• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Bullet Heaven

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bob_loblaw

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Take the high road all you want, Todd, if someone hacks that Move controller and gets that sphere to vibrate...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:46 pm Reply with quote
"Last Story"? Dear heavens, someone just used the Microsoft Word thesaurus feature on "Final Fantasy."
bahamut623

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
ESPgaluda TOTALLY looks like the Bizarre Jelly game from No More Heroes 2!!

And that DBZ game actually looks kind of neat.
Raven Shinobi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
With Last Story and Xenoblade that are by two of my favorite game producers, it looks like it's going to be a pretty good year for RPGs on the Wii. As for the music on the Last Story site, I've heard almost every game soundtrack by Hitoshi Sakimoto and the track doesn't sound like anything he had composed, but I could be wrong. The track sounds like a blend of Mitsuda and Uematsu's style.

I've been playing FFXIII recently and it falls below anything that I played by Atlus in the last five years, story and gameplay wise. It's not by any means a bad game, but the slow pace and the linearity that extends to even specifying party members for you is really killing the experience. As for the story, from the the entries that I read in the datalog, it sounds interesting on paper and hoped if they incorporated all that information in cut scenes or even text dialogues. Honestly, if you haven't picked up Persona 4 yet, that game will give you your money's worth better than FFXIII, not to mention it's way cheaper.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:36 am Reply with quote
Quote:
They claim that shooters like ESPgaluda II are meant to be played and mastered to the point where you can finish them on one credit. These people are all insane.

Burn him!!! The heathen must be punished!!

You won't normally even see the last boss on a shooter if you continue (and will get a bad end). The game will essentially end early. There are rumours about their most recent release, DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu Black Label, requiring a no miss (that's right not dieing ever) for the true last boss.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:24 am Reply with quote
box art hover text wrote:
This game is covered in moe-esque anime art, and for once I don't care.
Oh for... It's a cover with some female characters on it. If that somehow constitutes 'moe', then so does almost every TV show in existence.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote
Man, I just want to say one thing....

Stunt Dawgs!!!!!!!!!!

OK, two things. Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote
Good thing I didn't get FFXIII for my 360.

What with the E-74 video problem I got last Thursday.

Shipping label came on Friday! Can you believe that?
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:44 am Reply with quote
edzieba wrote:
box art hover text wrote:
This game is covered in moe-esque anime art, and for once I don't care.
Oh for... It's a cover with some female characters on it. If that somehow constitutes 'moe', then so does almost every TV show in existence.

Apologies I didn't notice that slip as well Razz
The "moe" (bishoujo) art style, as we know it, is from games not anime!!(I get slightly annoyed at this slip everytime I see it)
It's more like all anime these days are in eroge style art than vice versa. Blame Kanon and ToHeart, the style's generaly atributed to them.
edzieba

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:13 am Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
The "moe" (bishoujo) art style
The what? That's even worse than what I was originally complaining about!
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
I already said he should be set on fire Twisted Evil . I'm allowed to rage about other minor points as well.
Letthemeatraep

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
I was honestly shocked when I saw the 360 version of FFXIII running yesterday. I'd been playing the PS3 version a lot since release day, and the difference in visual quality was greater than I expected. The FMVs in particular looked like standard def quality on a HD tv, and the whole thing in general had a pretty 'washed out' look to it.

Saying that, it would be more of an issue if FFXIII wasn't a tediously battle heavy funnel fest and easily the worst of the main FF games in my opinion.

Also, finding the 'Move' to be a fairly shameless Wii rip off, and not the sort of thing I want from my PS3 at all. Still, I can see the logic at least in aping a proven popular motion controller, which is perhaps something Microsoft should have considered before they decided re-releasing the Eyetoy and calling it "the future of gaming" was a good idea.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
Funny that you're bringing up 'FFXIII' I'm working on a copy right now for circulation. I have to admit I'm disappointed at both Sony and Square for not doing a better job with packaging. Again you mentioned this in a previous segment. Yet the UK is getting better extras. Well, you know that us US gamers don't give a damn about extras. Evil or Very Mad

Last Story looks interesting. Hopefully it will do well.
CyberConnect2 really copped out didn't they? I mean fans have been waiting for a 'TC2' for YEEEEARS!!! And so they give them a new game with characters that look familiarly like...hmmm...TAIL CONCERTO!! Oh well, spiritual successor anyone? Maybe.

As for 'Espaluga II'. Is this game region free?
I'd be interested in passing this along as a recommendation. But if it's going to be released domestically then that's even better. I love all these crybabies. They call themselves gamers and they complain about EVER GODDAMN thing. They're not gamers they're wannabe whiners. Gee, the whole point of these types of games is to better oneself to the point that you make less mistakes. Because you learn from your mistakes the first time around. You wouldn't get there if you didn't try and try again. That's how the "oldschoolers" did it. I love shooters but I just don't have that type of hand eye coordination to play "bullet hell" shooters. I guess the whole point of creating these types of shooters was to create a new challenge because they're just not hard enough. Though I'd love to see a study comparing some of the older harder shooters of yesterday to this new breed. Just to see what their strengths and weaknesses are.
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:26 am Reply with quote
The whole stacked discs with 360's FFXIII reminds me of when I bought the Princess Tutu boxed set. Six discs instead of three though, for twice as much annoyance?

And finally, Strange Journey! I've been waiting since the game was revealed in Japan to get my hands on it. It's great to have a new game from the SMT line, and especially one with such a refreshingly new story idea. Devil Survivor was okay, but a new SMT is where it's really at.
braves

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Yet the UK is getting better extras. Well, you know that us US gamers don't give a damn about extras. Evil or Very Mad

At least we got that hardcover guide which looks really nice. Great paper quality and concept art too. Square is also selling the soundtrack on their website, so at least they're not leaving us empty handed. That said, if they were smart, they would have packaged all of that together with a steelbook for the game itself as an LE. Instead, I'm just waiting for it to drop in price since my PS3 broke down and I'm not in a rush to replace it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3