• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Reduces Staff with Layoffs, Furloughs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
There's more titles besides these, so be sure to check out http://www.rightstuf.com for a little more information, or their own website at http://www.media-blasters.com/

I think they really need a new website. I would be better if it looked nicer and was more streamlined, like FUNi's site.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
u_nick wrote:
I just wished they'd start changing release patterns, and maybe a put out a few season or half season sets. There are at least 3 titles of theirs I'm simply not buying because I don't want singles anymore. Sad

If no one buys singles they won't make box sets. They have to sell more for half seasons to be viable. If you want the company to still exist buy their product, or hope it gets license rescued when they fold (or get ready to have to get stuff off auction for crazy money).

It's not fun finding even fairly large releases in the UK as we've done much worse with distributors (ADV uk(ADV and rightstuff) and Revelation(FUNi)) dieing. It's hard to get anything more than a year old on DVD, even if the distributor is still alive, see Beez (Bandai's distro) releases, though they are re-issuing most of the OoP stuff as cheap whole season sets (or should be).

You should get used to pre-ordering all your anime at full price. Reissues will stop being available and titles will go OoP (in not much time).
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
That's too bad. Guess this means we should order MB titles to help support them, and maybe encourage more orders. It sounds like this is likely large retail accounts, so everyone get to your local bricknmortar retailers like Best Buy/HMV/whoeverelse still carries anime dvd's.

MB's titles are some of the best deals on the market, so I hope they make it through this small bump at retail, and hire back their furloughed employees.

Thank you! Does the Right Stuf count? I've been wanting to get Rurouni Kenshin, Twelve Kingdoms, Magic Knight Rayearth, and will be double-dipping for Record of Lodoss War. (I might try Knight Hunters, don't make fun of me Embarassed ) I hope this will support them. Media Blasters is so underrated, and they're a really good company.
The Count

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Tweeny Witches is insanely good- they're releasing the TV series in a boxset soonish, though I think the Artbox edition is well worth tracking down since the Book-styled look is so pretty. They offered it with Vol.1 [it holds vol.1-3 and the OVA set], and a complete collection [singles+OVA in the artbox- the new collection is just the TV series, though buying the OVA and it seperately is cheaper then the complete artbox version]

I Completely agree, fortunately for me (and unfortunately for my wallet) I'm a bit of an impulsive shopper when it comes to anime. I saw the Book of Spells complete collection on sale for $70 and said "why not".
I went into it thinking this is going to be some boring kids show, but after hearing many people praise it I had to see it. Well this show is something kids can enjoy, and it's also something that I a 26yr male loves. Very fun series with something for everyone, and Sheila has become one of my favorite female characters.

I also think it's a shame MB couldn't come up with a better way to release Moribito. If they didn't take over a year to complete it, and adult swim didn't mess up its airing twice I think we would've seen more people get into this.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame to hear this. I agree with some others that MB is underrated as a distributor. Sure they may sell some niche titles, and some of their titles I don't have interest in. However, though I can't say that I don't enjoy their releases that I do like. I feel an urge to go out and buy some MB titles now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:30 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I'm surprised this surprises anyone.

DVD retailers have been backing off anime a bit [though it's still strong enough to continue having sections devoted to it], and a lot of fans have been buying online if at all, so it's not a big surprise. But it's still sad to see, and I hope MB can weather the storm until the economy improves a bit.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Paploo wrote:
There's more titles besides these, so be sure to check out http://www.rightstuf.com for a little more information, or their own website at http://www.media-blasters.com/

I think they really need a new website. I would be better if it looked nicer and was more streamlined, like FUNi's site.

I dunno, stuff like streams and forums cost money, MB's web presence has mostly been a site with catalogue/titles, and websites that are specifically business like RareFlix [retail store] and Altiel [online card game w/free and pay-for-items options, which apparently has done okay for them]

Plus, they can just stream titles on sites like ANN.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
The Count wrote:

I Completely agree, fortunately for me (and unfortunately for my wallet) I'm a bit of an impulsive shopper when it comes to anime. I saw the Book of Spells complete collection on sale for $70 and said "why not".
I went into it thinking this is going to be some boring kids show, but after hearing many people praise it I had to see it. Well this show is something kids can enjoy, and it's also something that I a 26yr male loves. Very fun series with something for everyone, and Sheila has become one of my favorite female characters.

I also think it's a shame MB couldn't come up with a better way to release Moribito. If they didn't take over a year to complete it, and adult swim didn't mess up its airing twice I think we would've seen more people get into this.

Tweeny Witches was pretty awesome, and I'm guessing it did okay for them since they released the OVA (and dubbed it) and did a few different boxset versions.

Moribito was delayed due to broadcast issues, which lead to MB not getting the materials it needed. Too bad, though the release was still a great quality. People should really check this out [Scholastic is even releasing translations of the novels, which were advertised on the last few discs]

Interesting tidbit I'll add to this rather then make a new post-

It looks like the Ruroni Kenshin complete boxset isn't delayed- it's May release date has been moved up to April, so I'm guessing MB's delays are due to retail demand/requests rather than production issues. So that big ticket Kenshin set [also the cheapest way to get the series now, and it looks like the older sets have been low in stock for awhile] is going to hit ahead of schedule for those looking for it. I also noticed the new, cheaper Voltron boxsets haven't been delayed.

Also, another new title that they have to fill out their schedule during the downtime- Lodoss Wars TV and OVA were announced recently, so between that and Zetsubou I think they should fill July to December okay even if they don't pick up any other shows [though it's possible they had some in the works that made it to final stages before this]. Hopefully things'll turn around for them quickly.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Paploo wrote:

Yeah, I agree, it's a pretty crummy site. I will agree with everyone who enjoy their titles and would hate to see anything worse happen. I did pre-order Queen's Blade and Kanokon so hopefully that helps.
Paploo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
njprogfan wrote:

I did pre-order Queen's Blade and Kanokon so hopefully that helps.

Pre-ordering new titles is probably a good idea.... it looks like most only got delayed by a month or so, so I'm guessing none are cancelled, just bumped ahead in the release schedule.

Both Queens Blade and Kanokon are receiving dubbed releases, so people curious about that might want to check it out. Other upcoming releases include the complete Kenshin set, litebox editions of the two GaoGaiGar boxsets, and Huntik [the italian anime-style kids show]

I'm guessing we'll see Zetsubou in either July or August now. Just look at it as making it easier to plan ahead and save up Smile
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Looks like I'll be getting the remastered Rayearth sooner than planned. Along with Ramen Fighter Miki, Strawberry Panic, and Simoun.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Here's hoping they recover from this. And take all the time they need.

I've been waiting forever for Zetsubou to come overseas, I can wait a bit more. Take the time to recover first.
TokyoGetter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:12 pm Reply with quote
http://www.rightstuf.com/cgi-bin/catalogmgr/Z866r4inveyZ0n3T9B/browse/item/86825/4/0/0

Wow. 120 bucks?

I loved that show, I never finished it, and man, short of a store going out of business I will never beat that price.

I know what I'm doing on pay day.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Well more hurting for anime in the US
Razzuel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Are they ever going to release the last two volumes of the Doujin Work manga? Volume four was released in October of last year, and I haven't heard anything about volumes five and six.

Please, please, please, finish releasing the rest of the Doujin Work manga. It's so damn good! I need the rest of the series!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4