• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakura Con 2010 - Dark Horse Comics Industry Panel

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Does this mean Viz no longer has the rights to X?
_V_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:47 pm Reply with quote
nobody in their right mind would buy Campus Apocalypse
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:26 pm Reply with quote
If I recall, Bride of the Water God was one of a select number of titles that they had shelved for an extended period of time roughly two years ago. Unlike most of those, it actually came back and is now selling decently for them??

Odd.

Interesting how they actually brought up Exaxxion again, though.

And where are those two volumes of Translucent that you said you were going to finish?? Crying or Very sad
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:48 pm Reply with quote
Buster Blader 126 wrote:
If I recall, Bride of the Water God was one of a select number of titles that they had shelved for an extended period of time roughly two years ago. Unlike most of those, it actually came back and is now selling decently for them??

Odd.

It's an interesting title-been reading it from the start (pre-ordered every volume.) Right Stuf has Vol 1-10/10/07, Vol 2-1/23/08, Vol 3-5/12/09, Vol 4-9/9/09 & vol 5-1/29/10 with no further volumes posted for pre-order. I've waited longer for other titles (Ice Kunion's changeover to Yen put a large break into One Thousand & One Nights & Antique Gift Shop. Manwha seems to ship slower than manga--most of the companies seem to go with at least a quarterly schedule anymore. It's soooo long. It also seems to get dropped quicker. King of Hell, Queen's Knight... Will we ever see the next Devil's Bride?
I was so grateful, as great as it's been, to reach the end of Antique Gift Shop this month.
I wish DH would give 3X3 Eyes another stab. It was ages ago they released it for ridiculous amounts of money (I think I paid $16 or $18 for the last one they put out). Get it closer to $10, pitch the zombie angle....
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:59 am Reply with quote
CCS: Seriously. If they can take a chance on Reiko, I'm still baffled why they didn't wanna reboot 3x3 Eyes. But then this is the company which seems to still think YUA would bomb, in spite of all the different anime installments we've seen released over the years since then.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:02 am Reply with quote
As a CLAMP fan I don't know if I should be annoyed with Darkhorse, or happy. I already have most of what Tokyopop released, and am fine with it. Their Chobits, Cardcaptor Sakura, and everything else they've mentioned they're releasing I already own. Add to that I have their Clover omnibus and think the quality is crap so it's a total mixed bag. They would have to make something about the release really appealing to make me double dip with those titles, and I only got Clover because Tokyopop last released it back in the days where they flipped manga (flipped or not, that was one of Tokyopop's best quality releases). What I'd like to see are more art books, which is why the only CLAMP thing I see me buying from them any time soon is Okimono Kimono.

And they were right, releasing X would be annoying. Another series I already own, and Viz did a great job, and got as far as where the series was released in Japan. I'm surprised that Viz let that one get away for how long they owned it.

As to that Evangelion Campus Apocalypse thing I might just buy it for a laugh because it seemed like a fanfiction where someone put the Eva kids into a Persona game.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
wolf: No money to be made on X, if it's not been continued for ten years. I imagine if Kishiro was taking as long to continue GunM, then Viz would also drop it, Cameron movie be damned.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I'm almost not surprised that Bride of the Water God did better than expected, it's beautifully drawn and the love-story (from what I've read, got to get back into buying those) isn't stranger/worse than most shojos. I can actually see a lot of people liking it.
Hmm, interesting to hear that Holic is taking longer than CLAMP expected, I wondered if that was the case or not.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:
CCS: Seriously. If they can take a chance on Reiko, I'm still baffled why they didn't wanna reboot 3x3 Eyes.

I wish they'd continue Shadow Star. Viz is publishing Bokurano...
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Quote:
CCS: Seriously. If they can take a chance on Reiko, I'm still baffled why they didn't wanna reboot 3x3 Eyes.

I wish they'd continue Shadow Star. Viz is publishing Bokurano...

Ditto. I've got 6 volumes of DH's Shadowstar (and the first couple Supermanga Blast issues that got me into it) and it being one of my first manga outside of Sailor Moon I got into I'd very much like to finish it, edited or not. I've yet to find another manga like it, and the art was really nice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1