• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - NISA Explains It All

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Such cute Engrish accents! I hope they do well, they're so enthusiastic. Smile
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
I guess I'm one of those super hyped Otakus who won't buy it with out an English dub. PandoraHearts the exception. One it was just that good and two I watched the fansub. Well the lack of a dub doesn't rule the series out but it does put it way low on my to-watch-list. Personally now a days, I just can't focus on an anime if I'm reading subs.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
I will buy Toradora ... I hope that it ends up being cheaper on rightstuf than $59.99 for a half-set without a dub, though Shocked

I love how enthusiastic they sound - I hope they are successful enough to eventually get more licenses and start dubbing. I love Funimation, but it's always nice to have some competition in the mix.
machetecat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
I highly approve of the Engrish accents. That was adorable to listen to.

I really like how they're approaching the market for the most part, however, the part at the end about their sub quality makes me nervous. I've never really sat down and played any of their games (not a big gamer), but I wouldn't be happy if I bought a sub-only DVD, and it had a bunch of typos.

I'm also not a big fan of online shopping, since keeping a budget is hard to do when I'm shopping with my credit card, so the fact that they're only doing online retail for now saddens me a bit.

So I guess for now I'll try Toradora. I hope their special edition sets are really cute. However, if their subs are too bad, I probably won't buy any more from them. I generally don't like to buy sub-only, but I also understand their hesitation to jump into a dub right away, and I'd rather help new companies get on their feet right now than get angry that they're not doing things according to my wishes. They seem to really care, so....

...however, I still want them to experiment with dubs eventually. I hope they remember that.
The Count

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
That was a fun and upbeat show. I'm usually a dub only guy unless I see the publisher putting a little heart in the releases like Rightstuf. But their attitude alone make me want to support them. NIS, as long as there are no translation or video quality issues you can put me down for a copy of Toradora and Persona. I'm very interested in what kind of extras they put out.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Good show this week. Glad we get to hear from NIS so soon. I like them :3 they sound really excited and I hope everything goes as well as planned

I just feel bad because the 4 titles they licensed aren't really what I'm looking for. But if the price is good, I might check out Pandora Hearts.
Plus I know lots of people were wanting Toradora, so hopefully those people will buy it and just get over that it has no dub ((they're new guys D: cut them some slack!))
Tyranoid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm optimistic. Smile

I'm a dub fan. I was a little disappointed to hear they're unable to afford to dub their shows at this point and time, but it's perfectly understandable. They're a relatively new player in this game. And although I'm unfamiliar with their work in video games, I got the impression they're a fairly small operation.

To their credit, I think they're approaching the market wisely. In my opinion, I think what they've licensed so far represent fairly niche titles. So it's wise of them not to spend a great deal of money dubbing a show that will in all honesty reach only a small audience. They're opting out of distributing to brick and mortar retailers which is another wise move considering the content of the product they're putting out there. They're releasing in half season box sets which seems to be the way to go nowadays as far as FUNimation, Sentai Filmworks, and Viz are concerned. Their products are competitively priced. And they're producing limited runs.

At this point, I'm more concerned with making sure I'm able to buy their products if there is indeed a real risk of them becoming unavailable due to their limited quantities.

I wish them the best of luck. Having more anime out there can't be a bad thing.
allengator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
I loved hearing from NISA. Put me in the group that's sad about not having a dub for Toradora!, but I do understand the reluctance the way the market it right now. Its just refreshing to hear from a publisher who sounds semi-optimistic despite the current circumstances.

If they are in fact releasing half sets of series around $60 MSRP, then I probably will buy a set or two from them from rightstuf. As long as they grab some decent titles, I feel like I should support them. Admittedly, I am not as excited about sub-only releases and probably won't look at anything less than something I have prior knowledge of, but I hope that someday they can be a big enough distributor that they can rerelease some of these early titles with a dub. I wish them the best of luck!
Quark

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:09 am Reply with quote
I agree, I like these guys too. They sound like they've done their homework on the issue, and are being cautious and taking their time in getting properly set up. The fact that they're including special collectables to make up for a lack of dub is also good news. That's one of the best things about Rightstuf, and it's good to see this company following suit.
Hell, I liked them so much that I think I'll also buy Pandora Hearts in addition to Toradora!
NISA, best of luck to you guys.
nateotaku

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
It seems to me that Zac and Justin don't care for many Anime, in fact I think I have almost never heard them say a positive thing about any Anime. Confused
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Not sure what to think. I mean I wish them the best, but they just didn't say anything reassuring. they said they plan to stick to their own strengths, but they didn't explain what their strengths are, not to mention people have already noted their dodgy translations.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
At first I was a little leery of the $60 MSRP for half sets, but after I looked up a few things on TRSI that seems to be about right for Funi's stuff as well. Huh, you really forget how big the discounts are with their sales, but with limited runs I may have to simply get the membership to TRSI so I can pick up my beloved Pandora Hearts (ack, wish that someone had asked them when they hoped to get Toradora out first, I'm hoping that all these shows make it out this year but I'm a little leery after how Funi can license a show and sit on it for over a year).
But it does sound like they've done their homework and that everything should turn out fine, fingers crossed!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
nateotaku wrote:
It seems to me that Zac and Justin don't care for many Anime, in fact I think I have almost never heard them say a positive thing about any Anime. Confused

You aren't listening well enough. They usually do talk about one or two things each broadcast that they do like.

I actually liked Batman: Gotham Knight better than most of the Animatrix, myself. Maybe because I'm so attached to Batman and found it easier to get into the whole Batman vibe than The Matrix, which was never really my cup of tea.

As far as NISA, it'll be interesting to see another anime licensor in competition out there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
gingi789

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
it doesn't really matter to me that they're not going to be dubbing the titles; while i like dubs, i don't mind subs, and almost no one i know wants the dub over sub. Besides, they're licensing Toradora!-which i know i will end up buying.

I am kind of happy that they're going to be releasing extra goodies with their boxsets; one of the things that bugs me about Funimation's new release style (and why i like Bandai) is that they have really cool extras. (CD's, pencil boards, boxes, etc).

By the way, to Zac or Justin-have you guys ever seen Red vs. Blue? When i think of Halo animation, i really can't imagine an anime-i think of Sarge and Doughnut and Grif.
mudduck454

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:32 am Reply with quote
I just hope we at least get the token shorts like the R2 versions, well looks like my girlfriend will miss another great show, she loves the romance comedies like toradora, but just like itazura na kiss, only available in R2 no subs, unless you get fansubs of it, and now toradora will be sub only, 2 great shows she will never watch,

well I decided to finally start learning japanese so I don't need subtitles, I grabbed the cheaper of the 2 software to learn, rosetta stone is too expensive, 500.00USD, so I got the instant immersion version for 50.00USD, wish me luck.......
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5