• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sound Decision - T.M.R at Spider-Man 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
I never said L'arc was a lesser act

Bands like Duel Jewel and Blood certainly are.

Look may be PART of the act, but if it's the WHOLE act, that's where it's the problem. Do you really think Brittany Spears or Justin would be popular if they didn't shake their booty?

Gackt for example, he's mediocre at best live, his music is pedestrian. Dir en Grey is HORRIBLE live, and most of the posts I've seen by people who want to see either one in some way involve them wanting to drool over them, or see them kiss other guys (no, I'm not a homophobe, far far from it), or grope them.

I am extremely familiar with the process it takes to get a band to play here. My point, before people flew off the handle, is that you shouldn't be wasting the immense effort on a mediocre act who looks pretty when you can get one that rocks the house. More and more I see people lusting over the physical body instead of the talent contained within.

Elvis managed to stay popular not because he was pretty, but because the boy had major talent.

Quote:
We already know he just likes to chide people who don't like things for the same reasons he does--or worse, things he doesn't like at all.

Hardly. It's having a "preference" for a form of entertainment because it's easier, lazier, or simply hormonally driven. I may think that a singer is hot, but if they have no chops they're not going to hold my interest whatsoever. Whether or not I like someone's music has no bearing in this kind of judgement. I don't like the Beastie Boys, but I have immense respect for their musical talent, and the complexity and care they put into their albums. Good example-

X Japan- Listen to the composition, the care they take in arpeggio, the structure of the songs.

Luna Sea- Wrote 3 songs and relied on costuming and staging to take them through.
Mr Mania

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:46 am Reply with quote
Quote:
There's guys who lust over Britney because they think she's hot, etc, etc. I'm sure it's not just a fangirl phenomenon.

True but the difference is the majority of guys wont buy an album because they think a singer is hot. How many guys do you know with a Britney album.

Quote:
The look is part of the act

Again true, the look is definitely part of the act and image has always been part of music (well at least 20th/21st century music). Never the less although image does add to ones act its not key to the act, without substance an act is nothing. Take for example David Bowie. The guy had tons of image to the extent that he created different persona's but at the same time he's an incredible singer/songwriter and has a great understanding of music. Or look at KISS, they were drowned in makeup and glitter but underneath it all there was a very good band.

Last edited by Mr Mania on Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hotaru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
I
Elvis managed to stay popular not because he was pretty, but because the boy had major talent.

also, as i learned in media....he could sing like a black guy, but was white, so people were "allowed" to listen to and like him.

pardon the bluntness btw.

i'm sure no one knew who he was, but does that really matter? i don't think i'd like it if jpop/rock became mainstream. we're fans because we put the effort to get their music from japan, not just cause we can run to best buy or something.

my friend saw gackt on hey!x3 yesterday, i told her he was a guy, she said "no, that's a woman". heee.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2