• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Katsucon 2010

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for the new FMA B and Soul eater Figures!

Also, I'm just going to be the Immature one and say it.

spoiler[Gaylord.... hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaha]
apapazukamori

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why the review didn't mention the complete SNAFU related to pre-registration on Thursday and Friday. Yes, FedEx was held up by the snow, so the badges didn't arrive on Thursday. Information was not forthcoming in a timely fashion.

On Friday, they decided to issue paper vouchers in place of badges until the badges could arrive. This was a great idea. At least we could get in. Except, the pre-registration line opened at the same time the at-door registration line opened, which led to the people who had pre-registered (many who had stayed in the hotel on Thursday night) standing in line for an hour or more while the people in the at-door registration line waited roughly 20 minutes (we timed them; we had nothing better to do). It would have made more sense to open the tables up to pre-registered attendees first, or earlier, in order to process those of us who had already forked over our money (I pre-registered at Otakon, which the reviewer seems to imply is too uptight. At least they know how to process their registrants).

Absolutely unprofessional and ridiculous. Last year, Katsucon lumped all the attendees together during registration, forcing people to stand outside in mid-February weather for hours, then lined them up in the bowels of the parking garage. They made no distinction between pre-reg and at-door reg at all. This year, they continued to show pre-registration for their convention is pointless.

And don't get me started on the voucher-for-badge exchange.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
Best part of the hotel's layout? Being able to see a dude bang a hot girl across from our room. That was a new con experience I'll certainly never forget.
MsCongeniality

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:47 pm Reply with quote
All reports of Marines and Navy Seals in the Rave? 100% true. Also, awesome.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:18 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Best part of the hotel's layout? Being able to see a dude bang a hot girl across from our room. That was a new con experience I'll certainly never forget.

I'm clearly going to the wrong cons. Sad
loka

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
wasn't just the Seals/Marines. There was some conservative christian convention going on; members of which apparently assaulted the Jesus cosplayer and were arrested.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this actually sounded like a fun con to go too. Hmm, I have relatives in the DC area only a few blocks from a metro stop, I could make this work. And I totally want to try the Shoot the hostage! panel, that sounds really cool.
Can't help but giggle every time I see "Gaylord," not because of the name but because I actually knew someone in high school with the same last name. Wish I could ask if they were relations.
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
loka wrote:
wasn't just the Seals/Marines. There was some conservative christian convention going on; members of which apparently assaulted the Jesus cosplayer and were arrested.
Really? I was informed that the Family Life group was actually a couple's counseling retreat.
Eos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
machetecat wrote:
loka wrote:
Really? I was informed that the Family Life group was actually a couple's counseling retreat.

Family Life ran a Christian couples retreat called A Weekend to Remember.
I was wondering how they'd react to the Jesus cosplayer, it's my first time hearing anything about violence. I'm not too sure that's true.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Brookedvnt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:26 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:

Glad everyone enjoyed the show, does anyone happen to know who slid the note under our door that had only four lines saying "Thanks For The Show" the person who did this will know what was unique about the letters so we figure if the party responsible responds they can prove they are, in fact, the creators.

It's too bad some of you spectators didn't take the initiative and come over, it could have changed their situation, from voyeur, to exhibitionist. We had stayed in our room most of the convention and hoped for more playmates as we have either hosted or been a guest at fun parties in the past, but didn't get things together nor received an invite this year.

We did get one visitor, but they didn't seem to know exactly what to say or do at the door, to which they I think chickened out and froze, even though we were nice and friendly, but could only muster the speech to say, "Ummm, I'm from across the way" I interrupted, "Yes, one over, one up." He said, "Yeah do you think you could possibly close your curtains, everyone can see you two having ummmm ..." I ended, "sex" he continued, "Yeah, and I need to sleep." I said, "Well, you could always stop standing on your balcony, close yours, and go to sleep. But we're done, for now, and now, so desperately need a smoke." I closed the door, and then he left.

Yet I really think he wanted to, and tried his best, to say something to the affect of joining. And, we were nice, and tried to get to the point of inviting him in, but due to his banter in opposition and illogical non-sense, never got to that point. His finding something he thought seemed a legitimate reason, an expected reaction that any uptight adult would have, regarding our playfulness, for him to be standing in our doorway, like a frustrated, "I know my rights!", middle aged man asking the music be turned down, took the place of stating what he truly desired, to which I doubt he knew, just how close he was, in fulfilling it.

Lesson to all,
If in those shoes, be strong, and brave, state what you desire with conviction, often it is received well and respected, whether an invitation is extended or not, one has to admire the bravery of doing so.

And remember, their are only two outcomes in that, either you walk away, or you walk inside.

Ryoko and Brooke[/img]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1