• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Into the Abyss

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
From here on out, I'm declaring the Thanatos Rule: Anything anime involving Thanatos is probably kind of crappy.

I haven't seen the portion of the story animated, but the Saint Seiya Thanatos doll I paid $110 for is pretty awesome. And Thanatos worked as well as any of the Hades Spectres did in the Saint Seiya manga.
And condsidering the number of Shojo manga-ka I've seen ref Saint Seiya, I don't doubt a bunch of gals putting together a game aimed at females dating back to what-about 1992 or so?-would have some Seiya influence. Neo is simply an update on a really old harem title down to hiring VA's who are regulars in gal titles (Did you notice JD's refs to other artifacts/ancient technology machines as his siblings? Remind you a bit of Trigun? How about using Masaya Onosaka who played Vash the Stampede to play JD?)

Yeah, I cringe at Japanese messing with our mythology, but can you say we get theirs any better? How funky martial arts ideas have we mangled? At least they're supposed to be a land of many gods so of course ours are fair game. There aren't too many Japanese takes on vampires I feel do our folklore justice, but look at what we do with it ourselves. No, I don't like Rice's stuff. Never touched Twilight.

I probably dislike the Sgt Frog English dub for the reasons everyone loves it, but it really doesn't matter so long as Funi's getting my money so I can hear the Japanese track. Yeah, you are shorting the Japanese cast. They pulled in some pretty big names for this one for the regular cast & not just the recurring (pop up every few eps) roles. Kumiko Watanabe (Keroro) has been around since Sailor Moon & Ronin Warriors. Etsuko Kozakura (Tamama) was(is? Are we ever going to see an end to this title?) Ryo-Ohki in Tenchi. Jouji Nakata (Giroro) is probably best known to American audiences as Alucard/Hellsing & Folken/Escaflowne. Takeshi Kusao (Dororo) is too many shonen characters to even begin to count, with the best known probably a certain lavender-haired half-Saiyan, though his gal title roles run a bit more unbalanced (Krad/DNAngel, Saonji/Utena). Koyasu (Kururu) has topped this site's most prolific VA for at least 3 yrs. They didn't skimp. Even the main character humans have been around awhile. This isn't a couple name actors & a bunch of newbs cast. Even the support & guests run to familiar VA's (556 is Hiyama-Hiei & Mr 3. Saburo is Ishida-Gara of the Desert & Xellos. Even a small character like Gail, the Salesman alien is someone I know well-Nobuo Tobita-Akabane/Getbackers & one of the older Angelique title's harem) It is consistantly impressive to listen to this title in Japanese. The amount of English words in each ep seems a tad higher than the usual anime. I really noticed it in Season 2 Set 2 & often it seems to be words I know damned well have Japanese terms for, yet they go for the English word (Teaching kids English? Nod to the older Otaku audience?)
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
There is some nonsense in the show about Thanatos. Remember which other crappy show had Thanatos? Dragonaut. From here on out, I'm declaring the Thanatos Rule: Anything anime involving Thanatos is probably kind of crappy.

At least there wasn't a Thirty Thanatos Pileup.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:22 pm Reply with quote
Hey now, Thanatos was in Secret of Mana, and that game ruled (though yes, he was a shallow villain with little to no screentime). Plus Thanatos is a god of death, so be respectful...or he'll carve out your soul Smile

That aside, I have to agree. Why the heck doesn't Sgt. Frog air on TV already here? The kind of witty humor they use is something we can appreciate. Making comments about eBay and Twitter, and every form of Internet fail...I mean culture (hehe, no) would bring in the viewers. Shin-chan was pretty much "South Parkified" much like Super Milk Chan was and we got a gas out of it.

Last edited by belvadeer on Sat May 08, 2010 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
FaytLein

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
DO NOT watch Odin: Stalight Mutiny. Unless you like schooners in space, bad 80s metal songs and a C- plot about Norse robots attacking said schooner in space, AVOID AT ALL costs!
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
And I loved Neo Angelique Abyss if only because Angelique herself had such a gorgeous character design. I mean, damn.

Yes, she has four bows. Two over each ear. (I didn't like her design that much.)

Mohawk52 wrote:
If you're paying $6 for a bier from Bruge, you're being ripped.

I live in New York City, where most beer cost $6 (at a bar). In my neighborhood they have this deal, $6 for a Pabst Blue Ribbon and a shot. That is GROSS. You know it's a shot of Jack, too, which is nasty. I might drink that if the bar paid me $6.

I will keep a look out for Innis and Gunn! (It's available in NYC!)

CCSYueh wrote:
I haven't seen the portion of the story animated, but the Saint Seiya Thanatos doll I paid $110 for is pretty awesome. And Thanatos worked as well as any of the Hades Spectres did in the Saint Seiya manga.

Alright, I've only seen the first season of Saint Seiya.... Maybe anything post-Seiya with Thanatos sucks.

CCSYueh wrote:
Yeah, I cringe at Japanese messing with our mythology, but can you say we get theirs any better?

I tend to like the mythology mangling. I wasn't scoffing at the use of Thanatos so much as the coincidental use of Thanatos in somewhat crappy shows.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I think you where a bit to hard on kenichi, I will admit the earlier volumes are stronger, and that the stuff like in the second to last episode does not happen enough in that collection. however if you have watched the first season there is a lot of pay off in the collection. also quite a few of the fights are really good. also I have to question how you think the borderline offensive misrepresentation that funi did for kenichi was by any means good.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:13 pm Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
neocloud9 wrote:
And I loved Neo Angelique Abyss if only because Angelique herself had such a gorgeous character design. I mean, damn.

Yes, she has four bows. Two over each ear. (I didn't like her design that much.)

Really? I thought she had a beautiful face...

Definitely a bit of an ani-crush on my part! Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:40 pm Reply with quote
I liked that thing about Thanatos because when I saw it, I was like "Wasn't that in that crappy Dragonaut show...Ooooh, she mentioned it!"

Quote:
J.D. was found in the Forest of Rainbow Flowers by the Dragon People.

Read it twice. I'm still just Confused Confused

Last edited by garfield15 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
In case you were wondering if there is a formal ball scene in this show, rest assured there totally is. We had to see the characters in formal wear, in some kind of female equivalent of a beach episode (dudes in tuxes! I'm not immune…).

I learned a whole lot about girls this week, thanks to this column!

Quote:
I had to explain lolcats to my parents.

Put that on a T-shirt.

FaytLein wrote:
DO NOT watch Odin: Stalight Mutiny. Unless you like schooners in space, bad 80s metal songs and a C- plot about Norse robots attacking said schooner in space, AVOID AT ALL costs!

Actually, you make that sound kind of awesome...
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:01 pm Reply with quote
TheTheory wrote:
I am always a bit confused when I see someone who puts their artboxes flipped on the self, so all you see is the spine of the DVDs. The only reason I can think of for doing so would be easier access to the DVDs... except I can't imaging that it would save any time. You might as well just store the artboxes and simply keep the DVDs on your self.

On my ever-growing shelves I have the dvds facing forward if I haven't watched or completed a series. I turn them around once I've finished it Smile
Youkai Warrior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yeah, I cringe at Japanese messing with our mythology, but can you say we get theirs any better? How funky martial arts ideas have we mangled? At least they're supposed to be a land of many gods so of course ours are fair game. There aren't too many Japanese takes on vampires I feel do our folklore justice, but look at what we do with it ourselves. No, I don't like Rice's stuff. Never touched Twilight.

So do I! I hate it when there's Japanese meddling in European/western folklore. I'm sorry, but they never do it right. But then, when it comes to Asian mythology, we don't do it right either. That is true, and I agree with you. And even we can ruin our own folklore. I can't tell you how many times vampires have been abused in fiction (I'm on the verge of starting a vampire version of Hermione's S.P.E.W. in Harry Potter. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop You're not missing anything in Twilight, in fact I believe Twilight sent vampires straight to hell.

This is why I avoid anime with vampires in them because I don't need to see the abuse. Vampires are the victims now! Anime dazed Anime hyper Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
sirkoala13

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:00 pm Reply with quote
You read my thoughts exactly, Erin. Sgt. Frog should totally be on [as]
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Youkai Warrior wrote:
Quote:

So do I! I hate it when there's Japanese meddling in European/western folklore. I'm sorry, but they never do it right. But then, when it comes to Asian mythology, we don't do it right either. That is true, and I agree with you. And even we can ruin our own folklore. I can't tell you how many times vampires have been abused in fiction (I'm on the verge of starting a vampire version of Hermione's S.P.E.W. in Harry Potter. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop You're not missing anything in Twilight, in fact I believe Twilight sent vampires straight to hell.

You people need to get to a bookstore and read Cirque du Freak.

Youkai Warrior wrote:

This is why I avoid anime with vampires in them because I don't need to see the abuse. Vampires are the victims now! Anime dazed Anime hyper Anime catgrin + sweatdrop

Personally, I adored Karin/Chibi Vampire but to each his own.

I also think Dance in the Vampire Bund (the manga) is really awesome.
Seljuk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:36 pm Reply with quote
That shelf owner has awesome taste. (Also read: my tastes)

Black Lagoon, Yubisaki Milk Tea, Berserk (oh god a row of its own, amazing), MPD Psycho, Gantz, Future Diary, Hayate, GTO, Hellsing, I"s, Cardcaptor Sakura, xxxHolic, Claymore....and that stray box of Clarinex :p.

My shelves aspire to be like yours, though I still have 3 years by your timeline. Phew.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:37 pm Reply with quote
sirkoala13 wrote:
You read my thoughts exactly, Erin. Sgt. Frog should totally be on [as]

I wonder if it's too expensive for them.... Hmmm...

garfield15 wrote:
Quote:
J.D. was found in the Forest of Rainbow Flowers by the Dragon People.

Read it twice. I'm still just Confused Confused

I was more like Shocked Shocked

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I think you where a bit to hard on kenichi, I will admit the earlier volumes are stronger, and that the stuff like in the second to last episode does not happen enough in that collection.

You're probably right. But from what I've seen of it, KenIchi is the kind of show I wouldn't mind watching, but I would expend absolutely no effort to watch it. For example, if I went to an anime club that watched it at meetings (among other titles) I would watch it. If a family member was watching it on TV I would watch it. If it came on after South Park I would not change the channel. Does that make sense?

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
also I have to question how you think the borderline offensive misrepresentation that funi did for kenichi was by any means good.

Given the premise and the boobs I wasn't interested in the show. Funimation's trailer made it seem like a show I wouldn't turn down watching. They moved it up a notch in my estimation. Also I don't think they misrepresented the show.

neocloud9 wrote:

Alright, her face is really pretty. But her outfit lacks an iconic graphic design element. For example, I think Sakura's outfits in Naruto are really great from an animation and design standpoint.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4