• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
50 Anime Movies You Must See.

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheLargoEmbargo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:52 am Reply with quote
A while back, we put together a gallery of the top 50 Traditional Animations.

The guys on this forum clicked through so much, we noticed it and took a look at what you were saying.

Unsurprisingly, there was a lot of debate! Some of the comments were nice to read, many weren't. In response to a lot of the things that were said, we went about making a gallery on the best anime movies of all time.

So, if you will, please take a look at our latest feature!

http://movies.sky.com/50-anime-you-must-see

[EDIT: Adjusted thread title to be more reflective of what's actually being talked about. - Key]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure your picture for Windaria is actually from Wings of Honneamise.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:36 am Reply with quote
Cue the litany of "How could you not include ... !"
PaniPoni61

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
Amen to that HaruhiToy. Objective? Personal preference?

Lists of any type of "best", "must see", and the like seem to be the basis for starting flamewars and statements that begin with what Haruhi said. Anytime a question starts with "How could you", it is just begging for an e-battle of "well, my".....

Something i think i'll pass on. Battles of taste are wars i already know i'm gonna lose.
12skippy21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
This is a pretty comprehensive list and indicates a lot of movies I should see. I have not watched too many anime movies but the dozen or so I have seen are all in there.

However, maybe you should change the title to '50 Anime Movies You Must See' I did go in thinking the article was about television series.

The only two movies which I have seen and perhaps should be included in the 'random' section are Dead Leaves and Mind Game. Put I do not think their inclusion would add much to the article.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
First of all, if you're going to recommend films don't recommend franchise films that people would have to watch the television series for beforehand. It's just not a very nice thing to do to someone. A lot of them build on previously established characters and storylines which might confuse a new viewer. It's like throwing a novice swimmer in the deep end of a pool.

Secondly, I'll just say that I would vehemently object to ever recommending at least 5 of those titles to anyone, but the majority of them were good examples.

Last edited by Kruszer on Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Not a single example of super robot, fighting, sports, magical girl, or slice-of-life series.Oh the shame.....
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
First of all, if you're going to recommend films don't recommend franchise films that people would have to watch the television series for beforehand. It's just not a very nice thing to do to someone. A lot of them build on previously established characters and storylines which might confuse a new viewer. It's like throwing a novice swimmer in the deep end of a pool.

Secondly, I'll just say that I would vehemently object to ever recommending at least 5 of those titles to anyone, but the majority of them were good examples.

Even more of them are retellings or spinoffs that don't require previous knowledge. The Evangelion movies were the only ones that required knowledge of the source material

I think it's a great list of anime movies and one-offs. It's so easy to automatically associate "favorite/best/greatest/whatever" anime with series instead of movies and OVAs. Almost all of those are better than any traditional series.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
IncompetentOverlord wrote:
Wow. Not a single example of super robot, fighting, sports, magical girl, or slice-of-life series.Oh the shame.....

Of course not, since it was a list of anime MOVIES.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:51 pm Reply with quote
I, for one, will not be clicking through 56 pages so you can get lots of ad hits. Give me a page with a single, consolidated list, and I'll be happy to look at that. (Did I miss that page? If so, sorry; just point me to it.)
Key

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Actually, a pretty good list. The only glaring omission I see is Escaflowne: The Movie, which doesn't get enough credit for how beautifully-made it is because people get so hung up on how much they don't like the way it reimagined the TV series. It's a great work of fantasy as a stand-alone effort and it doesn't require any familiarity with the original series.

Less glaring, but still worthy of consideration, are Spriggan (another exceptionally well-made movie), Armitage III: Polymatrix (not as strong on technical merits but still well-written), and Wicked City (well-made and set a standard for explicit, hyperviolent content later refined by Ninja Scroll).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:59 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken is correct, the picture used for Windaria is, indeed, from Wings of Honnemaise.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Someone needs to update the thread's title to "50 Anime You Must See But Only 15 Can Be Bought".

Nice list. Seen some of them. One of these days, I'll wrap myself around a few of those Disney features.
Xagor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as the list seemed to extend to OVAs (for example ROD), there are a few OVAs I could think of that probably should have been there, but there's probably really not an awful lot missing.
TheTheory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I've seen 31 of those. No real qualms with any of them making the list... the few I didn't really like are definitely renowned enough within the anime community to make them worthy, even if I didn't enjoy them (Akira comes to mind).

I feel like a few of those titles never got an R1 release...? While I won't complain about their inclusion, it is a curious decision none the less.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3