• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga: The Rose of Versailles

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:29 pm Reply with quote
BEST SERIES TO OPEN THIS COLUMN WITH EVER.

I own the anime, and desperately want to get the manga- might resort to stalking down the french edition if there isn't an english edition anytime soon.

http://imavision.com/fr/eStore,wciCatalogue,type-C,ID-698.html You can get the anime on R1 dvd, but only in french/unsubbed japanese, but it's totally worth it (now back to reading the column!!!)
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Great first column, Jason! To this day, the only bits of the Rose of Versailles manga I've ever read remain what few pages were translated in Manga! Manga!, and while it's a shame that neither official nor fan made English translations exist for it, at least the anime is readily available with English subtitles. (Just not officially.)

There's truly something to be said about 1970s shojo that just isn't present in the modern-day stuff. I think that element is "melodrama." Certainly, current-era shojo can lay on the drama pretty thick--oh hey there, Nana!--but I want insanity. I want craziness. I demand multiple instances of scenes shattering apart like glass upon shock of not being spoken to as characters run down endless stairs, tears streaming, as flower petals fall in the background. In short, I want my girl's manga so freaking girly that they go all the way around to manly, and no one icon better encapsulates that sentiment than Oscar Francois du Jarjeyes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Paploo

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
Great first column, Jason! To this day, the only bits of the Rose of Versailles manga I've ever read remain what few pages were translated in Manga! Manga!, and while it's a shame that neither official nor fan made English translations exist for it, at least the anime is readily available with English subtitles. (Just not officially.)

There's truly something to be said about 1970s shojo that just isn't present in the modern-day stuff. I think that element is "melodrama." Certainly, current-era shojo can lay on the drama pretty thick--oh hey there, Nana!--but I want insanity. I want craziness. I demand multiple instances of scenes shattering apart like glass upon shock of not being spoken to as characters run down endless stairs, tears streaming, as flower petals fall in the background. In short, I want my girl's manga so freaking girly that they go all the way around to manly, and no one icon better encapsulates that sentiment than Oscar Francois du Jarjeyes.

I have to say the french dub is pretty good for those looking for a dvd, and it's not overly expensive either [I got the sets for 40 each- too bad there's no subs though, but still nice to have since I'm bilingual].

Anyhoo, it is indeed a very manly franchise- Oscar and Co. take all the slapping and smacking and fistfights of a shonen epic like Gundam, but do so with very little in the way of characters whining- instead of whining, they do insane things like attempted murder, jumping off buildings, have affairs and manipulate behind the scenes while cackling. They just sort of take it until they go outright insane.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic first column, Jason, and I look forward to reading more. The fact that Rose of Versailles hasn't been made available in English yet is pretty disheartening, but I don't think that the length alone should prohibit it from coming out here. In the grand scheme of things, 1800 pages isn't that much, and I could certainly see someone like, say, Vertical releasing it in a larger format than the standard 180-200 page tankobon size...if it was formatted similarly to their release of To Terra..., you could fit the entire series in 6 volumes instead of 10, and probably have a lot easier of a time selling it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ian K

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Is the smeared eyeshadow in the logo supposed to look like a barcode? Because that would be awesome.

The Rose of Versailles is one of those girly stories I never thought I'd be interested in until recently. One of these days I really need to give some of this classic shoujo stuff a shot (the only one I recall checking out is the anime adaptation of Jyu Oh Sei, and that sucked).

-
Speaking of Svetlana Chmakova, I recall being impressed by the story she contributed to Flight 5. Maybe I should check out her other stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah, nice column. I guess it was so good I just forgot it was your first, or something.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:01 pm Reply with quote
So another column on manga? Hurrah! A bit disappointing to see it going with a well known classic (at least to people who regularly read manga) as a "safe" opening manga, but hey, maybe we'll get something a bit more debatable eventually. Looking forward to future posts, and I'll support anything on this site that'll bring up more shoujo titles.

Paploo wrote:
I own the anime, and desperately want to get the manga- might resort to stalking down the french edition if there isn't an english edition anytime soon.

Last I heard the French edition is out of print, and I would have been more than happy to freshen my up French with it. I've look for it as far as the French amazon and such, but haven't found any luck with it. If you find it Paploo... link me. Please? Pretty please? Crying or Very sad

I really wish a certain scanlation group would get off the shoujo-ai addiction and just get back to Oscar already.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:10 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

I really wish a certain scanlation group would get off the shoujo-ai addiction and just get back to Oscar already.

If you're thinking of the group I'm thinking of, then you do realize the whole basis of that group is yuri, right? Surprised
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:21 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

If you're thinking of the group I'm thinking of, then you do realize the whole basis of that group is yuri, right? Surprised

Hence the shoujo-ai comment. I appreciate them doing the project and all, but they take For-ev-er! I just want Lady Oscar! I can only read so much Japanese, not enough to make sense of foreign French words and phrases on my own. If only an North American company would come along and put this poor little manga fan out of her misery. I'd devote my business to them for life.

I will just continue to be amazed of the fact that there is an Arabic dub of Rose of Versailles, yet no English release, sub or dub, exists. WTF is wrong with the English speaking world?!
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 5:45 pm Reply with quote
I had always heard of Rose of Versailles, and from what I heard, I missed out on something really great. I'm always a sucker for those period pieces, and the social commentary is always good in my book. Hopefully the second installment will have something I can actually get my hands on.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:41 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I appreciate them doing the project and all, but they take For-ev-er! I just want Lady Oscar! I can only read so much Japanese, not enough to make sense of foreign French words and phrases on my own. If only an North American company would come along and put this poor little manga fan out of her misery. I'd devote my business to them for life.

Yes, with them it's not Tanemura Arina, it's lousy Yuri-Hime one shots. I wish they'd quit being so fast about translating the crud and focus on some of their older and/or better series. Maybe it has something to do with getting decent volumes to scan? I don't know. Obviously I'd prefer an official release (hate hate HATE reading on my computer for any length of time), but in the meanwhile, I guess I'll take scanlations at whatever pace rather than, you know, wish Ikeda Riyoko would die and her estate would be less stingy.

Anyway, neat new column! I look forward to more.
BunnyCupCakes

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 6:45 pm Reply with quote
FaytLein wrote:
I had always heard of Rose of Versailles, and from what I heard, I missed out on something really great.

Same here.
I feel so out of the loop Anime cry

I'm a shoujo junkie at heart but I never got the chance to check out this special gem. Then again, I did come in late in discovering Revolutionary Girl Utena, as shameful as that is.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
I loved this, it was a fun and engaging read in general. I also really enjoy reading about older and/or obscure titles like this; I only became aware of the anime series' existence a little while ago.

70's shojo in general broke a lot of ground for the genre at the time, no? For those in the know, what other titles from the time possibly stand alongside this one, if any?

Call be optimistic, but I could see this getting picked up--eventually. I'd like to think that at the least, it's a strong enough title for a publisher to attempt when the economic cycle inevitably comes around and there's another "boom" to one degree or another. If Ikeda is the obstacle though...yeah, it's a long wait. I can see how fans can get very motivated to seriously learn a second language. I've been feeling the temptation more and more myself over the last year or so in particular.

Last edited by GWOtaku on Thu May 06, 2010 7:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Chinatsu

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:20 pm Reply with quote
wait wait! so when you mean it's been translated all over the world. Does that mean there may be a Spanish version out there? Cause if there is I'm going to track it down >Very Happy
mirichan

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:26 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Last I heard the French edition is out of print, and I would have been more than happy to freshen my up French with it. I've look for it as far as the French amazon and such, but haven't found any luck with it. If you find it Paploo... link me. Please? Pretty please? Crying or Very sad

Sorry I'm not Paploo... but for your information, La Rose de Versailles is still available in French...

http://www.renaud-bray.com/Recherche.aspx?langue=fr&words=la+rose+de+versaille&wbgc_iNo=&type=1&root=

or try Amazon.fr at http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_21?__mk_fr_FR=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=la+rose+de+versailles&x=0&y=0&sprefix=la+rose+de+versailles

I've often seen them... maybe one day I'll get to them (and yes, it's the whole series... tomes one and two are like 900+ pages each).

P.-S. Sorry, it's been a while since I posted anywhere. I forgot how to make the http links nicer.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 7:37 pm Reply with quote
mirichan wrote:
littlegreenwolf wrote:

Sorry I'm not Paploo... but for your information, La Rose de Versailles is still available in French...

http://www.renaud-bray.com/Recherche.aspx?langue=fr&words=la+rose+de+versaille&wbgc_iNo=&type=1&root=

or try Amazon.fr at http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_21?__mk_fr_FR=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=la+rose+de+versailles&x=0&y=0&sprefix=la+rose+de+versailles

I've often seen them... maybe one day I'll get to them (and yes, it's the whole series... tomes one and two are like 900+ pages each).

P.-S. Sorry, it's been a while since I posted anywhere. I forgot how to make the http links nicer.

Hello mirichan. I think I love you. Embarassed

I've seen those editions on the net, but always thought "Wtf, aren't there 10? where's the other 5." That explains a lot of things if it's double. Now off I go to see if I can get Amazon.fr to ship to me for cheap, or if I'm lucky, go looking for it on Canada's Amazon.

Edit: YES! CANADA HAS IT!

Now to figure out which is cheaper.

Last edited by littlegreenwolf on Thu May 06, 2010 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5