• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Media Blasters Reduces Staff with Layoffs, Furloughs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Paploo wrote:
Yeah, they dub most of their anime,

Eh? While this may have once been true, wasn't MB the first to dive into sub-only (with a few exceptions) mode a few years back?

They did have a pretty big string of sub only releases, Kashimashi, Girls High, Ramen Fighter Miki, Simoun, Strawberry Panic, Otoboku, Princess Princess, but since then, the majority has been dubbed. Prior to that were Seraphim Call and Sentimental Journey their only sub releases?

I own all of those except Princess Princess. I generally blind buy what they put out, because for the money, it has rarely let me down. Dojin Work did test my patience with a three disc release when it could have easily fit on 1 disk.

My vote for the most under appreciated title in their catalog is Figure 17, a wonderful story that I am glad I that I stumbled into.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:06 am Reply with quote
Razzuel wrote:
Are they ever going to release the last two volumes of the Doujin Work manga? Volume four was released in October of last year, and I haven't heard anything about volumes five and six.

Please, please, please, finish releasing the rest of the Doujin Work manga. It's so damn good! I need the rest of the series!

Their manga release schedule is generally fairly small, and was affected by these layoffs [the link I posted for delayed titles does contain some manga, some with new dates, some to be determined, which means they'd be titles in July and beyond]

I'm guessing they'll schedule them when their manga schedule allows for it, and if there is demand for the volumes. While some series with longer waits between volumes have been cancelled [Apocalypse Zero, Baron Gong Battle etc.], some have had new volumes issues [I think they're now finishing Akihabara@Deep with the 6th volume slated, and the 4th volume of Fujoshi Rumi is likely to pop up in the summer]
Since much of what they release is pretty niche even in manga, I don't mind the delays too much.
Hi-Chan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:18 am Reply with quote
I am not really shocked by this;when your a niche company in a niche market an economy like this is going to really do damage.Also I can only speculate on this but I have to believe Sentais move to cheap sub only sets has hurt Media Blasters.The two companies are probably competing against each other for certain licenses.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:53 am Reply with quote
MB has released a lot of yaoi sub because while the yaoi audience maybe wouldn't mind getting a dub, most of the ones I've seen WANT the Japanese VA's so the dub is an unnecessary expense. If I could get my hands on Angelique (the older stuff) or Haruka, I'd settle for sub in a heartbeat over never seeing it.
I'd snag a sub-only Shaman King in a second also.
I mostly see the guys whine over the lack of a dub. Yuri is a small audience like yaoi so one would think they'd be happy just to get it, but no. The threads about those titles being licensed usually run heavily to "No dub? I'm not buying!!"
I'm pretty well maxed out on MB because I usually buy what I want early on of theirs. I do have several yaoi novels as well as Fujoshi 4 on pre-order so it looks like I'll be waiting
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Hi-Chan wrote:
I am not really shocked by this;when your a niche company in a niche market an economy like this is going to really do damage.Also I can only speculate on this but I have to believe Sentais move to cheap sub only sets has hurt Media Blasters.The two companies are probably competing against each other for certain licenses.

I don't think that's the case- the markets pretty small now, and Japan has a large backlog of titles to choose from. The quick licensing turnarounds, with MB or Sentai announcing a title and releasing it the next month means they probably aren't in negociations for very long either (with some titles being announced while they air in Japan or while their dvd release is still underway there].

Now that licensors aren't overpricing for titles, it appears the main problems facing companies are retail space issues, and a lower amount of demand for the majority of titles from some fans (kind of shame considering how cheap MB's titles are).
vcmusik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:28 pm Reply with quote
While I don't want them to go out of business, I've had some very disappointing experiences with them. Had some glitched discs, and for a while I was able to establish contact with their CS department for replacements, but lately they stopped responding to my emails. I bought the entire collection of 12 Kingdoms in Dec from Best Buy, and the first vol had major glitching, but I couldn't get a hold of them, so I ended up having to return for a refund, since there were no other copies.

I wouldn't go as far to say that their quality control with disc replication is bad, but I've gotten more glitched discs from them than even Bandai.
Paploo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:12 pm Reply with quote
That's too bad, I've generally had no problems with their discs.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
vcmusik wrote:
While I don't want them to go out of business, I've had some very disappointing experiences with them. Had some glitched discs, and for a while I was able to establish contact with their CS department for replacements, but lately they stopped responding to my emails. I bought the entire collection of 12 Kingdoms in Dec from Best Buy, and the first vol had major glitching, but I couldn't get a hold of them, so I ended up having to return for a refund, since there were no other copies.

IF you bought it at Best Buy, you return it to Best Buy, thus it's Best Buy's issue, not MB. I'v's had a few glitches (more with Funi & Bandai). I had a problem with Rouroni Kenshin, bu exchanged the single problem disc thru TRSI since MB had released it as singles. I just got Embracing Love back from an exchange thru TRSI, though I haven't tried playing it yet. I had a lot of problems with Zenki way back there-pretty much every set had to go back once, but that was thru Suncoast. Tekkaman Blade 1 I went thru 3 copies I believe before I received a working copy. There are Funi dvds I had to plain give up on or buy online since all the local discs seemed messed up.
Paploo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, dvd's with errors pop up at every company. I recall one of my GiantRobo discs had an issue with my old player [which was cheaper then most dvd's I've bought 0_o], but played fine on another one and on my computer. The worst offender was a Disney disc, Atlantis, which looped eternally on the Cinderella 2 trailer. I returned it at the time, and bought a VHS copy [this was when it first came out, and dvd's were new new new]

Considering I have over 100 MB dvd's, one or two errors isn't much to complain about since the majority are quite excellent.
Steel Angel

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:03 am Reply with quote
Gewürtztraminer wrote:

My vote for the most under appreciated title in their catalog is Figure 17, a wonderful story that I am glad I that I stumbled into.

Agreed, there was a tournament for "best duo" in the Anime forum awhile back that showed just how unknown this title really is. I do think such things as that tournament helped promoted people learning about such great but often obscure titles.

As to the errors on disks, only ever had one, (see my anime list for owned disks from MB) was on the final disk of the Banner of the Stars. I've just never bothered to replace it.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:08 am Reply with quote
I would want to feel more sorry for Media Blasters, but well, when you don't dub season 2 of GaoGaiGar (and, to add fire, not bow down to Disney of all people to get said show some air time. Say what you will for content these days but telling Disney to go 'eff off is a good way to die) or anything else I might even give half a crap about whilst you dub Queen's Blade of all shows is a good way of ensuring that I as a person, hope you suffer failure on no uncertain terms.

TL:DR - Couln't happen to a better bunch of Smut Paddlers.
saishokushugisha
Editor, Anime Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Razzuel wrote:
Are they ever going to release the last two volumes of the Doujin Work manga? Volume four was released in October of last year, and I haven't heard anything about volumes five and six.

Please, please, please, finish releasing the rest of the Doujin Work manga. It's so damn good! I need the rest of the series!

Their manga release schedule is generally fairly small, and was affected by these layoffs [the link I posted for delayed titles does contain some manga, some with new dates, some to be determined, which means they'd be titles in July and beyond]

I'm guessing they'll schedule them when their manga schedule allows for it, and if there is demand for the volumes. While some series with longer waits between volumes have been cancelled [Apocalypse Zero, Baron Gong Battle etc.], some have had new volumes issues [I think they're now finishing Akihabara@Deep with the 6th volume slated, and the 4th volume of Fujoshi Rumi is likely to pop up in the summer]
Since much of what they release is pretty niche even in manga, I don't mind the delays too much.

Considering that the entire MB book division was laid off, I sort of doubt that there will be more book releases forthcoming, with the possible exception of the few volumes that were completed but not yet published before the layoffs.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:55 pm Reply with quote
So, it looks like we have another ADV manga on our hands. Well, the situation in book retailing isn't that great, with the problems at Borders and Barnes and Noble, so I can understand this decision.

Besides, DVDs are a much bigger part of their business, and it makes sense to focus on that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4