• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Satoshi Nishimura, director of Trigun: Badlands Rumble

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:15 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to get more excited about this Trigun movie, especially knowing that Nightow himself worked on this.

As I suspected, the American response to the series was a big reason for creating the movie, and it stands as proof to the naysayers that think the support of anime in America means nothing that it really does.

I really hope we get a bilingual release of this movie on DVD or Blu-Ray in the near future with a returning English cast from the TV series dub. I'm sure that Johnny Yong Bosch would be more than glad to reprise his first and most popular role in anime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:30 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I'm starting to get more excited about this Trigun movie, especially knowing that Nightow himself worked on this.

As I suspected, the American response to the series was a big reason for creating the movie, and it stands as proof to the naysayers that think the support of anime in America means nothing that it really does.

I really hope we get a bilingual release of this movie on DVD or Blu-Ray in the near future with a returning English cast from the TV series dub. I'm sure that Johnny Yong Bosch would be more than glad to reprise his first and most popular role in anime.

Exactly what I was going to say on all three paragraphs.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:31 am Reply with quote
This begs the question, what is his favorite movie(s)?
lessonguy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
This begs the question, what is his favorite movie(s)?

If i recall correctly, when i was at Satoshi Nishimur's panel during Sakura-con, there was a question on what his faveorite series was, and i believe he said it was "Galaxy Express 999", but then i could have heard wrong, maybe the Movie "Galaxy Express 999" was his faveorite.. either way he loves Leigi Matsumoto's works.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
Just want to thank Crystalyn Hodgkins for this interview and all her work covering SakuraCon. (yes, I read and enjoyed all of it).

Really, really looking forward to seeing this movie.
mabber36

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:52 am Reply with quote
Fascinating. cant wait to see it
Otaking09

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:14 am Reply with quote
What I liked about this interview (other than how cool it was to know specifics), was further proof that Americans influence them more than we can ever know.

I wouldn't be surprised if this movie gets the same treatment as the Eureka Seven movie. i.e. getting an English dub and released theatrically for a limited time with only a FEW months in-between release dates.

Good stuff.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:15 am Reply with quote
Well, I still think that by and large the Japanese don't really care about foreign audiences. But it is great to see at least some of them understanding that there are fans out there in the world who not only appreciate Anime but are so numerous as to be a viable market that can be specifically targeted and catered to.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:51 am Reply with quote
Good stuff. I can't make it to the premier so I hope they get a DVD release out soon.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:01 am Reply with quote
Why do I think S23's gonna gun for the movie, and FUNi's gonna go broke-or at least stuck with a crappy quarter-betting on Eva 2.2? Laughing
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:50 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Why do I think S23's gonna gun for the movie, and FUNi's gonna go broke-or at least stuck with a crappy quarter-betting on Eva 2.2? Laughing

Because you're Daniel Zelter?
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

In addition to what was mentioned in the interview, we were told at the premiere that there were 6 shots that Nightow did, and to try to find them. I think I found 3 of them.
Elves

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:52 pm Reply with quote
That's cool to hear that American fans are heard and can actually influence the anime production in Japan. However, if it takes twelve years to see the results the turnaround time is just terrible! Wink lol
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:53 pm Reply with quote
After seeing a sneak peak of this movie at Expo last year, I can honestly say I'm stoked. Nightow himself said he's pleased that American viewers love his work and the news of a movie so much Very Happy
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Elves wrote:
That's cool to hear that American fans are heard and can actually influence the anime production in Japan. However, if it takes twelve years to see the results the turnaround time is just terrible! Wink lol

Well, I do remember this topic coming up during my visit to Madhouse in 2005, and it sounded like they'd be moving on that idea soon. Assuming it took them a year or so to get financing and two years or so to to make it.... It's more like 4-5 years. Not bad for a movie that was considered very risky. Remember Trigun wasn't that big in Japan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2