• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-04-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shichimi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
As for reaming on topic...

Fnar.

Thought this strip was great fun, and I think we all know people who get like this over something.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:42 am Reply with quote
I can sympathise, many people dismiss anyone who likes Kodomo no Jikan as gross pedophiles, and of course most people see the whole lolicon topic conected to it. A great deal of fans get deffensive about something they like being treated like filth and might snap back at people who are just saying it is not their cup of tea.

I just hope I don't become the sort to snap back like that for someone just saying their opinion and not yet not being judgemental.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
Whoever wins, we all lose.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
Shichimi wrote:
Fnar.

Indeed and corrected. Someone apparently sent the wrong cool-Aid this time.
Cait

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
I particularly enjoyed the wall of text in each panel. Good stuff.

If we as a community can't laugh at our own flaws, we have a more serious problem to consider than the one the strip addresses.
thefuturemrsuzumaki

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote
rockman nes wrote:
TheFutureMrs.Uzumaki wrote:
Oh god this is classic. xD ...The whole "First they came for the lolis" link made me LOLOLOL.

But it is true; almost everything is censored now. *sighs* Americans need to embrace their sexuality more. I mean, sex is on TV but people are so afraid of sex.

Don't they know that's how they were born?

Way to miss the entire message of the comic Rolling Eyes ...

Yeah I have a tendency to do that. I feel like an idiot now since I was pretty much just ranting. ^^;;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:59 pm Reply with quote
So where's the joke? Razz Just kidding but man... too real this comic strip is. Too real. Makes me cry.

Also I hear finding Jesus is pretty easy. He's always looking for new people. I hear it really depends if his dad likes you or not.
FlamingPinecone

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:53 pm Reply with quote
you are now aware that somebody somewhere on the internet has a booger fetish and deeply wishes buuga-tan was real.

fawhooosh!
Ranma824

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:43 pm Reply with quote
As long as Kevin's comments don't involve the content, and remain ignorant; then he can be grossed out as much as he wants.

In the end, it's his loss for not be open minded.

Also, Buuga-tan is F***ing EPIC!
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I laughed at this! It was so funny, there really are people like that guy who overreact to things that they have bad taste in! Poor Kevin, yet another weirdo for him to deal with. I feel for you Kev.
Dark Elf Warrior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
While this comic is pretty hilarious, I can't help but feel that the folks at ANN just don't get why people get defensive and angry.

Those who really like the "unpopular" side of otakudom (although these things can hardly be called unpopular, really, since they keep making more of it ... obviously there is a huge market for ecchi and lolicon and horny high school girls!) just worry that they are getting a bad wrap for nothing.

Here's a comparison: if someone says that the statue of David or Lolita is "disgusting" they would immediately be swamped with arguments for the artistic value of both. If someone says that Kodomo No Jikan is "disgusting" on the forum here and someone tries to make arguments for the merits of the plot, they are ignored, shot down, or labeled a pedo. It USED TO BE the general consensus in our country that Lolita, for example, was disgusting smut and should be banned. People argued that it wasn't and proved that there was artistic value and merit - even though it's really just the memoirs of a pedophile. It's now considered great literature.

Now, I don't think that KnJ or Chu-Bra! are going to fall among the ranks of great literature (or even great anime), but there is some value, and when someone says "That's disgusting!" people can't help but make the counter-argument. Are you saying that people shouldn't counter an argument that Lolita is nothing more than "disgusting" ... or any nude art? I mean, really, think about it. It isn't fair to say that fans of lolicon, for instance, have to just sit back and shut up and never make intelligent arguments for why some loli material has merit and value beyond being fap-worthy for pedophiles.

Since it's something so controversial, people want to defend it. If no one had defended Lolita, it would probably still be a banned book. Now, I realize that Zac alone saying that Loli is disgusting isn't going to get it banned, but it's along the same vein - and he isn't the only one with that sentiment (obviously this issue IS coming up in the law in both the US and Japan).

You can't say it's the same as someone saying "Mecha is stupid" and the mecha fans being "reasonable" and just saying "Oh well, you don't like it, but I do" ... fans of the more questionable material need to defend it since it isn't ONLY a matter of personal taste, but an issue of whether or not the material should even be legal. That makes a huge difference.

Chill out. You're taking this comic too seriously. Robin is only poking fun at the people who get all bent out of shape because people don't like what they like.

Quote:
1. this comic isn't written by the ANN staff

2. It isn't the issue that I and a few others on staff don't understand or don't "get" why people get defensive and angry. It's that your rationale for getting upset when someone says they find your particular fetish anime gross isn't something I can buy or agree with.

Thank you.
dho331

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
My dad is basically the atheist version of the find jesus asshole. Most of the people on this forum are the guy that is disinterested and mellow. On all except the last slide I'm the guy that loves said manga. It's sad but true Edited. There are places for political rhetoric, this isn't one of them. - mod
DoktorZetsubou

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Hilarious comic, as always- quite accurate, and I must admit I snickered at the concept of "Buuga-tan".

As far as the message goes... I'm one of those crazies that thinks everyone should be allowed to look at everything, as long as no one was harmed against their will in the making of the material.
However, there's nothing worse than fans who get butthurt over other people not sharing their views and go around feeling all ~persecuted~ over it. I think we can all agree on that.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:07 pm Reply with quote
moritheil wrote:
Interesting comparison to make. I guess Robin reads AD. Just wish our site was still up. Razz

Really? Personally, I found this to be more of a parable to the Hadley case and the overall discussions thereof. Having said that, I can certainly understand where you're coming from with the anime.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:43 am Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
While this comic is pretty hilarious, I can't help but feel that the folks at ANN just don't get why people get defensive and angry.

As pointed out Robin is not part of the staff. A brief 3 minutes of research would have shown that. But then again doing that would disprove the stereotype shown in the comic that you just proved. That stereotype being the hardcore oatku love to hulk out and rage at people who dare to say a show they like is creepy and/or sucks. That they just look for an excuse to cry foul when people are saying the show, not the fans/people personally, sucks and is creepy. Seriously, why is it ok for some fans to complain about a show you don't like, say mecha shows for example as a lot of fans don't like them, but yet when it's a show you like getting dumped on it's not ok? And anytime someone does look down on a show such fans like they immediately take it as a personal attack and cry foul. Rather hypocritical and unfair if you ask me.

As for the strip itself it was hilariours. Nose picking may be the one topic not yet delved into. Though knowing the Japanese I am probably wrong lol. The timing was simply brilliant too considering the strips are sent it weeks in advance. So the fact this falls right on the time Strike Witches is reviewed and the Spring Guide comes out is just epic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5