• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Item / Apprentice VCD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andromeda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:08 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if anybody else was as interested as I am in fan productions.

Isn't it cool how much can be accomplished with a couple of good programs, a decent computer, microphone, and internet connection?

This review (yes, it is over 2 1/2 years old, but that's beside the point) reminded me of that.

I haven't gotten to see this one or even Makoto Shinkai's "Voices of A Distant Star", but just knowing that fan releases are getting this good ("Voices" even snagged itself a professional American release through ADV!) is neat, ya know?

Think about it: these are the Walt Disneys and Gainaxes of the next generation. Gainax started out as a bunch of fanboys and Disney started out with one animator (who drew literally several HUNDRED frames a day... whoa). But with computers and the internet, now animation fans and hobbyists all over the world have the chance. I imagine that 50 years from now, stories of fans making a new animation will be commonplace... but it's still cool to be living in the very beginning of a new era, no?

I'm interested to see how many other people are as in love with animation (and manga, for that matter) as I am - I too am starting my own production group (though we still need colorists and some more voice-actors and such before we can really get started). Anybody else doing something like that? Just wondering if anybody else on here is as crazy and masochistic as me (I'm writing, directing, producing, webmastering, audio mixing, foleying, casting, handling music for it AND acting in it; I'll probably need a padded room eventually, but what the heck, right?)...

-Andromeda

--@~>
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:13 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a stretch to call Voices a "fan production," because Shinkai had been working in the video game industry for a while before he made the film.

But it's still a great short film that definitely deserved a US release, especially with Shinkai's She and Her Cat thrown in there. I hope you'll check it out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1