• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cast for Ghibli's Karigurashi no Arrietty Revealed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:11 am Reply with quote
SCORE! A new Studio Ghibli flick! While I wish it wasn't an adaptation, because of the all the adaptations/remakes that have been coming out as of late, there's no doubt in my mind that it's going to be good. They have yet to disappoint with any of their films, and even though Miyazaki isn't directing (at least I don't think he is), this is sure to be an excellent film, and much better than that shoddy live-action "Borrowers" adaptation that came out in the mid-nineties.

Disney, if you're listening, LICENSE THIS. Shocked
Sheleigha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
While I'm always happy when a new Ghibli movie is announced (is Miyazaki even doing this one?) it's sad when none are all that original anymore. Howl's = based on book, Ponyo = LOOSELY based on book, and heck even Kiki's = based on book (never been one of my favorites). As far as Miyazaki movies goes, his originals are his BEST. Maybe it comes with age, but I think Spirited Away is probably his last original thought.

Oh, and thinking of Earthsea = also ALSO based on a book... let's hope Goro doesn't take over >_> I had such high hopes for that, and was sad with how... boring it was :/ The Japanese critics were right about him. Such a dissapointment...

Also not too too big a fan of Ghibli movies, directed by others... except for The Cat Returns, the only one I've thoroughly enjoyed.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
Miyazaki is writing the picture but a Ghibli Animator is directing it
Hiromasa Yonebayashi.

I kind of feel sorry for Goro, granted I haven't seen his film which apparently was a disaster but it can't be easy when you are essentially in the shadow of a legend who happens to be your own father.
silver_deeds

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:05 am Reply with quote
I think this adaptation will work out if Miyazaki isn't on the front lines directing it. The Borrowers has a good plot line that Ghibli could have a lot of fun with. It would be hard to go wrong with such a simple plot like a little person living under the floor befriending a human boy, and crazy stuff happens.

And on a side note, I didn't think Earthsea was as terrible as they say. Way better than Ponyo, at least. It's something you should see yourself before deciding your opinion. Sure, the climax was dumb, but there were a lot of good subtle choices made that, if he didn't have people breathing down his back with set "this is how you do it" expectations, he can get better over time.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:43 am Reply with quote
Mirai Shida has also played the main character in the drama version of the "Seigi no Mikata" manga. She is a great actress, so let's hope she can be just as great a voice actor.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Sheleigha wrote:
Also not too too big a fan of Ghibli movies, directed by others... except for The Cat Returns, the only one I've thoroughly enjoyed.

Ever tried Isao Takahata's movies. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1