• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Times Manga Best Seller List, March 14-20

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I miss those couple of weeks when One Piece charted.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:

I know. I'm guessing that I'm one of the few people that bought all 5 books as soon as I could.
alexcampos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:

One Piece might sell 2,000,000 copies in Japan, HOWEVER here in America it won't even crack the top 10.

Honestly, does anyone know why this is so?

How can one piece be the most popular manga in Japan, and not even be recognized in the U.S.?

How is naruto and Bleach always in the top 10, (Naruto seems to be always #1) and one piece can't compete.

BTW, I don't like one piece, I'm just curious.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
One Piece was horribly mishandled by 4Kids.

Had 4Kids licensed Naruto or Bleach, I highly doubt they would be as popular as they are.

Also, the art style in One Piece is quite silly, and repels some people from reading it.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:40 pm Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:
How can one piece be the most popular manga in Japan, and not even be recognized in the U.S.?

How is naruto and Bleach always in the top 10, (Naruto seems to be always #1) and one piece can't compete.

Well different cultures like different things. I think it's mainly pirate movies here for example, always flop (Pirates of the Caribbean was THE exception, and it's all thanks to Johnny Depp). American mainstream however has had a few successes with ninjas, and a lot of the people into Naruto, like myself for example, grew up on stuff like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I personally find ninjas cooler than pirates. So when it comes to manga I spend my money on Naruto, and I haven't looked at One Piece in years.

That and the Naruto anime did fairly well here to create a fanbase, where as the One Piece anime unfortunately flopped.
alexcampos

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
alexcampos wrote:

Well different cultures like different things. I think it's mainly pirate movies here for example, always flop (Pirates of the Caribbean was THE exception, and it's all thanks to Johnny Depp). American mainstream however has had a few successes with ninjas, and a lot of the people into Naruto, like myself for example, grew up on stuff like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

I personally find ninjas cooler than pirates. So when it comes to manga I spend my money on Naruto, and I haven't looked at One Piece in years.

That and the Naruto anime did fairly well here to create a fanbase, where as the One Piece anime unfortunately flopped.

Yeah but, Bleach and Death Note are pretty successful and its based on shinigami.

I don't EVER remember growing up with shinigami. I can understand Ninjas and even pirates, but how do you explain shinigami?

Also, Naruto (U.S anime) was not a huge hit with the older crowd, it was mostly for kids.

I personally believe that the One Piece art style turns people off.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:32 pm Reply with quote
alexcampos wrote:

Yeah but, Bleach and Death Note are pretty successful and its based on shinigami.

I don't EVER remember growing up with shinigami. I can understand Ninjas and even pirates, but how do you explain shinigami?

Also, Naruto (U.S anime) was not a huge hit with the older crowd, it was mostly for kids.

It doesn't NEED to have the theme ingrained into culture to be successful, it's just a big help to the popularity. And yeah, Naruto was popular with kids, but it was also insanely popular with the middle and high school crowds. Heck, it still is. I started reading it in high school, and now I'm 24 and I still read it.

And shinigami are ingrained in our culture, they just go by another name: grim reapers. Heck, before Bleach came out I was quite a big fan of a show called Dead Like Me that was about people who were actually dead, and reaping souls, but they had to keep a day job. Here's the opening, it's pretty fun.

I believe Death Note is popular for other reasons outside of the shinigami. I think the appeal for that series is more of the suspense, mind games, and philosophical arguments that are brought up.
kaizoku00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Naruto, Bleach and One Piece manga, but One Piece is my obvious favorite. i think people dont give it a chance because 4kids butchered it, and maybe the length of the series. The art maybe as well because I admit I was reluctant with the art at first but its easy to get used to and the storytelling is a masterpiece to which Naruto and Bleach don't quite reach. Its a shame that that doesn't translate with American audiences.
Jaymie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:14 pm Reply with quote
I think it's the art style. Japanese kids might like it, but I'm pretty sure that American kids are instantly turned off by it.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:18 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
alexcampos wrote:

It doesn't NEED to have the theme ingrained into culture to be successful, it's just a big help to the popularity. And yeah, Naruto was popular with kids, but it was also insanely popular with the middle and high school crowds. Heck, it still is. I started reading it in high school, and now I'm 24 and I still read it.

And shinigami are ingrained in our culture, they just go by another name: grim reapers. Heck, before Bleach came out I was quite a big fan of a show called Dead Like Me that was about people who were actually dead, and reaping souls, but they had to keep a day job. Here's the opening, it's pretty fun.

I believe Death Note is popular for other reasons outside of the shinigami. I think the appeal for that series is more of the suspense, mind games, and philosophical arguments that are brought up.

Yeah, and European culture in general. The Japanese didn't even have a grim reaper in their folklore until they heard about it from Europeans.

Ahh.. Dead Like Me. I recently finished watching the series on Hulu. There's also another US show with reapers in it, Reaper. Delores' actress from Dead Like Me is a supporting character in it too. She works at the DMV and works for the devil.
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
I think it's the art style. Japanese kids might like it, but I'm pretty sure that American kids are instantly turned off by it.

not only that but like 10 pages of it I cant stand anything going on.

then again, no matter how much I tried I just dont like gurran, i just dont like to much wacky
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1