• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Creative Destruction

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
SQ'Enix is probably punishing us for not saving Blu-Ray by triple-dipping on Advent Children. Rolling Eyes
bahamut623

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
I'm intrigued by Sands of Destruction, largely because of the Xenogears connection. I keep hearing the same thing about the game: that it can be frustrating and slow, but that there's still something about it to like, which I think is the Playstation-era-ness of it. It's not something I'd buy right now, but if I ever need a game to play on the DS and it's cheap I'd probably pick it up on a whim.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:00 am Reply with quote
Lufia: Now this is the real highlight of today's X Button. First of all, whooooooa on the Tia redesign. That is so drastically different from what I remember. In fact, I feel like I'm looking at an entirely different gal. And Berty and Bart's design and gender change, haha, now that is a riot. Those two were completely forgettable morons in Lufia 2, but this version warrants more of a laugh. As for that Lufia cell-phone port, I'd honestly get it because I never owned the SNES version (only rented it till I beat it). Great new artwork though. Who's the designer?

SoD: Like I said, this game will probably appeal to the kemono-lovers out there. It doesn't break new grounds and it doesn't do a lot of things right. Boosting? Seriously, Xenosaga did it already and it was fun then. Giving enemies random free turns seems sort of...dumb nowadays. High encounter rate? That's what makes most modern gamers shut off their systems. They should do what some RPGs do and either lower it moderately or program items that increase/decrease the encounter rate. Tales of games and Lufia do this right at least. And couldn't they have a more appealing beastman for your side? Seriously, a teddy bear? They couldn't have broken the cute mold and tried something more serious?
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:25 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
High encounter rate? That's what makes most modern gamers shut off their systems. They should do what some RPGs do and either lower it moderately or program items that increase/decrease the encounter rate.

Buying a bunch of Max Repels always makes me feel like I'm wasting my money, though running into Zubats every five steps is really annoying...
Senna

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:26 am Reply with quote
I'm curious about the new Lufia game -- I have the original Rise of the Sinistrals for SNES, but I didn't get very far in it. Cool to hear there'll be a remake.

The review here of Sands of Destruction reflects pretty much all the other reviews I've read of it -- some promise, but ultimately not that great. I don't think I'll pick it up unless I find it for cheap at some point down the road.

So pumped for the Miles Edgeworth game!
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:46 am Reply with quote
pbbbbbt, the almighty Korg! I remember my brother and I have screwed around with that thing in ways never before imagined.
FeralKat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
"BLANDS of Destruction" Laughing (Sums it up for me...)

I was sorely dissapointed with SoD after looking forward to it for so long. The entire thing was "been there, done that" for me. =/ The plot has so much promise, too. If I wanted classic PSX, I would replay Lunar or Grandia...

But Taupy is awesome! Very Happy
mlisette23

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:39 am Reply with quote
No announced pre-order bonuses or collector's edition is what's keeping me from ordering FFXIII right now. I'm thinking of waiting until the 13th and if nothing's announced I'll be pre-ordering it from Amazon.

It looks as if there might be a FFXIII bundle for Xbox 360.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:52 am Reply with quote
I'll be the first to say that I played the hell out of Lufia II for the SNES.

Now with this remake I might finally have a reason to own a DS...
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:20 am Reply with quote
I want the alarm clock. Crying or Very sad
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:26 am Reply with quote
FeralKat wrote:
"BLANDS of Destruction" Laughing (Sums it up for me...)

I was sorely dissapointed with SoD after looking forward to it for so long. The entire thing was "been there, done that" for me. =/ The plot has so much promise, too. If I wanted classic PSX, I would replay Lunar or Grandia...

But Taupy is awesome! Very Happy

It's that problem of a slow, dragging on beginning that makes me not want to play the game.

It's the same reason I refuse to play Mass Effect for a long long time. Because the beginning of the game takes about 3-5 hours to get going.

And it's about 1/4th of the game. ):

That and I really think the game should have taken itself a lot more seriously. I mean really, it had a chance to go somewhere with the oppression of ferals towards humans, but... Only a little while in and we find out it's not so much that they're OPPRESSIVE... just in control. Humans adapted and work with it and some are even on peaceful grounds between each other.

That's just a bit too boring in my book. It would have been nice if they'd kept that grim first draft, the game could have been 'really' dark and disturbing perhaps...
Akatsukiwolf

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:51 am Reply with quote
I want that alarm clock that shouts, "Yo~Wa~SHOCK!!". Laughing
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:54 am Reply with quote
Well, about Blaster Master Overdrive, Vic Ireland has admitted on the Sunsoft boards that by the time GaijinWorks started teaming with the company, Sunsft was already well into the development of Overdrive. Vic was just in the right time and place to announce it, but I wouldn't say that this game is the first big game to come out of the Sunsoft/GaijinWorks teaming.

Also, he's admitted that we won't be seeing any Telenet titles until another 2 or 3 Sunsoft games have been announced, due to the time it takes to get get through Nintendo's licensing process.
Flik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote
I can't wait for the Lufia II remake! Lufia is one of my favorite RPG series, though the GBC and GBA games are pretty awful. I grew up with Maxim and his descendents.

At first I was pretty disappointed with the idea that they are changing the game to an action RPG. I thought it was pretty damn good how they've had it. I will admit that I like the new character designs though, except for Dekar's pink hair lol.

After seeing the latest trailer, and the fact that they kept in the same exact music (which was awesome) and the Ancient Cave, I am actually pretty excited for it. Maybe this is the new step the Lufia franchise needs to go in the right direction. I'm pretty sure they are keeping the storyline intact and just changing the style of the game.

Heck, as long as I can hunt for Iris Treasures in the Ancient Cave, I don't really care.
Otakuboy T

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote
I hope the put the original on the VC.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2