• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hetalia Axis Powers Anime Movie Titled

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Oh god yes! Very Happy
Keyl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh god no! Confused
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Keyl wrote:
Oh god no! Confused

There's obviously a fan following for the anime, so let them rejoice. Trolling a thread you have no initial interest in is a sad waste of time.
Almaz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:26 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Keyl wrote:
Oh god no! Confused

There's obviously a fan following for the anime, so let them rejoice. Trolling a thread you have no initial interest in is a sad waste of time.

I haven't seen Hetalia yet; however, I am interested from the fanfare of the show. I always wondered what exactly is trolling. Look it up on Wikipedia. In some ways the first comment can be seen as much so as the second. I would like to read why the show is "oh god no" or "of god yes."
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
I haven't seen Hetalia yet; however, I am interested from the fanfare of the show. I always wondered what exactly is trolling. Look it up on Wikipedia. In some ways the first comment can be seen as much so as the second. I would like to read why the show is "oh god no" or "of god yes."

You're right, I should have put more substance in my post.

Oh God yes! Because I'm a world history buff, as well as a nationality mutt, and hetalia amuses me on so many levels with everything from their country stereotypes to the moments of history they try to explain.

Besides, where else can I find an anime with a Lithuanian? That's initially what got me to try it out. I've got family connections in Germany, Canada, England, Lithuania, and of course USA. Hetalia is a weird sort of national pride thing with me I can't even begin to try explaining. The best I can even attempt at is it's like watching the Olympics without all the sports. But with a focus on the drama.... or maybe something more like a Model-UN club gone crazy. It's not for everybody, but if you have an interest in international relations and a sense for its humor Hetalia is great fun.
Splitter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Still trying to figure out how a Hetalia movie would even work.
Maryohki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited, but also a bit annoyed. The anime is already doing a terrible job of representing any character that isn't one of the main Axis or Allies. If the movie is going to be just them and Prussia? Ugh. Not to mention, what's Prussia even worth without Hungary and Austria? Or at least France and Spain.

Of course I'm aware that the Axis powers and Allied forces are the most popular characters, as well as Prussia, and they're in it to make money. It honestly wouldn't bother me at all if the actual TV series wasn't pulling the exact same crap of just doing strips with the super popular characters and ignoring the others. Didn't Studio DEEN say at one point that the War of Austrian Succession would be animated in season 2? Well, season 2 is almost over and there still hasn't been anything even close to the War of Austrian Succession. This is just getting old.
domino

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm in the same boat as the above poster -- I'm not quite sure I like the anime adaptation's portrayal of the characters compared to the manga. But maybe a movie is just what the Hetalia anime needs. The anime feels like it is suffering from the huge time pressure to fit each story into five minutes so the characters feel like they are missing something and talk way too fast. Animation budget is rather low, too (though the original comic is mostly scribbles so can't really complain about visuals -- though I do love those scribbles).

Maybe a nice long movie will finally give Hetalia the length and budget it needs to shine as an anime.
care2care

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
Still trying to figure out how a Hetalia movie would even work.

Me too. The show is comprised of small parodies of country interactions and exaggerated stereotype jokes. (My personal favorite: When Germany goes shopping) But will the movie just be like the show or would it have a plot this time? (lol at the idea of Hetalia having a plot)
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
...my face is sad because Deen are doing the movie as well.

Deen are...frankly not a good studio. I have yet to see an anime by them that was actually 'great'. The Hetalia anime is in the realm of 'oooookaaaaay' (at least it's fun to watch though) but some of Deen's choices in the direction (for example, the fact that half the artists seem to be colourblind) annoys me to no end. I was hoping for a different studio to handle the movie...

We better at least be getting super pretty improved movie-quality animation.
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Hurrah! I'm definitely happy Anime catgrin but I wish they'd tell us exactly what the 'plot' would be. Or atleast hint at it. Ditto on the 'don't know how a movie is going to work' thing.

Quote:
The movie will adapt Hidekaz Himaruya's Hetalia - Axis Powers web manga, just as the two earlier television seasons did and the upcoming new television season will in March.

So I take it that means that its going to be about one of the actual strips and not something entirely made up/new like I and a few others speculated.... I don't know whether thats good news or bad seeing as it would have made more sense to make up something new since for the life of me I can't think of any strips that would actually make it as a film but whatever, i'm sure it'll all come together and make sense eventually. (I certainly hope so since the whole 'Paint it, White' has thrown me for a loop.)
utumo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
Too many characters, too many cliche-ed plots, and weak mainstream storyline(s). Sorry but it is too hard to approach Hetalia.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1