• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Which anime has your favourite music and why?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vinhthehero

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
-Hajime no Ippo had some great music during the training episodes and the fighting episodes. I loved it so much, I had to get myself the soundtrack.
-Clannad: After Story's was wonderful, it really matches with the scenes. I also got myself all the soundtracks. I loved both the original and the remixed version.
-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya had some nice background music, but the best music was from Episode 12, Live A Live.
-Samurai Champloo is of course also one of my favorites, because I love Nujabes and I was surprised to hear his music in there (I didn't know his music was in the anime. I've listened to him before I watched the anime).
-Bakemonogatari. Great anime, great music. Waiting for the Soundtrack.
-Here's an oldie, Dragonball Z. I grew up watching it and I still remember some of the music from the fight scenes.
MusicalMeme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:44 am Reply with quote
In all honesty, I think Yu-Gi-Oh! has one of the better soundtracks out there, especially the Japanese version. Have you heard some of those background tracks, like "Fang of Critias", "Passionate Duelists", and "God's Anger"? And the OP songs are all excellent , though I'm not too fond of the EDs and the 3rd OP song. I haven't watched GX or 5D's yet so I can't vouch for those.

And I don't know if this counts, but Prince of Tennis and Bleach have some of my favorite seiyuu songs ever. Not to mention the songs from the musicals, but I don't know if other people on the boards watched the myus too Smile
RHachicho

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
Music in Anime is I think one of it's high points and it is very difficult for me to choose one in particular. I love bombastic orchestral military stuff you get in things like Gundam Seed,00 and Last Exile. Also don't mind the kind of rap you seem to get in Anime which is weird as I absolutely loathe western rap. The Japanese seem to put more emotion into theirs though it isn't just a long stream of filth about doing drugs, shooting people and doing indecent things to their mothers. Offerings like Samurai Champloo have definately raised the bar in that regard.

I also like the kind of metal that comes out of Japan it seems to extricate the terminal lung cancer singer (which I hate) and pump in lots more melody and meaning and innovations from other genres. Gurren Lagann and to a lesser extent Bleach/Naruto are for me good examples of this. There are probably loads more but those are the most recent I can remember.

Nope I can't do it there just isn't one show I love more than the others.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:39 am Reply with quote
Wow, there's so much good stuff out there, and a lot of it's already been mentioned, so I'd like to highlight a few things not mentioned, or briefly mentioned.

Open Your Mind from "Ah! My Goddess!" -- It's a beautiful song with great vocals. I had this song in mind as I drifted off before surgery to put myself at ease.

Pre-Parade from "Toradora" -- I like the singer's voice in this song, and she shows serious skill in singing some of those verses as fast as she does.

Masterpiece from "To Aru Majutsu no Index" -- The driving beat of this song gets me pumped up, and I really like the middle part where she sings about sprinting and kicking off the earth.

There's so much more out there I adore; staying at three songs is tough.
Andrez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:43 am Reply with quote
For me, the standouts musically-speaking in anime have tended to be the Production I.G outings - in particular the scores for Ghost Hound and Mamoru Oshii's Ghost in the Shell movies. Also Jin-Roh had an excellent soundtrack.

Not surprisingly all of these (except for Ghost Hound) were made by Kenji Kawai, one of my favorite producers here - he also did the Ring soundtrack.

Joe Hisaishi also usually does great stuff for the Ghibli movies.

Another standout is the superb score Susumu Hirasawa did for Satoshi Kon's 2001 movie Millennium Actress.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:34 am Reply with quote
In terms of general background music and the like:

Haibane Renmei- Kou Otani is a genius. The music in this series just fits it like a glove, bringing out the light elements and perfectly accenting all the drama. It's the only anime OST I've ever gone out and purchased (and this was after seeing a single episode- as soon as I heard "Blight" playing in episode 1 I knew I had to have it).

Mushishi- Another one that just suits the series well. You can recognize the soundtrack to this from a single note, almost. Truly iconic. I also love how the ED sequence has a different piece of music in every episode.

Spirited Away- I could have just put "anything Joe Hisaishi has ever worked on" here, but I think Spirited Away is probably his best soundtrack. The main theme seems to capture the spirit of the movie perfectly.

Toward The Terra- Epic. That is all you need to know.

In terms of OP and ED sequences:

OP

Shell- Witch Hunter Robin
Cruel Angel's Thesis- Evangelion
Falling Down- Eden of The East
Again- Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Hikari no Senritsu- Sora no Woto
Free Bird- Haibane Renmei
Inner Universe/ Rise- Stand Alone Complex

ED

A little pain- Nana
Too many to name- Mushishi
Blue Flow- Haibane Renmei
(VT-109)Lt.J.M.Penczek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:03 am Reply with quote
I have a massive favoritism for the Initial D collections in my car. Everyday im driving i have to play at least a few tracks. I wrapped my old silvia around a huge oak in the blue ridge area. Mountains have claimed 2 so far, each time i was listening to songs other than Initial D while attacking the roads. Everytime i hear Initial D i get pumped to hit the mountains, and loved the entire series!
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Yoko Kanno CD re Cowboy Bebop has been in my truck CD player now going on 5 years. I play the Bebop tracks every day. At 1 time 5 of the six CDs in that player were anime related but I like Pat Metheny and other jazz musicians too much to keep that many in my player for all time.

Others have posted excellent choices but I can't afford 'em all. I wish I could.
BrightxRingxFirefly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:36 am Reply with quote
For me, the two best are Revolutionary Girl Utena and Cowboy Bebop.

Utena's music is such a strange blend of operatic vocals and rock that fits perfectly with the atmosphere of the show. The lyrics to the songs are always symbolic and fit the themes of the characters and duels they accompany. The second ED is my favorite anime song.

Cowboy Bebop has an amazing OP, and the ED is very emotional and beautiful. The other music in the series is wonderful, too, and always fits the scene perfectly.
Innotech

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
Lately its been Sora no Woto with those incredible orchestrations, but I generally love orchestrated music in anime.

I also love pretty much any soundtrack Yuki Kajiura has been a part of, especially Elemental Gelade and Noir.

like the music in Satoshi Kon's films, such as Millenium Actress' opening theme and the music in Paprika and Paranoia Agent.

I am also a fan of KOTOKO and the shows in which her music appears, including Onegai teacher and Tweeny witches BLue Danube inspired ending theme "Dudiduwa lalala".

The music in Full Moon Wo Sagashite is great as far as RandB style pop music goes, and the song "Smile" is so catchy and upbeat.

I also really enjoyed the relaxed music in Haibane Renmei and Twelve Kingdoms and Story of Saiunkoku

Of course I didn't forget Yoko Kanno and everything she's been associated with either.

As far as catchy themes go, I have to give a nod to S.U.K.I. from Popotan (happiest song in the world), anata ga daikirai from Nurse witch Komugi, the opening to Maburaho, Imma made nando mo from Naruto, the ending theme to AIR, the legendary intro to Evangelion, and Sayonara Solitaire from Chrono Crusade
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:39 am Reply with quote
Being a classical music fan, my favourites are Lunar Legend Tsukihime and Someday's Dreamers. The Symphony SEED CD, featuring extended orchestral versions of music from Gundam Seed, is also a favourite (it's very influenced by the music from Starship Troopers, by Basil Polidouris). (The music from Destiny wasn't nearly as good.)

I'd also like to check out the OSTs for Planetes and Blue Gender someday. Also waiting for price of Boogiepop Phantom OST to come down.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I'll try and post a more or less comprehensive list later, but for the time being...

luffypirate85 wrote:
Every single track from Super Robot Wars OG Divine Wars. Never gets old.

Those are actually pretty catchy, yes. Can't really deny that.

The funny thing is I tend to prefer the renditions used in the games, including but not limited to the GBA versions, to the arrangements in the anime.

BrightxRingxFirefly wrote:

Utena's music is such a strange blend of operatic vocals and rock that fits perfectly with the atmosphere of the show. The lyrics to the songs are always symbolic and fit the themes of the characters and duels they accompany. The second ED is my favorite anime song.

Absolutely. I don't know if it's the best of them, but it's definitely worthy of a very high position among my top anime soundtracks.
Wrathful

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed all the music from Princess Tutu, especially for a guy who appreciates classical music from Romantic period, the anime was absolutely delightful.

Aside from that, I can't really think of music that memorable to me, even Cowboy Bebop (Flame me!). Maybe Azumanga Daioh and Pani Poni Dash would be exception. The music's just so infectious and happy, I can't help but smile.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:46 am Reply with quote
Yes, at the quirkier end of the scale, I like Azumanga Daioh, and the DearS soundtrack too (it has a cool 70s synth feel).

Last edited by eyeresist on Wed May 05, 2010 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:13 am Reply with quote
One Piece, by far.

I say this for the BGM than I do for the OPs/EDs (although they can be pretty good at times as well.). It's just that the BGM is some of the best, if not the very best (IMO) I've heard from anything.

I'll totally be buying the BGM when I get the money!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 15