• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New U.S. Comic Magazine F*X*T Planned for January

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The_Q

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:37 am Reply with quote
I wonder how long this will last...
classicjelly

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:52 am Reply with quote
The_Q wrote:

While that statement may be true,I for one actually support this magazine.Its actually a good thing to see some works that other non-japanese are capable of doing.This is the freshest cake bait possible for artist who want to publish something first in america and see if it would rise in popularity.But for this to work,they are going to have to dish out some kind of promotion,or people wont pick it up at all.

This isnt 15 years ago,where asian art and story telling was best developed in Japan.I'm really starting to see more and more talented Korean and American artist making storys and art that par or even excel better than what Japanese are doing as of now.Which is why a coupple of Japanese companys are slowly opening the doors to these other professionals.(Its just a matter of time).
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:27 am Reply with quote
I like the sound of it, and look forward to subscribing. I already subscribe to stuff like Heavy Metal, and this will be nothing for me to add to my monthly comic budget. Yay for a seasonal periodical to showcase new, indie talent.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:45 am Reply with quote
Glad to see this on ANN's frontpage, heard about it a little while ago. Between this and Bento Comics, it's nice to see domestic manga artists getting new ways to get their artwork out there.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:11 am Reply with quote
It's very cool that she's been able to raise such money from ordinary folks who want to see this take off
LeanGreen

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:29 am Reply with quote
Yeah, good luck with that. As much as I am happy about new magazines such as this, I am finding it awfully difficult to be positive about it what with all the trouble these magazines are having as of late.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
Definitely a cool idea, but like others, I'm skeptical about its viability. Starting a print magazine these days seems a little like opening a horse-buggy factory.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 10:09 am Reply with quote
Well, it's different from other mags in that it's a quarterly mag. It gets material from independent / external contributors, so there are much less salaries + benefits to pay. More focused, niche area. If the quality remains high I think they can survive.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:02 am Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Well, it's different from other mags in that it's a quarterly mag. It gets material from independent / external contributors, so there are much less salaries + benefits to pay. More focused, niche area. If the quality remains high I think they can survive.

Exactly. And though you'll probably not see it in your supermarket/walmart any time soon, comic book shops are likely to subscribe, as well as art schools and any other people in the comic industry. As long as they keep their ambition small they should do fine with subscribers. That's not even addressing how having mostly black and white comics will save them in comparison to other comic magazines like Heavy Metal with full color. Heck, if they really wanted to save money they can go as far as to use cheap newsprint like they do in Japan.

The more magazines we get like this showcasing unknown talent, the better for the comic industry here. Whether it will last or not is in question, but for now it's a cause for cheer among comic fans, especially now that Tokyopop is out of the OEL niche.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:06 am Reply with quote
One year from now, there will be a story of this magazine closing. Maybe sooner.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 11:38 am Reply with quote
Kurozora wrote:
While that statement may be true,I for one actually support this magazine.Its actually a good thing to see some works that other non-japanese are capable of doing.This is the freshest cake bait possible for artist who want to publish something first in america and see if it would rise in popularity.But for this to work,they are going to have to dish out some kind of promotion,or people wont pick it up at all.

This isnt 15 years ago,where asian art and story telling was best developed in Japan.I'm really starting to see more and more talented Korean and American artist making storys and art that par or even excel better than what Japanese are doing as of now.Which is why a coupple of Japanese companys are slowly opening the doors to these other professionals.(Its just a matter of time).

My sentiments exactly.

As much as I still find Japanese artists and mangaka whose artistic talents I admire, there's definitely been an upturn in regards to other country's artists becoming new rising stars in the community. Anime hyper

Hopefully this 'zine will be the one that stays afloat and, with a little luck, even finds its audience.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:14 pm Reply with quote
I think this could be a great magazine. I've always thought that manga inspired comics could be done well if it were made by actual good comic artists. I have yet to see any really good American made manga comics but I'm optimistic about what we might see coming out of the wood work soon. I think a serialized magazine devoted to this genre could give the industry the spark it needs to get some good works out there. If carried out properly I think this could really take off.

Even though I am looking forward to checking this out I have to agree that this is risky for the people involved. Recent times have shown us that these types of manga or comic related magazines haven't been lasting to long. But I think that's mainly due to poor planing. If these guys are able to get some real creative and quality stuff out there I think fans of both manga and comics will latch onto it and keep this experiment alive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
slickwataris

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
I will support this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I will definitely check this publication out.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 1:29 pm Reply with quote
The_Q wrote:

I give this magazine six months to one year. Just look at all the other anime magazines.

Unfortunately, the magazine is slowly being replaced with Internet articles or video pod casts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2