• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - State of the Nation

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alucalb

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
I think the Taskmaster would be a cool Marvel addition. He could copy most characters' fighting styles ala Shang Tsung and have some unique tricks up his sleeves.

Case against: Some players might dismiss him as a Skeletor knockoff.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:03 am Reply with quote
By the end of this thread, we're basically going to list everyone in the Marvel Universe, aren't we?

I don't know how taskmaster would work. He would have to be a Sheng Tsung type.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GospelX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote
OK, I'll be that guy: Jubilee does indeed have a new outfit since the 90's. However, she is still completely useless - more so since she lost her powers a few years ago during the mass depowering ("No more mutants").
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:52 pm Reply with quote
"Dinner. Dinner. Dinner. Dinner!"

Oh gawd, that was so damn retarded I couldn't help but laugh. I wonder if that game was any good. But you have to admit bad dubs are always a laugh in games. Man feels like being back during the Playstation era. Early Playstation.

I really hope that game gets made it would be interesting. A jrpg about "moe" consoles fighting against more evil moe consoles. I'm surprised that it hasn't happened yet. I mean I remember awhile back that MINE Yoshizaki did some fanart of consoles in cute "moe" girl form. I'm surprised considering his popularity it never became a reality.

I've heard about the new game from 'Mistwalker' still not sure about it yet.
Showsni

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Since my main exposure to X-Men was the 90s cartoon, Jubilee's always been one of the main characters to me!

I like J-RPGs, I just wish more of them were released on consoles I own/in my country. Still waiting for Baten Kaitos 2! (It's never coming over here, is it?)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I really wonder Last Story is going to be like. Playable tiger ally has my vote.

On JRPGs: Part of the problem with JRPGs is poor advertising and lack of general interest in the genre. Pretty much 90% of JRPGs don't get some kind of sufficient mention (other than something like Game Informer with its two-page spreads) and hence a huge consensus of them go largely ignored. It's still sad to see people who don't know what Grandia, Suikoden, Wild Arms or any other series is. Believe me, they do exist out there. Final Fantasy relies heavily on the popularity that it's retained since the late 80s, so it never needed special mention.

On a side note, that link was funny. I remember that part. The English dub for IU was hammy, but by no means was it bad. I don't think I'll ever finish the game though. I stopped liking it quite a long time ago.

While I'm on the subject, Infinite Undiscovery is one example of trying to cram too much into a JRPG. It definitely had a unique premise and setup, but almost instantly its appeal kind of wore out after you escape from the prison. Battles tend to get too convoluted with linking up with your ally and telling them what to do. That kind of ruined it for me. Not to mention, not being able to control any other character. What is it with this "you can only control the hero" crap anyway? Mimana Iyar Chronicles kind of wrecked itself with that system too.

I think because the genre itself has been milked to holy hell of any and all original concepts, it's hard to make one that shows enough appeal out there. We've seen every kind of hero, every kind of team, every kind of save-the-world story, every kind of plot twist, etc. out there. Though despite this, it's possible to still make something creative, such as Eternal Sonata or Jeanne D'Arc, and appreciate it so that its charm never wears thin.

MvC3: You know, it's odd Talbain didn't appear in either Namco x Capcom or Cross Edge, given his popularity among the Darkstalkers/werewolf lover fans. Seeing him in a MvC game would be a nice change, plus it'd make the furries happy lol. I also want to see Blanka in a MvC for once.

If I had my choice of Capcom characters:

Breath of Fire III: Garr and Teepo
Breath of Fire IV: Scias and Ursula
Megaman X4: Magma Dragoon
Megaman X5: Spiral Pegasus and Burn T-Rex
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
daedelus wrote:
I've never really bought in to the whole "JRPG's are dead" hype.
I've never bought into the whole notion of "J"RPGs in the first place. Aren't the load of them just essentially trying to win over the fanbase that Final Fantasy VII (and Tetsuya Nomura's character designs) established towards the Playstation era? You know, the ones who think extremely zany yet senseless-in-context aesthetics and emo make great stories?

To me, games like Strange Journey, Etrian Odyssey, Demon's Souls, Shiren, Infinite Space are great examples of Japanese made role-playing games that do not fall into the same crappy cliches that most mainstream "J-Pop" RPGs do (modern Tales of games, Resonance of Fate). In fact, I'd sill say Final Fantasy VI is still the best of the series, and the rest of the franchise turned crap beginning with VII and the advent of FMVs with the Playstation. They don't bs the player into a way of reasoning, but instead let them react as if they were the protagonist(s).

(Of course, most people here probably don't even bother to play these titles because they're on a handheld or because they're from way before their era.)
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Bleu

It's Deis, dammit. Deis Deis Deis Deis Deis Deis Deis Deis...*goes off to a corner to sulk*
RDespair

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:25 pm Reply with quote
That's disappointing. I saw XBox Indies and I thought he was going to talk about our JRPG-style game, Breath of Death VII: The Beginning, which is scheduled to come out on XBox Live Indie Games in a week or two. Particularly, since I sent him an email about it last week offering to send him a free copy of the game (might have gotten lost in the the transit though - had to send it to the generic [email protected] since he doesn't have an email listed)

MAMOTTE KNIGHT does look like fun though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Ha, that section about JRPGs was one of the best reads I've had in a while--very well said.

Tales ftw. Cool
Mister V

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:36 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Ah yeah. I hate that. RoF actually sounds pretty cool despite it's rather mediocre reviews. I'd like to check it out but with it's proximity to FFXIII it ends up relegated to my back-list with all the other stuff I'll probably never actually get around to.

RoF is really good. At least, it's my first JRPG, and I'm enjoying it a lot. It really can't compare to the top western-style RPGs, of course, but the combat makes it all worth it. I took a risk buying it, actually, because I couldn't imagine spending hours in a game just for the sake of mechanics (combat and puzzles in a certain way), but it is fun, very much so. I'd like to have something with more story (and I don't mind long cutscenes, unlike some people), but it's good in its own way.
The reviews of course underline the weak points of the game (environments, veeery distant and slow progression of storyline), and they're right to, but it's more fun than some make it look.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
i rather liked the part on the state of JRPGs very informative, but i think i'll stick by my resoning for the fall, it probably more has to do with JRPGS turning from this to this. while most western RPGs went from this to this

i mean which one of those two would you like to play?
sepherest

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
i rather liked the part on the state of JRPGs very informative, but i think i'll stick by my resoning for the fall, it probably more has to do with JRPGS turning from this to this. while most western RPGs went from this to this

Magna Karta isn't a J-RPG. It was made in Korea.
Even going with your point, it's near impossible to compare and contrast with either form of role-playing.
There are quite a few horrible WRPGs as well as JRPGs, and ones that are excellent on either side.
Animehermit

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Sepherest wrote:
animehermit wrote:

Even going with your point, it's near impossible to compare and contrast with either form of role-playing.
There are quite a few horrible WRPGs as well as JRPGs, and ones that are excellent on either side.

the comparison merits warrant, they are the same genre of games. RPGs have always been about story. And when it comes down to it; today most JRPGs can't hold up. you mention that each has their own good and bad games, but tell me can you think of any JRPG outside of the final fantasy series that got as good of reviews as Mass Effect 2 did? in the past 5 years? in the past 10? nothing comes to mind, there have been a couple of OK games here and there but nothing like we used to see. Although i suppose you could argue we were getting a lot less of the terrible ones back then, but hey, even the good ones we got then are better than the ok-ish ones we have now.

also Magna Carta may have been Korean(i didn't know this) but it uses a lot of the tropes that plague JRPGs and it was the first one i could think of.
sfried

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
animehermit wrote:
Sepherest wrote:
animehermit wrote:

the comparison merits warrant, they are the same genre of games. RPGs have always been about story. And when it comes down to it; today most JRPGs can't hold up. you mention that each has their own good and bad games, but tell me can you think of any JRPG outside of the final fantasy series that got as good of reviews as Mass Effect 2 did? in the past 5 years? in the past 10? nothing comes to mind, there have been a couple of OK games here and there but nothing like we used to see. Although i suppose you could argue we were getting a lot less of the terrible ones back then, but hey, even the good ones we got then are better than the ok-ish ones we have now.

also Magna Carta may have been Korean(i didn't know this) but it uses a lot of the tropes that plague JRPGs and it was the first one i could think of.
Those are alot of heavy generalizations in that statement, so your comparison if very skewed towards the newer generation. Not every RPG made in Japan is a fashion show made to appeal to folks who like to hang in places like Shinjuku (i.e. FFVII and up, RPGs made on the big consoles post-32/64 bit era.). Not to mention there are a couple that defy the those stereotypes (i.e. no high school teenagers, darker themes, serious plots, etc), but as I've said in the above post, most people never heard or play them because they are ignorant.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4