• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2010-04-06

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Xenos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote
Good Christians should not persecute such people. Let he who is without sin cast the first booger.
minakichan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:43 am Reply with quote
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, that's the limit of my possible contribution to this topic...
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:02 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
As pointed out Robin is not part of the staff.

And that's kind of strange. All of the other regular contributors seem to be on the staff.

Anyway, curse those Japanese for mixing ingredients and coming up with anime that is so embarassing to enjoy!
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:56 am Reply with quote
There are two things I find wrong regarding this strip.

The first is that Robin isn't considered a part of the regular ANN staff. Far be it from me to presume the nature of ANN staff-hood, but it does come across as strange. This strip, truth be told, is one of the few reasons I actually visit ANN on a regular basis, and for a comic that serves as such an excellent draw and 'face' to the site, I find the setup rather odd.

The second is the stereotyping in the strip. It's clear that the author, Robin, is comparing three fan-types in this comic ~ the over-obssessed/defensive fan, the fundamentalist/religious zealot, and... the level-headed middle-grounder? I think at least some of us can agree that that last stereotype is almost unfairly portrayed as the 'sane' one in the group. Usually, they're all screaming, annoying douches. Laughing

I assume Robin is channeling her views through Kevin, which is why she puts a level-headed spin on the character's point of view. But to be fair, there are also level-headed fundamentalists along with otaku that discuss these issues, a point of view not reflected in this strip.

Not that Robin has to compare all of the viewpoints fairly, anyways. The strip is still funny in an ironic sense.

[Edit] Corrected Robin's gender.

Last edited by Kikaioh on Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I assume Robin is channeling himself through Kevin, which is why he puts a level-headed spin on the character's point of view. But to be fair, there are also level-headed fundamentalists along with otaku that discuss these issues, a point of view not reflected in this strip.

Her.

Herself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:39 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:

And that's kind of strange. All of the other regular contributors seem to be on the staff.

Anyway, curse those Japanese for mixing ingredients and coming up with anime that is so embarassing to enjoy!

OK, time to get weird about semantics, I guess.

What I said earlier was meant to say that the ANN staff does not convene in a conference room to write Anime News Nina. Robin does it on her own. The criticism levied was that "ANN thinks [whatever]" in reference to the comic, and I wanted to point out that you can't really say "ANN's position on [whatever] is [this]" and use a Nina strip as evidence. "We" don't write it, she does.

Robin's a freelancer, which makes her a contributor, kinda like when you see Chris Hitchens in Vanity Fair or whatever. Which is the same status most of our critics and columnists have. The titles really aren't that important, though.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I think I get you. So, does it signify anything at all that I can't find her on your web page listing staff? Am I not looking carefully enough, is her status actually different, or is this an oversight on ANN's part? All of the other columnists seem to be there.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:54 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
I think I get you. So, does it signify anything at all that I can't find her on your web page listing staff? Am I not looking carefully enough, is her status actually different, or is this an oversight on ANN's part? All of the other columnists seem to be there.

Oversight + she's never asked to be put there. Also there isn't anyone on staff who's really anal about keeping the staff page 100 percent accurate, which is really something I should probably start doing. I think Rebecca Bundy was still listed as the author of Answerman for like 6 months after I took it over in 2005.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that about sums it up.

Oh gawd, I love the cover. Please, you HAVE to do an anime adaptation.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm like Kevin, there are some anime out there that I just don't agree with, but I'm not going to go around stopping others from reading it, or condemning them. Like someone else said, as long as no one is hurt in the production of the piece, I'm usually fine with it. And unless it's proven to be causing the consumer/readers of the material to be harming others, it's fine. Most people use stuff like that to act out or release those tendencies in a fictional setting rather than in real life, so it can prevent harm even. If anyone follows what I'm saying. But basically, I'm glad that Kevin took the middle ground because I think too often only the extreme positions are represented.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:39 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:
I assume Robin is channeling himself through Kevin, which is why he puts a level-headed spin on the character's point of view. But to be fair, there are also level-headed fundamentalists along with otaku that discuss these issues, a point of view not reflected in this strip.

Her.

Herself.

Thank you for the correction. Very Happy I used to work with a male British consultant named Robin, and I assumed incorrectly that Robin Sevakis was also male.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:26 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
jenthehen wrote:
While this comic is pretty hilarious, I can't help but feel that the folks at ANN just don't get why people get defensive and angry.

As pointed out Robin is not part of the staff. A brief 3 minutes of research would have shown that. But then again doing that would disprove the stereotype shown in the comic that you just proved. That stereotype being the hardcore oatku love to hulk out and rage at people who dare to say a show they like is creepy and/or sucks. That they just look for an excuse to cry foul when people are saying the show, not the fans/people personally, sucks and is creepy. Seriously, why is it ok for some fans to complain about a show you don't like, say mecha shows for example as a lot of fans don't like them, but yet when it's a show you like getting dumped on it's not ok? And anytime someone does look down on a show such fans like they immediately take it as a personal attack and cry foul. Rather hypocritical and unfair if you ask me.

As for the strip itself it was hilariours. Nose picking may be the one topic not yet delved into. Though knowing the Japanese I am probably wrong lol. The timing was simply brilliant too considering the strips are sent it weeks in advance. So the fact this falls right on the time Strike Witches is reviewed and the Spring Guide comes out is just epic.

Just wanted to point out that you obviously didn't read what I wrote ...

And it doesn't matter whether Robin is part of the staff or not. The comic is clearly a commentary on the forums here due to ANN staff reviewers making comments about certain anime genres ... which leads to the back and forth *discussions* - I was just discussing this topic in general, and not really targeting Robin or any one particular person.

I just don't understand why people aren't allowed to make intelligent arguments to defend something they like. People would do it for other genres and nobody would care. Yes, there are some people who just say "STFU IDIOT You're unprofessional! This is TEH BEST ANIME EVER AND HAS NO FLAWS!" ... but I'm not talking about THOSE folks Wink
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:40 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:

As pointed out Robin is not part of the staff. A brief 3 minutes of research would have shown that. But then again doing that would disprove the stereotype shown in the comic that you just proved. That stereotype being the hardcore oatku love to hulk out and rage at people who dare to say a show they like is creepy and/or sucks. That they just look for an excuse to cry foul when people are saying the show, not the fans/people personally, sucks and is creepy. Seriously, why is it ok for some fans to complain about a show you don't like, say mecha shows for example as a lot of fans don't like them, but yet when it's a show you like getting dumped on it's not ok? And anytime someone does look down on a show such fans like they immediately take it as a personal attack and cry foul. Rather hypocritical and unfair if you ask me.

Couldn't agree with you more.
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:46 am Reply with quote
oh god oh god....is this just supposed to gross in an immature way or is it supposed to be like...hentai? Embarassed
2DOtaku

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:54 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

Couldn't agree with you more.

Probably because people go further than simply saying it's creepy or it sucks and go right ahead and say it should be outright banned, with no substantial ground for saying so other than their own (no doubt absolutely and universally correct) personal opinion. As an experiment, just dare to talk about K*J here and see how much the ensuing discussion resembles this strip (particularly the last two frames). Such previous discussions may very well have been Robin's inspiration here. For that alone, this is probably my favourite strip yet. Smile

Edit: I suppose 'panels' would be a more appropriate word to use than 'frames'. That's what weeks of Cisco cramming can do to ya.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5