• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bargain Hunting Thread

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm making this thread so that I and others can help out people looking for good deals on DVDs that are hard to come by. I want to focus on mostly OOP or scarcely available shows since britannicamoore has her own That AnimeDVD Sale Thread which is very helpful for finding good deals on sets released the last few years and I recommend checking in on it every now and then.

The basic set up is this, as britannicamoore so eloquently put it:
Person A asks for an item here and persons B-Z will post the best deal they can find here as well. Now, if Person G finds a better deal (preferably more than a few dollars) than what Person F finds they can also respond to the same request and the asker will make the decision for themselves of which they prefer.
Simple, yes?

Some notes:

1) For some items like Sailor Moon or Cardcaptor Sakura, "good deal" will be relative. Meaning that some deals will still be pretty high, but cheaper than the average going price, so don't be upset if something is still pretty expensive.

2) In your request let it be known if you frown upon used items. Of course this will make the search much harder, but I understand why some don't want used items.

3) Likewise, if you have something against Ebay or the Amazon Marketplace (or any other site) let that be known in your request.
3a) The rules state Ebay auctions aren't allowed to be posted here, but we are still allowed to PM them. However, Ebay stores aren't specially stated and those will be posted here unless a mod says otherwise.

4) Don't post a whole lot of requests at once. I believe the most reasonable for one post is 3, so that will be the maximum I allow. Once one or all of your requests are found you can ask for more, but you can't eclipse 3. Basically, you can only have three requests floating around at once.

5) Once one or more of your requests have been found for a price you like, it'd be super helpful if you'd edit your original post and strike out (like so) what was found. This way we won't have people looking for something that has already been found.

6) Quickest to buy it wins. The finds will be out in the open for all to see, so you'll have either act fast or hope no one jumps it before you. Now, if you really, really need that Volume 3 of Paranoia Agent and you have the funds in your secret Paranoia Agent bank account, you can ask for a PM response. However, lets not be a bunch of Selfish Susies here and make it a reoccurring thing. If it does become a problem, I will pull the ability to request PM responses. It's best if you have the money ready before you ask so you can act as soon as possible.

7) Most important of all: THIS IS A BARGAIN HUNT. The best deal isn't always found immediately and may take time to find. Just because no one responds to your request for a few days does not mean it's being ignored, so don't spam in here and re-ask for the same thing a hundred times. Now, if it's been a few weeks and you have no response, then you can re-ask.

Disclaimer: I and no one else who helps you find an item will not be held responsible what happens beyond this thread. While I'm sure the people who will be doing the hunting are experienced shoppers and know how to avoid bootlegs, there is always that chance, but we can't be blamed if you buy one. If you're unsure about an item we find, let us know and we'll help you figure it out; you won't hurt our feelings because we are here to help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Hi, you helped me out with Paranoia Agent a while back! Thanks again!

Now I have a much tougher one. Honneamise's release of Jin-Roh on bluray. I have never seen this thing online, but you can buy the Japanese release(it has english language and subtitles), however I like the R1 edition alot.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:49 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Now I have a much tougher one. Honneamise's release of Jin-Roh on bluray. I have never seen this thing online, but you can buy the Japanese release(it has english language and subtitles), however I like the R1 edition alot.

Here's where I got mine. May not like the price, but there it is.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
-Edit: I'm temporarily removing my post since I've been given leads on both the Yukikaze blu-ray and the 'Arashi no Destiny' manga. I'll fix it one way or another once I see how things play out.-

Last edited by DuelLadyS on Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:06 pm Reply with quote
Hey Lady. Know for a fact you can get one from chapters.indigo.ca. Buddy of mine just got one. Think he payed around $120? Sure beats $280! Smile
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:20 pm Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Hey Lady. Know for a fact you can get one from chapters.indigo.ca. Buddy of mine just got one. Think he payed around $120? Sure beats $280! Smile

Well, I think I know what I'm doing with my leftover con money. Very Happy
luffypirate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Get ready for one intense eargasm Cool Sh*t sounds magnificent. Think I might watch it again tonight...
Wooga

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:47 am Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:

I doubt it's what this thread is for, what I'd really like help with is a manga I started buying back in high school. It never came out in English, and the magazine it was running under is long out of print. I have no clue how to find OOP Japanese stuff- Rinkya would be my only guess, but it's not helping. Anyway, the manga is 'Arashi no Destiny'

There are 3 'stages'- first stage, second stage, etc..
Anyways, here are the first 4 volumes of the first stage for $5:
http://page19.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x90797880
batou37

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
Don't know if this counts but what I've been on the hunt for is a reasonable priced soundtrack of Natsume Yujin Cho and Zoku Natsume Yujin Cho. I know the OP said a dvd, but this is the music that appears on a dvd so thats close enough right? So far I've seen them on cdJapan but I have a hard time spending almost $80 on 2 cds. Kind of a kick in the teeth when you're used to itunes with its $1.29 songs.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:05 am Reply with quote
I would prefer just DVD requests, but that's because those are the only things I know how to find and know the going rates on. However, I won't just toss manga and CD requests away because I'm sure there are several people here who are Manga/CD Hounds and can help. So go ahead and ask about Manga and CD's, but know that I'm not sure how much help you'll recieve. If it ends up that there are several people who know how to hunt down that stuff, I'll fix the opening post to include those.

jmfsilenthill wrote:
Hi, you helped me out with Paranoia Agent a while back! Thanks again!

No prob. About Jin-Roh, using that chapters site luffypirate85 brought up, I found it there for $70. I know that's still kind of pricey, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere else and I'm gonna go ahead and guess that's a good as it gets- especially considering the MSRP is $90.

Now, I've never heard of this site, let alone used it, so I don't know how good it is. I do know, though, that this qualifies for free shipping and it's located in Canada and I know that helps you since you don't have to pay a C.O.D. charge.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote
luffypirate85 wrote:
Get ready for one intense eargasm Cool Sh*t sounds magnificent. Think I might watch it again tonight...

I consider Yukikaze a prime example of 'anime I bought out of a bargain bin that will ultimately eat a hole in my wallet.' Laughing

If the sound's that good, I may have to talk my fiance into letting me watch it at his place... he has a much, MUCH better sound setup than I do (spliced his stereo speakers into his surround sound, making a psuedo 9.1 out of it. Very Happy )

Wooga wrote:

There are 3 'stages'- first stage, second stage, etc..
Anyways, here are the first 4 volumes of the first stage for $5:
http://page19.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/x90797880

Shocked How did you do that so fast?! I haven't found hide nor hair of this series in nearly 10 years!
TheTheory

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:35 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
you can buy the Japanese release(it has english language and subtitles), however I like the R1 edition alot.

I could be wrong of course, but I was thinking that Honneamise's US and Japanese Blu-Ray releases were the same thing. Always seems like the same cover art, box style, and features.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:40 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:

No prob. About Jin-Roh, using that chapters site luffypirate85 brought up, I found it there for $70. I know that's still kind of pricey, but I haven't been able to find it anywhere else and I'm gonna go ahead and guess that's a good as it gets- especially considering the MSRP is $90.

Now, I've never heard of this site, let alone used it, so I don't know how good it is. I do know, though, that this qualifies for free shipping and it's located in Canada and I know that helps you since you don't have to pay a C.O.D. charge.

Thanks, I've actually bouht manga off that site and they have great customer service. I never thought about looking for Jin Roh there. I'll look into it, especially since people are managing to get Yukikaze off that site. Thanks alot.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:42 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
jmfsilenthill wrote:
you can buy the Japanese release(it has english language and subtitles), however I like the R1 edition alot.

I could be wrong of course, but I was thinking that Honneamise's US and Japanese Blu-Ray releases were the same thing. Always seems like the same cover art, box style, and features.

Yeah they are identical, except that the dvd that comes with the Japanese box is R2, which isn't a big deal. I just want the R1 version because I'm a nerd Razz .
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:49 pm Reply with quote
I’ve got a good one for The King of Harts.

Haibane Renmei: Volume 3. (R1 only)

I have found Volume 1, 2 and 4 brand new and at a great price, but I can’t find Vol 3 for fewer than forty five dollars. I have no objection to a used copy; however, I do not want to purchase anything that is not in good condition. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 35