• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dentsu Entertainment USA Subsidiary Established in California

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:45 am Reply with quote
Geneon 2? I wasn't sure the day would ever come... Between this and Aniplex America (my personal gripes about the TTGL release aside), it seems that R1 could be in for a bit of a shaking up, which is good I think.

Last edited by Big Hed on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
ZenErik

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:49 am Reply with quote
Interesting news. More major players would be nice. I'm a bit sick of Funimation licensing everything and releasing it with shitty packaging and up to 7 episodes on a disc..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
neocloud9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:03 am Reply with quote
DID SOMEONE SAY DELTORA QUEST?

I would really love to see that anime, I used to love the books.
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote
Is it bad that I just kindof shrugged this story off until I read "Mabeshiba"? Anime hyper

Seriously, I would love some easy to get Mabeshiba toys and plushies. It might be a little too "weird and Japanese" to some people, but Domo-kun managed to be successful here right?
prime_pm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:42 am Reply with quote
I only know one out of four of these titles.

Sad
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:05 am Reply with quote
Big Hed wrote:
Geneon 2? I wasn't sure the day would ever come...

The article says that Dentsu transferred their stake in Geneon to Universal so there is no longer any connection between them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
labantnet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:30 am Reply with quote
Maybe we'll get some Basquash! and possibly a re-release of Bt'X.

Or...

SHIN GETTER ROBO VS. NEO GETTER ROBO!!!
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:32 am Reply with quote
........WHY? Industry is already hurting as it is...I guess the Japanese want to try to sell directly to the US market. Because that worked so well with Geneon.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:28 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
........WHY? Industry is already hurting as it is...I guess the Japanese want to try to sell directly to the US market. Because that worked so well with Geneon.

Pioneer/Geneon USA lasted around 15 years and was well respected from what I recall. Perhaps you are thinking of Bandai Visual?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
Interesting news. More major players would be nice. I'm a bit sick of Funimation licensing everything and releasing it with shitty packaging and up to 7 episodes on a disc..

As if they're the only company doing that. *looking at Sentai and their awful STACKpaks*
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:35 am Reply with quote
ZakuAce wrote:
It's just another case of the Japanese thinking "Oh we can do it better! You guys aren't doing it right."
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:13 am Reply with quote
Daimao Raki wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:
It's just another case of the Japanese thinking "Oh we can do it better! You guys aren't doing it right."

From their perspective, we probably aren't. Anime isn't as big in the US as it is in Japan, so obviously someone needs to show American companies how to sell a foreign product to the American masses.

The minute I saw the name, I was wondering why Dentsu would bother when they were part of the problem with Geneon USA going away. (Corporate machinations in Japan) Geneon had good product, but Americans are cheap jerks who want 26 episodes of anime for $5. I never understood the 'I can get "This lame title' for $50, so why should I buy 'This title I'd really prefer & would buy if it were $50'" If I want a cheeseburger from one place, but settle for something from somewhere else, all I'm going to do is put it off because I'll still want that cheeseburger. If I want Trigun, I'm not going to be happy buying Blue Gender instead.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:15 am Reply with quote
Cool as long as they will dub and get some good anime it will be ok
Chrno2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:57 am Reply with quote
Wow, considering their relations with Geneon it's like an old friend making a comeback. But not quite in that way. Well, I welcome 'Dentsu' I hope that they can prove themselves in the bringing over quality entertainment for the US market.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:12 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
ZenErik wrote:

As if they're the only company doing that. *looking at Sentai and their awful STACKpaks*

Yes but releasing like this shows their understanding of the American market. People want to pay less for the product, so they have to skimp on the packaging and extras. I guess we'll have to see how these new guys release and what their price points will be.

Shiroi Hane wrote:
ZakuAce wrote:

Pioneer/Geneon USA lasted around 15 years and was well respected from what I recall. Perhaps you are thinking of Bandai Visual?

Yea, Bandai is a better example. But I'll probably go back and listen to the Geneon ANNcast again to evaluate my first example.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3