• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Soul Eater DVD Part 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chocobolily

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:19 pm Reply with quote
I agree that Soul Eater is way more fun than I ever thought it could be. The first few episodes made me think, "Ohhhh, this is just another collect-the-magic-whatever shows" but as the series went on it was pretty much all uphill. Plus I'm a sucker for anything with a cool soundtrack.
JackCox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Come on you could not spare even a few lines for Excalibur? Troy Baker is hysterical in the role.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:19 am Reply with quote
Quote:
or more accurately ostentatiously dry-humped it

Quote:
slicker than a lawyer in a vat of Vaseline.

... You've got a way with words, Carl. Laughing

Too bad about the dub. I too figured this was a gimme for the Funi vets; then again, I haven't actually heard any of it yet, so I won't completely dismiss it.

Quote:
(most memorably during the first fight with the unformed, epidermis-wielding Kishin)

That whole stretch of episodes had really slick fights, I think, in addition to the aforementioned. My favorites though were the ones that the Kishin fought spoiler[in his opponents' heads.]

Quote:
Kid's sex-kitten guns

Oh come on, that's Blair. Razz
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Good review.

Seems like carl doesn't like how it's so enjoyable though... I admit, that when I first saw it too, I thought it was going to be an ABSOLUTE waste of time!

It wasn't until episode 6 where I knew it could be something special... and now that I've seen all of Part 1, I'm confident that I'll watch/buy the rest.

I don't agree with you about the dub. I like the "subdued", if that's what you want to call it, ver. of the show. It's funnier, easier to take it in marathon form, and I like the voices.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:53 pm Reply with quote
I think the dub and sub are about even. Really the only difference me is Black Star is less annoying in the dub, on the other hand while Todd does a good Death the Kid the original seiyuu is awesome. I slightly prefer Maka and Soul dubbed by a tiny margin, and everyone else is about even. Oh, and as JackCox pointed out, Troy Baker owned as Excalibur ("fools!" Laughing ).

Still waiting for this set to arrive, along with One Piece S2P6 and Kanon. Stupid backorder *mudder mudder*..... Sad
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Good review. I'm just putting this out for the record that Black Star is by FAR my favorite character on this show. All reviews I see seem to rag on him, but I mean... this is a shounen show. People who watch shounen shows tend to like shounen-esque(word?... it is now) things. Black Star is so shounen-esque that he is (pretty much) a parody/satire of the archetype. I also feel that if something is tournament-esque, it is usually reviewed as a negative aspect. Not too much in this review, but still, I would think that for most shounen fans, tournaments are a +, at least it definitely is for me.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:33 pm Reply with quote
I imagine the relatively low amount of comments here is due to most people waiting for the Blu-ray. No?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I would love to hear some opinions about when, exactly, this show gets interesting.

I've only watched the first four episodes, but so far I would have to say that I haven't actually laughed once. Sure, I'll give props to the inventive artwork, but everything else about it seems completely re-cycled. So far, the writing isn't all that clever and I am really put off by the lame, overused fanservice "jokes". Is there any point to the character of Blair? So far this show has failed the four episode test, which means that I'll probably pass on buying this title. I'll give it a few more episodes, but so far I'm not all that entertained.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
The first three episodes are basically throw-aways in terms of the series plot. They serve to introduce the three main groups of characters and give a bit of context to the world and nothing more.

I forget when things pick up steam--I'd say with the introduction of Chrona the main plot starts to reveal itself.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FlyingFox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I imagine the relatively low amount of comments here is due to most people waiting for the Blu-ray. No?

Thats the plan
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:00 pm Reply with quote
If I'm gonna buy this, I'm sucking it up and waiting for season sets, just like with Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:17 am Reply with quote
Good review. For once I actually agree with it. Very Happy

Black Star's VA does a pretty good job, though she's nothing compared to Kobayashi. And Laura Bailey does an almost dead-on replication of Chiaki Omigawa. Totally looking forward to buying this one, along with the first one and the rest of the season sets. :3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Wrathful

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 6:30 am Reply with quote
And here I thought I stopped watching Soul Eater in subbed mainly because of Black Star's voice.

I'm glad I chose to rewatch it because I now think it's very worthy and entertaining series to watch, still, I kinda don't like the fanservice that pops out every now and then. For a change it's very minor and plus I like this weird gothic style. Holy Sword kicked ass. It's a shame the reviewer didn't mention anything about that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1