• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Haruhi Suzumiya Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Well, you could try this approach . . . tell them that there are tons of books that we get translated from other countries and our books get translated for them too. How else would we ever learn about other cultures or communicate our thoughts and ideas with them? Then, of course they will rebuttal you with something like, "I know, but I just . . . " and then say, "what do you have to lose? Who knows? You may actually enjoy it." Unless they just hate books. Then, refer them to ROD (TV). Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
ninjapet wrote:
They just think it's not a real book cause of the drawings plus there thinking it's just a toned down copy of a manga or something.
Make sure to tell them the books came first. Also, you might want to point out to them that many of the great classic novels had illustrations and even comic adaptions. (Maybe even let them in on the fact that the manga is the watered down version of Haruhi!)

And as Bento-Box posted, all kinds of translated books and materials come into this country and others all the time. The founding documents of this country were written by men who took inspiration from numerous foreign sources as well as great colonial thinkers of their time. Reading material from other countries can be fun and even world changing.
ninjapet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
I will tell them next time I see them. I will bring my copy of the book and read them the prologue! Anime hyper

or just tell them that it's a book not a manga, and that the drawing are like in any book series.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Just remembered this after reading some Tale of Two Cities last night. Alice and Wonderland and most of the Grim stories all had pics in them - depending on the publisher. Even the Da Vinci Code was published with "pictures" for one edition.

So, illustrations and pictures are not just limited to manga or Japanese media.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AndrewJose

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:07 am Reply with quote
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Sell over a million units? They won't get anywhere close to the same league as that. While we know that Haruhi is very popular among otaku in Japan and among hardcore fans in the U.S., I don't think anyone has said anything to indicate how well the Haruhi DVDs are selling in the U.S.

They are always a major part of business.Haruhi Dvds are one of the most awaited in Japan as well as in US also.
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Looks like Disappearance is getting a 4 month wait instead of 6 like the first 3 books.
Boredom in July, Disappearance in November according to Amazon.
population_tire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Sooo....Anyone else read Boredom yet?
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:04 pm Reply with quote
population_tire wrote:
Sooo....Anyone else read Boredom yet?
I have. I meant to post sooner but off-line life is kicking my ass. Sad

It was a very interesting read, especially Remote Island Syndrome since the book version and the anime version were so different. They added a lot to the original story when they did the anime version. Missed having Kyon's little sister there but it was still quite good.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
Remote Island Syndrome was the only one of the stories where I noticed any difference from the anime. Frankly, I preferred Sigh, where I only knew in advance that they were making the movie we saw as episode 0. Maybe if I hadn't seen the web release of Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody I would have enjoyed it more.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I have question that those who read ahead of the series and know more of the plot.

I'm currently reading the second book, and after reading the first book, I was really pumped to learn what have happened, etc. And...it turned into a direction I don't really care for. Like "generic" type of thing. I was hoping it would go into learning more about the different characters. Like seeing more of Yuki's world or perhaps seeing Mikuru's superiors.

Does this change to that deeper in the book? If not, do the other novels touch upon those things? If push comes to shove, I'll just get the books that deal with those specific issues.
population_tire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
Well I just bought Disappearance.
It's really good so far. Kyon's sarcasm never gets old.
AyreonMaiden

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
Finished Disappearance.

Absolutely the best one so far. I can only hope there's more books on this level of awesome in the series. I can only hope the next book comes out sooner. And also, that the later books have about this level of character development...I relish every opportunity to develop all the characters much more than I do the individual "misadventure" type stuff like in "Boredom."
einhorn303

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:14 am Reply with quote
Aww. My copy of Disappearance hasn't even shipped yet.
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:01 pm Reply with quote
Got Rampage yesterday.
atownlikejosh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:55 am Reply with quote
I've just finished reading The Rampage. Another very enjoyable instalment in the Haruhi Suzumiya series. I particularly enjoyed "Snowy Mountain Syndrome". I also really liked the fact that you read "The Endless Eight" only once! I'm really looking forward to The Wavering out on November 7th. Anime smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Novels All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8