• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Cracks Down on Bootleggers at Anime Expo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Haiseikoh 1973

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:29 am Reply with quote
Kazuki-san wrote:
nagash wrote:
It is not illegal, as was pointed out further below in another post, to sub and carry a title that has not been licensed in America.

That being said, I do download unlicensed anime, but as far as the law is concerned, it is illegal.

But for the fansubbers, they know that Japanese Owners of said copyright won't spend time and money outside of Japan to go after the fansubbers. Much like how Comic Book Companies here in the US won't go after freelance artists for drawing their copyrighted characters.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:32 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:

But for the fansubbers, they know that Japanese Owners of said copyright won't spend time and money outside of Japan to go after the fansubbers. Much like how Comic Book Companies here in the US won't go after freelance artists for drawing their copyrighted characters.

True, and I think they understand that having fansubs of unlicensed series helps get exposure to what would be otherwise unknown series when they are licensed. My point was only that according to the law, it is illegal.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:48 am Reply with quote
Of course, where Bandai has a direct link between Japan and the US, they're more than capable of going after companies selling bootlegs of Bandai titles whether they're licensed in the US or not. In Bandai's case a license is more like a formality showing that a title will be distributed in the US. When a Bandai title comes out in Japan, Bandai "of America" is more than capable of protecting those properties, US license or not.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:59 am Reply with quote
Haiseikoh 1973 wrote:
Much like how Comic Book Companies here in the US won't go after freelance artists for drawing their copyrighted characters.

Actually, DC Comics will go after anyone who makes money off of their character likenesses. While I can't say for sure they've actually gone to court over this, they have been known to shut down many ebay auctions selling fan art and custom action figures. They're very touchy about who's doing what, even to the point that they won't allow ToyFare Magazine (a Wizard publication) use of their character likenesses unless it's news related (In other words advertising something for free). Anyone who reads their magazine will notice that they had to change "Twisted Mego Theater" to "Twisted ToyFare Theater" and no longer use DC characters in their toy comics and gags. I guess DC just doesn't have a sense of humor.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:48 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
I guess DC just doesn't have a sense of humor.

DC is a subsidiary of WB and when it comes to IP rights and similar issues WB is very anal.

-t
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9