viewer in Japan would have the option of legally watching a show virtually free of charge (yes, yes, a TV license), whereas an American one doesn't. The Japanese viewer could then decide if the show was worth collecting on professional quality DVDs after seeing it, while from the start the only legal options open to me are the more expensive methods of renting and buying. Therefore, for all intents and purposes, I would say that legal anime (including simply watching it on TV) is more expensive over here.

Quote:
Aside from popular children's shows and shows that have been running for decades, anime is not paid for by commercials. It's paid for by sales of DVD/Blu-ray and merchandise. No more sales equals no more anime.

Yes, but how many of the people who watch a given show on TV go ahead and buy the DVD version and assorted merchandise as well? I would guess that the vast majority will conclude that the show wasn't great enough to justify the additional expenditure. But since free, legal viewing isn't available to me, I seem to have no choice but to be one of the higher spending bunch, since that's the only way for me to keep my anime hobby legal.

Quote:
As for whether spending more makes you more of a fan or a better fan, it's irrelevant. Anime is a business, and devotion alone doesn't pay the bills. Having fans is nice, but having paying fans is necessary.

Considering how irrelevant it is, it gets implied a lot. Is it realistic to expect the entire American anime community to be in the upper spending tier? Might that not be one reason why fansubs have flourished in the first place? Because people resent being expected to pay an inflated price for virtually identical goods? No doubt there are plenty of selfish people (including me, no doubt), who just want free entertainment, but that would be a simplistic explanation of the problem as a whole.

Here's the paradox: I consider anime to be fascinating and entertaining, I watch little but anime, yet I don't see it as having much of a monetary value. Often times after watching an episode I wonder if it had even been worth the 23 minutes of time which I had spent on it, much less dollars and cents. I seldom watch an episode twice, and wouldn't even watch most of them once if there was a significant fee attached. Yet somehow anime as a whole remains intriguing. Just because I assign a low price to anime doesn't necessarily mean I assign it a low value. My limitations aren't due to a lack of interest so much as to my not having much money to work with.

My basic argument is that not everybody has to be--or can be--one of the high paying fans, the ones who buy the DVDs and general merchandise. Not everybody with a sincere interest in anime can afford it. But since in the current system that's the only way any money will find it's way back to Japan, such not-so-wealthy people will always be vulnerable to accusations of not supporting the industry. But are they refusing to support, or balking at the high price tags? Since the law automatically puts them on the losing side, why not just tune out and go watch fansubs instead of arguing endlessly?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7