• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I know of a place to get DVDs before they come out

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 1:19 am Reply with quote
I live in San Francisco CA and it is known that this city is big on anime. In Japan Town there is a store in Japan Town (but I won't say the in the name) that sells titles a least a week early. I don't know how many early relases I bought. They are least a week early and the most a month. So I think it would be a good idea for tourists to shop if they come San Francsico. (I am not advertising and my spelling sucks just incase I mispelled any thing)

Last edited by Angel Lily on Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:02 am Reply with quote
Hmm. Well, I actually pre-order/reserve my stuff online, but it's nice that you can get your stuff a week in advance. I just don't think it's really worth getting one week in advance though, as it'll be the same a week later.

Last edited by Tony K. on Sun Jun 27, 2004 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
YUGI

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:39 am Reply with quote
Its not amazing cause stores try to hold off on tuesday to release it but they can do that
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Releasing early is risky though. Some stores can get away with somehow, but ones that are cought can be faced with some serious consequences, as severe as distributers refusing to provide for shops. I remember a local FYE had to wait a week before getting their alotment of the second Harry Potter movie because they broke street on the first movie, the manager ended up having to go to another store to share stock with them. However, Gamestop always seems to break street on their anime DVDs, not sure how they get around this, probably because their stuff comes from a private company warehouse rather than a distributer/vender, not sure.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 7:39 pm Reply with quote
In order to make sure that all stores get DVDs on time for the proper release date, distributors set a target to get the DVDs to the stores a few days early. That way, if there's an unexpected delay somewhere there's a bit of padding and the stores probably still get the DVDs on time.

The stores are supposed to keep the DVDs off the shelves till the release date.

In other industries, stores that put the DVDs on the shelves early (break street), are often punished (as in the example Emerge gives above).

Because the anime industry is so small, it doesn't carry a lot of clout. Stores need to carry Harry Potter, but they don't need to carry RaXephon (ADV needs them to carry RaXephon). So there's very little anime companies can do about stores that break street.

Many smaller stores don't even know they're doing anything wrong, they just get the DVDs, unpack them, and put them on the shelf.

Several anime companies distribute directly (ADV, Bandai, Pioneer), these companies could, if they wanted, delay shipments to stores that break street. But it's not like they run around checking the shelves of every store they ship to. For them to delay a shipment, they'd have to get a complaint from another store first.

And even then, none of these companies are the exclusive distributors of their own product. They also deal with Diamond, AAA Anime, and other distributors & wholesalers. So if a store gets put on the "late delivery list," that store can just turn around and make its orders from another distributor or wholesaler.
Ramen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I know exactly which store you are talking about. They consistantly break street date, they pretty much sell at the retail cost (so that's 30 bucks a DVD, generally) and they sell bootlegs. Eh, I'll go ahead and wait a few weeks to get my DVD's.
YUGI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Ramen, They are legal DVD's, but they come in on Saturday .or Friday before street release.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:44 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering how is this post actually helpful to anyone? The last time I visited SF, I think in Chinatown, they sold bootleg HK Anime DVD. Getting new released a week early isn't a big deal.
Ramen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:54 pm Reply with quote
YUGI wrote:
Ramen, They are legal DVD's, but they come in on Saturday .or Friday before street release.

You misunderstand. They sell bootlegs, as well as legitimate DVD's. I was saying that they sell the legitimate DVD's at retail price. They also sell them about a week or so before the street date. In addition to that, they sell bootlegs. . .

That is, if we are talking about the same store. I am pretty confident since there is only one store like this in the Japan Town Center in San Francisco.
Angel Lily

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I regret ever writing this topic. Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1