• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Kurt in Earnest

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BDK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:11 pm Reply with quote
Man, Zac, I thought you really got a hold of yourself in the middle of that blooper there. Nice rebound though. Wink
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Is there anyway you can post the List of Popular anime on Crunchyroll, sounds intriguing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Paprika better than Paranoia Agent? I would have to strongly disagree there. The antagonist (heck the last half hour) of Paprika was so cliche that I had a hard time believing it was a Satoshi Kon film. Wow? You mean spoiler[the old guy was actually the culprit all along?] I never had guessed!

I love Kon films, particularly Perfect Blue and Tokyo Godfathers, but Paprika is not one of his high points, storywise. Visually, of course, it's gorgeous.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:52 pm Reply with quote
My view on Scanlations is that I only read them to play catch up, but I am buying the ones I want which is FMA and Tsubasa Chronicle. I'm happy to buy stuff and I read the ones I'm not going to buy by getting them from the library, which is the free way I get them.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
Out of curiosity (it may be a dumb question), are scanlations for doujins fair game considering for most of them you sometimes have to go to Comiket to even buy one (even importing them tends to be tricky as some don't even allow that)?
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:10 am Reply with quote
It was interesting hearing y'all discuss Lupin.

I've been a pretty big fan of Lupin since I watched the second season back on Adult Swim. I've seen the first season, and there are definitely bad episodes, but at the same time I guess I just learned to enjoy it, becuase in the end I was definitely wanting more ^^.

yeah, there are definitely some bad Lupin movies.. But Lupin is just such a cool character, I can still enjoy the bad ones :\

interesting insight on the manga situation. Not much to say, but I enjoyed this weeks guest.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:14 am Reply with quote
All you need to know about scanslation is that One Piece is huge online but no one buys it.

They started scanning the north American version years ago. I think 4 was when I first noticed it with Fairy Tail and GTO.

The worst part of this is how many people try to justify this, Anime Vice just made an editorial where the author explained that he didn't buy anything from Viz because Detective Conan's names where changed to western names. After he was called out on it because he thought Detective Conan was a shonen Jump manga, he then played the victim telling everyone how he was the real fan because we wanted the status quo because we bought the manga.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:24 am; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Lupin is pronounced "LU-PAHN".

Also, it's a shame Lupin III was never popular here, because it's an extremely entertaining franchise, and there's more a variety in it than you think. It's funny, though, because clearly Cowboy Bebop and a lot of other off-beat ensemble-based shows are influenced largely by Lupin III, and have been extremely successful here.

Castle of Cagliostro is actually pretty mediocre as a Lupin film. I mean, it's extremely beautiful, but it's otherwise very un-Lupin-ish. It's very much like a softened, fairy tale verison of Lupin, whereas most of the time you get more of the crass, snarkier side of him and the other characters. I would agree that some of the TV specials can be pretty awful, including the ones mentioned, Bye Bye Liberty Crisis and Fujiko's Unlucky Day, but you also get gems like The Hemingway Papers, In Memory of the Walther P-38, and Episode 0: First Contact.

Zeta Gundam was actually a popular stream? Wow, I'm pleasantly surprised. That's probably my favorite mecha series of all time, and certainly my favorite Gundam series. I'm shocked, since it's such an old show, and Gundam isn't really as ingrained into American culture the way it is in Japan. It didn't help that Bandai didn't market it that well, but I don't think it would have helped that much for Zeta.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kamidai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:34 am Reply with quote
While I'm not really a big fan of reading scanlations for things that are licensed (in fact I oppose it), one thing I rarely hear people bring up is the case of titles where there is a snowball's chance in hell of being legitimately published in English. Things like Saint Young Men, a delightful comedy that would be nearly impossible to release in the United States because it features Jesus as a character. Or terrifying copyright monsters like Stone Ocean, which features scores of music references, a cast named after fashion designers, and appearances of Mickey Mouse. Or plenty of very old or niche manga that wouldn't be financially viable in English. Rose of Versailles or the works of Nobuyuki Fukumoto anybody? Or things that are just too wacky, like Mudazumo Naki Kaikaku: Legend of Koizumi.

While I'd absolutely love to be able to purchase many of my favorite obscure titles in the US (and I'm extremely grateful to the companies that do put out the kind of weird seinen that I love so much, since I prefer print copies INFINITELY over pictures on a computer screen), sometimes scanlations are the only way to get to read the non-mainstream sort of thing that I really love. I've even bought the Japanese volumes of a few things that are my particular favorites that aren't licensed in English, and I can't read Japanese.

I know someone's probably going to tell me that I don't have the right to enjoy series like that and that I should only be reading licensed legitimate publications, but seriously, there is very little out there legitimately that I actually want to buy and read.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:39 am Reply with quote
oh man, I'm-a going to have to dig up a copy of that Lupin VHS.

I wish Lupin was more popular here--I own all of the Lupin DVDs released by Pioneer and it makes me sad that there is still hundreds of episodes that will never get released here in R1.

And regardless of what you guys think, Home Improvement is absolute gold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Pandadice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:02 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Lupin is pronounced "LU-PAHN".

thank you.
BDK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

The worst part of this is how many people try to justify this, Anime Vice just made an editorial where the author explained that he didn't buy anything from Viz because Detective Conan's names where changed to western names. After he was called out on it because he thought Detective Conan was a shonen Jump manga, he then played the victim telling everyone how he was the real fan because we wanted the status quo because we bought the manga.

Was this the same guy that got angry after Michael Moore went to Japan and the anime-vice staffie made a huge post about how he was "trolling around Akihabara"? trollin' found here.

(regardless of the author) Journalistic integrity! I love it!

Last edited by BDK on Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:22 am Reply with quote
I can relate to the ID theft! I've never had a problem until this last Christmas when my card got stolen. Then when I finally got my new one the old one was found and they happen to have the same last digits so it got frozen again...

I am *so* happy to finally hear from a manga guest, especially Hurt Hassler, for this show. Even though Yen was pushing against the hurricane of manga companies going under, this guy really knows what he's doing by placing business over fandom pleasure. He's something the industry really needs. That, and helping the cross-pollination of readers in general.

As for the inevitable scanlation debate that's bound to come up: No one's seriously said much against it 'til now, so all of a sudden people are getting defensive over years of reading and scanning they've done with good intentions and thought to be almost supported by the licensees. But it's no wonder why, when you look back at all the failed companies, it's just not a good thing. Now it feels like it's already too late to even try doing something about it after scanlations have been established and warped into a whole new ideal.

MU even has a more complete manga data-base than a "legit" encyclopedia like ANN. Is there even a way to actually fix this problem? Using big titles like Max Ride and Twilight, and a marketing idea like Yen+ to real in new fans is the only way I can think of...
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:23 am Reply with quote
BDK wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Was this the same guy that got all butt-hurt after Michael Moore went to Japan and the anime-vice staffie made a huge post about how he was "trolling around Akihabara"? trollin' found here.

(regardless of the author) Journalistic integrity! I love it!

No, but both are pretty bad. It was actually a guest author and not one of the normal writers.

http://www.animevice.com/news/scanlations-the-pirates-life-for-me/3904/

He declares I am not a true fan of Fullmetal Alchemist because I buy it on page 3. Oh and on page 2 he reveals that he thinks Detective Conan is a Shonen Jump title.
dizzon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
Now I admit to the fact that this could/is an isolated reaction, but what I've personally noticed is that my friends that like anime don't like Lupin because of the way it looks, while my friends who dislike(in many cases hate) anime like Lupin for that same reason.

That always seemed so shallow to me....I like anime as long as it looks like today's anime......I like this anime because it doesn't look like the anime I'm use to seeing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5