• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Joost to Remove Last of Its Anime on March 25

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quick note: They're also on Crunchyroll as well!
TheTheory

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Joost has pretty much been irrelevant for a while now. I can't even find it in my heart to be even slightly annoyed at this news.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Crystal

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote
It's actually Digimon 02, it'd be nice if we could watch Adventure uncut legally (without importing) though.
manga1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Another one gone, sad though every time another loss to the anime community is gone even if its almost non active. just a nother victom of the recession
Expias

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Crystal wrote:
It's actually Digimon 02, it'd be nice if we could watch Adventure uncut legally (without importing) though.
Yes, the ones on Crunchy and others (as well as Joost) are all Digimon Adventure 02 (zero two). There's a bit of a difference. Say... 50 or so episodes.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Actually it's more a victim of the fact that no one can make money from online streaming. If even Hulu and YouTube can't make money, what kind of hope did Joost ever have?
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
People, this is why physical media (DVDs and BDs) continues to be relevant. Even though DVD and BD sales are declining, at least they're turning a profit. No one has figured out a way to make money off of streaming video.

Joost is "toost."
dizzon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
Wow, the first thing I thought when I read "Joost to Remove Last of its Anime on March 25" was....Who? Oh yeah, I totally forgot Joost was even still around. Anime smile + sweatdrop
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:47 am Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:
People, this is why physical media (DVDs and BDs) continues to be relevant. Even though DVD and BD sales are declining, at least they're turning a profit. No one has figured out a way to make money off of streaming video.

Joost is "toost."

Better yet, There NO WAY to make money from streaming video...
Gasero

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:13 am Reply with quote
After the Hulu/Crunchyroll revolution I wasn't expecting many other sites to try and carry much anime streams.

Hulu added another 4 anime to its library just last week.
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote
Joost was an interesting idea but the people who created it didn't even know what to do with it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:54 am Reply with quote
The way Funimation makes money off their streams is the ads, but you really can't get a lot off the ads, because I make anime reviews and post them on Blip.TV (I don't use any DVD footage) and I've got about 17, 9934 hits and only about $6.86 from ad revenue, albeit, I don't have cool anime that I'm licensed to stream, but still, that's not a lot of money.

And Funimation has links to their online store and they hope that you'll click the "Buy" button and that's how they get money and it does work because I wouldn't have bought a lot of my anime collection because I wouldn't have seen it and liked it enough to buy it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:36 pm Reply with quote
The only Toei stream I've ever been able to watch was Digimon 02, and that was only one episode (took so long to buffer I never got around to watching any more) and only until we were locked out - given how.. picky.. Toei can be, I've always assumed this was the main reason why we were locked out in the first place.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Joost? I didn't know Boost Moble had a cousin?, lol Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1