• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - MMMHolic

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Nice collection Anthony. Awesome in fact. It's not too big or too small, but just right. I see you have some excellent series, like Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne and Trigun, mainstream series like Death Note, Bleach and Inu Yasha, and looks like ya got some other greats, and some personal favorites, too. Nice too see someone else who likes Record of Lodoss War and Chobits, and I definitly want to try out X. Again, great collection. After seeing your collection, I feel more comfortable about my own. (You and I own some similiar series, and have about the same amount.)
Takeyo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of the serial battle shounen genre, but I decided to check out the first episode of Soul Eater when it first started airing. While I couldn't get into it, I was really impressed by the sharp, stylish animation. It really seemed to be a cut above most action series.

As much as I live me some Reading Rainbow, how about working an Electric Company or Mister Rogers reference in there sometime, huh? Smile
Mimori Kiryu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I beg to differ about Todd Haberkorn's voice. While he's definitely not as sexy sounding as Miyano Mamoru, when he gets deeper and talks more slowly, I melt in my seat. <3

I love Soul Eater. It's almost like all of the shonen main characters with a girl lead wrapped up into one that actually makes sense and the story is a decent length.

And nice collection, Anthony! I can't wait until my collection is that big. I need a bigger room first. ^^;
Kayu1111

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Really? She LIKES Girl's High? That show made me facepalm every five minutes. It's the most thinly veiled excuse I've ever seen to have girls running around showing off their panties and getting into fanservice-y situations. It's....crap. That's all I could think of to describe it.
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh, look. A X boxset. I bet Anthony's got a sleeved seventh volume, too. >:<

Seriously. Everytime I see a sleeved volume 7 on Shelf Life, a puppy will be sacrificed.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Kayu1111 wrote:
Really? She LIKES Girl's High? That show made me facepalm every five minutes. It's the most thinly veiled excuse I've ever seen to have girls running around showing off their panties and getting into fanservice-y situations. It's....crap. That's all I could think of to describe it.

I wash shocked too, not as much as when Ikki Tousen was on Rental Shelf.

Girl's High was okay, but the manga is better.

I rented Soul Eater last week and I loved what I saw. Waiting for the price to come down before I drop the cash and get it.

Those shelves rock, and what an awesome collection. I always got to admit I am bit jealous because I don't have as many box sets, but that is only because I got a majority of my collection in the last 2 years, even though I have been buying anime for the same amount of time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:42 pm Reply with quote
That is a really nice collection. You can really tell the collector's tastes.
Mine is just random things I find on eBay. Also, those Paul Champagne boxes are a nice extra touch.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Ah, Girls High. That show was very enjoyable, as, like you said Erin, the girls acted somewhat like real girls. There were a lot of things in that series that I could relate to, as my group of friends in highschool acted stupid like the girls in Girls High.
Also, it's true, the one girl in the group with a boyfriend will get teased mercilessly. Even when the other girls in the group (I was the only single one...hmph) started dating, we still bugged each other. Or did things like intrude on their dates, saying stuff like "Oh, we missed you two sooo much, we just had to see you"
For me, Girls High was a lot more like my highschool life than Azumanga Daioh. Azumanga had a much more gentle group of girls, while Girls High had the foul mouthed, mind-in-the-gutter, willing to look like idiots to have fun type of girls.

Edit: For the shelf owner, nice shelves, but a quick question - what are the two non-platinum Evangelion boxes you have there? I've never seen them before, and am quite curious.
Prede

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:11 pm Reply with quote
GREAT GREAT GREAT reviews this week!! You had some very interesting things to say. persoanlly the first two episodes of Maria Holic (saw them on Anime Network's online player) won me over very quickly. I really gata buy this show and soon. It was really amazing. It was funny, yet also very smart. I can see why some people may not like Maria as a character, but I think he's one of the best characters I've seen in anime in a long time. Why should every character be a goody two shoe? He's rude, arrogent, sadistic, and yet charismatic. I'm rooting for this guy, yet he's clearly quite evil! Also I just love shows that have teenages/children being horrible to each other, don't ask me why. So while I agree with most of your opinion on this, I gata say i love it so much more then you do.

Girls High is a very honest and raw series, that's for sure. It's also quite crude and dirty. I only saw the first 2 or 3 episodes (Media Blasters has it on youtube), but I liked it. It was pretty laugh out loud funny at times. Not something I'd buy though, it's just not compelling enough, especially without a dub. But well worth a look. I'll probably finish watching it one day...dono.

Also I just have to say this. The Ping Pong Club is an amaazing show. One of the best anime comedies out there IMO, up there with GTO. Everyone should own it, especially if your a comedy fan. The dub (from Taj Studios in NYC) is top notch effert too. One of the funniest dubs from New York City!! Gata love it! Jimmy Zoppi is frigen nuts as Maeno. he rules!! I really like how CPM handled this show. Everyone go buy it now, before it is gone forever!!

This guy's shelves have a lot of the same versons of titles I own *. What a coincidence. Only I have many more CPM titles, and his shelves just look so much nicer. Very nice setup. Wish mine looked at nice...

* For example for the longest time I only had the first two volumes of Utena (own it all now), I own only the first two box sets of Yu Yu Hakusho and Nana, I have the same RahXephon , Princess Tutu and Nadia boxsets from ADV, I have the artbox for Welcome to the NHK, I have the same box for NTHT...I could go on.

Last edited by Prede on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:15 pm; edited 3 times in total
prime_pm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I must be weird. I like sadistic characters like Mariya for some reason. Although I did find that many of these episodes, he didn't really play that big a part in several instances and that he part could have been easily modified to fit the story as you said. He kinda played more of a minor, sideline role through the series. Admit it, though, you gotta love how Yu Kobayashi practically changes her voice on the fly.

But, yes, Kanako really made the show.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, at least Rin has a shot glass so, worst comes to worst, bottoms up?

Keep meaning to watch Soul Eater but I really want to see the dub so I haven't checked it out on Funi's site yet. But I do recall that, when I read the manga, it started out not-so-interesting but got a bit more so with every chapter and I was hooked probably a little after Erin did. And I would think that Soul Eater would look pretty spiffy animated, gah, really need to get a netflix account I suppose.
chocobolily

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I really agree about Soul Eater. I remember cringing at the preteen-boy-level humor while watching it in anime club and writing it off as a stupid, shonen action title. For some reason I decided to try again, though, and it was really a pleasant surprise. Nice music, animation, and the story improved tenfold as it progressed.

(Plus, I just gotta love Stein.)
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Quark wrote:
Edit: For the shelf owner, nice shelves, but a quick question - what are the two non-platinum Evangelion boxes you have there? I've never seen them before, and am quite curious.

I'm not the owner, by I know (well, pretty sure) it's a custom made Paul Champagne metal box, that's why you've never seen them in stores. He actually has several of them and the more I see them, the less I like them. They just stick out so much and I like my collection to blend.

He has designs for several shows on his site: http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/anime.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
I am actually currently watching Ping Pong Club--just a few more episodes to go before I finish it. So I am thrilled to death that it got a slight mention in this column. The show is seriously great--somehow strikes a good balance between completely outrageous boy humor and an interesting combination of characters.

Now I'm looking forward to Girl's High, which has been sitting on my shelves here recently.

The King of Harts wrote:

I'm not the owner, by I know (well, pretty sure) it's a custom made Paul Champagne metal box, that's why you've never seen them in stores. He actually has several of them and the more I see them, the less I like them. They just stick out so much and I like my collection to blend.

He has designs for several shows on his site: http://www.designpaulchampagne.com/anime.html

Yeah, looks like these shelves actually utilized quite a few of his designs--the aforementioned Evangelion, as well as Cowboy Bebop, FLCL, Haibane Renmei, Chobits, Soul Hunter, and perhaps several others. Though oddly I have the opposite reaction as you... the more I see them the more I'm impressed. They don't stick out too much--and I find a sequence of singles to be much more distracting. I just have trouble justifying spending the required money for just a casing.

Last edited by TheTheory on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
Quark wrote:

Oh cool. I've never even heard of these these metal boxes before. It's a shame that I've only started buying exclusively from Rightstuf in the last three or four years, I would have loved to have snagged the Rayearth box, and the Eva box.
When you say they stick out though, do you mean that they look too different from the standard artboxes, or do you mean that in terms of size, they're much larger?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8