• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: YouTube Rents More Anime Network, Funimation Videos

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Seems like for the funimation videos, you can watch the subbed versions for free....which is funny since they're better 99% of the time anyway.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Funny that all of the free episodes have thousands of views, and the rentable ones have like 2 or 3 (Heroic Age).

Although, something like Burn Up!, a single episode OVA at 43 minutes, being the same price as a normal 21 minute episode (OP, ED, preview cut) makes more sense given the same price. But it still only has few views as well compared to any given free episode. I think this rental market might have been deployed far too late in the fandom's development. Even at such low prices, the ordeal of having to enter in credit card info or connect to PayPal is enough to drive people away.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:26 pm Reply with quote
99 cents isn't unreasonable, but that's still around twice as much per episode as renting a DVD. Still, I hope this works out for everyone.
sdhd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:30 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Under the service, the five newest episodes of certain television series would be made available for free, but for users to watch previous episodes, they must subscribe to a service called Hulu Plus that will cost US$9.95 per month.

Interesting concept. I wouldn't subscribe if that is all they are offering on the table. Wonder if the episode will be free of commercials.

Glass Mask would probably do better if it is on Hulu also to attract potential customers.

Takeyo wrote:
99 cents isn't unreasonable, but that's still around twice as much per episode as renting a DVD. Still, I hope this works out for everyone.

The fee was higher before for the rental. So the companies must have dropped the prices down. If I have a choice I would download from iTunes for $1.99 to own it instead of renting it.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
Quote:
Under the service, the five newest episodes of certain television series would be made available for free, but for users to watch previous episodes, they must subscribe to a service called Hulu Plus that will cost US$9.95 per month.

Interesting concept. I wouldn't subscribe if that is all they are offering on the table. Wonder if the episode will be free of commercials.

Glass Mask would probably do better if it is on Hulu also to attract potential customers.

Takeyo wrote:

The fee was higher before for the rental. So the companies must have dropped the prices down. If I have a choice I would download from iTunes for $1.99 to own it instead of renting it.

As far as I can tell that's the only bonus for hulu plus. Also, I heard there's still commercials. People all the around the net are bashing hulu for this movie. Especially since they're making millions in profit from advertisements alone and don't NEED to do this.
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:11 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
Seems like for the funimation videos, you can watch the subbed versions for free....which is funny since they're better 99% of the time anyway.

What do you mean better, as in quality of video or are you just saying subs are better then dubs because you know how fast that kind of argument goes south.

Anyways, good to see they are doing something with the shows that aren't selling anymore. Hence the low veiws on Heroic Age, which I think sold well as DVD and how they are just getting extra cash off of it.

I for one prefer dubs to a show then subs if possible, but if it's subbed only there isn't much I can do. However, my wait was well worth it with Clannad and that now it's comming out in dub. I never watched it in sub because I know it would eventually get released in dub. Smile
PBsallad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The Los Angeles Times newspaper's blog reports that the American video website Hulu plans to test a subscription service as soon as May 24. Under the service, the five newest episodes of certain television series would be made available for free, but for users to watch previous episodes, they must subscribe to a service called Hulu Plus that will cost US$9.95 per month.

Interesting.

I hope FUNimation will offer some shows under that plan. Especially their dubbed episodes, most of them have a expiration date. Or even shows that have been completely taken off. Like the first and 2nd season of Slayers.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:23 am Reply with quote
The problem I can see with this idea is that they're assuming that all series are going to perform the same. But with the amount of anime already out there it's possible for a fan to pick and choose what to watch and what not to watch. (Not to mention the hundreds of fansubbed series that can be found.)

As such, there's going to be a lot of series people won't even check out. While people may be willing to pay for a show like Naruto or Bleach, a generic moe or mecha show is likely to get completely passed over. Other new titles may also be skipped if people feel they would rather wait. And we've seen in the past the people generally prefer to wait for DVDs rather than pay for a streaming series. During that waiting they could loose interest altogether.

If a pay streaming system could work, then why aren't we seeing (more) PPV anime on TV?
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote
^ well a paid subscription service for unlimited access is very different from pay-per-view (aka viewing rentals)
sdhd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:40 am Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
As far as I can tell that's the only bonus for hulu plus. Also, I heard there's still commercials. People all the around the net are bashing hulu for this movie. Especially since they're making millions in profit from advertisements alone and don't NEED to do this.

humm...Hulu is a business and the goal is to bring in revenue. Never was very interested in Hulu. On another note, Funimation have like 5-6 commercials for one episode. The commercials wouldn't be so bad if each commercial were different. It gets annoying after a while so I only watch the anime that I am really into so the ads isn't a big annoyance.

I would rather a site increase the subscription fees for no commercials. A site would probably make more in profits from commercials, but it is good to charge people a monthly fee because the revenue is consistent coming in.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I had to go delving to actually find the rentals (FUNimation's show up in the show listings). I'm amused that I can watch Darker than Black subbed for free, but I can't pay for the rental dub since it is "currently unavailable in your country".

I still can't understand why House of leaves is not just saying that it isn't available in my country but just plain "This video is not available." - when it clearly is since others have been watching it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
maribeasteva2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Its nice to see that this is aleast helping the anime industy Smile
Hopefully it will do better in time!
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
I had to go delving to actually find the rentals (FUNimation's show up in the show listings). I'm amused that I can watch Darker than Black subbed for free, but I can't pay for the rental dub since it is "currently unavailable in your country".

I still can't understand why House of leaves is not just saying that it isn't available in my country but just plain "This video is not available." - when it clearly is since others have been watching it.

have you tired to watch it at youtube or at the funi web site?
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:31 am Reply with quote
I can't access the FUNimation video site at all so this is on Youtube where I can watch some FUNimation titles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1