• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Guin Saga Fantasy TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
keikanna44

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I loved Guin Saga. I like the leopard headed man idea because it's different. The story was okay but I think it might be better if they dub the show. It might be less confusing if I didn't have to sit there and read everything. Anyway this show definitely didn't get enough credit last year so thank you Sentai for picking this up. I'll surely buy it in the future. Wink
JohnathanEnder

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I hope that this give Vertical a little bit more incentive to release more of the books.

Years ago they said that Guin Saga was difficult to market because it didn't have an anime equivalent. Well...surprise. Anime smile
fistofthemfk

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:27 pm Reply with quote
I just finished watching this show. It was a very enjoyable series. I look forward to buying this on Blu-Ray.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:34 pm Reply with quote
kel aka gandy wrote:
I keep meaning to pick up the novels from Vertical. It's too bad that the author passed away before finishing the series. :[ But I'm glad Sentai picked it up the anime and will be releasing it as well. :]

In other news, did anyone else notice that Viz put this at the bottom of their Shojo Beat newsletter about the Vampire Knight anime being up on Viz Anime? I knew they had the manga, but had they announced the anime?

I know this is off-topic in the Sentai Guin Saga thread, but Viz Anime is the streaming site for Viz right? I'm going to be so happy if they end up with the Cross Game anime (as well as the manga).
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Cool. This is on my list of stuff to see.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
The Guin Saga anime isn't as good as it could have been. The novels are too rich and detailed for 16 of them to be turned into 26 episodes. They had to cut out and simplify way too much of the story, so that the end product was very average imho.

i dunno why they didn't give the series more time. The best fantasy anime series are 12 Kingdoms, Guardian of the Spirit and Beast Player Erin. And they all took much more episodes for one novel. And Guin Saga had the potential to be just as great as these series, if they had turned it into a larger project v.v

But well, it is still a fine series, especially the music and colors/backgrounds are very beautiful, but not much of a stand alone. Needs the novels to continue the story afair.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:56 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I didn't know Nobuo Uematsu did the music for this. I'm more interested in checking it out now since this is the 2nd artist from the Final Fantasy franchise I've seen working on "Guin Saga." Yoshitaka Amano did some of the original book covers way back when, and might even be the originator for a lot of the character designs.
IIRC Yoshitaka Amano didn't get involved in the art until around the time the novels got numbered in the higher teens. Naoyuki Katoh did the art for the first arc (I remember that because I just recently reread that) and I remember hearing the series switched illustrators multiple times, possibly a different one for each arc. still, Amano's work he did for it was FANTASTIC, to the point when I got one of his hardcover artbooks and saw Guin Saga art in it I squeed like a fangirl. I'd love to see the novels get official English releases beyond the first 5 partially because I want to see all of what Amano did in terms of art for the series.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:05 pm Reply with quote
This is surprising, given that the series really wasn't that good. It had it's moments, but overall it was really kind of boring and spoiler[the end is a total cop out that doesn't conclude anything.] Surprised
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:09 pm Reply with quote
sweet, I'm reading the books right now and I'm liking them. It is disappointing that Kurimoto died before she could truly finish the series.
Key

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I saw this one all of the way through in fansubs and am not at all surprised that this got licensed or that it got picked up by Sentai, especially given that they also picked up Tears to Tiara, another high fantasy series. (And it's nice to see it confirmed officially after rumors started flying about it last month over in the Anime forum.)

And really, some people who have spoken up so far are being too quick to pooh-pooh its chances. It is as Western in look and story content as anime gets; this is the kind of fantasy story that could easily get published as a Young Adult title in the States. Even if it wasn't one of the hotter titles amongst anime fans, it has more cross-over potential into casual audiences than 95% of the anime titles out there, as any who's enjoyed the work of writers like Ron E. Howard could probably appreciate this one.

If the posted trailer is an example of how the series will sound dubbed, then I approve. The choices for the twins are excellent and the casting choice for Guin is good enough.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:01 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I saw this one all of the way through in fansubs and am not at all surprised that this got licensed or that it got picked up by Sentai, especially given that they also picked up Tears to Tiara, another high fantasy series. (And it's nice to see it confirmed officially after rumors started flying about it last month over in the Anime forum.)

And really, some people who have spoken up so far are being too quick to pooh-pooh its chances. It is as Western in look and story content as anime gets; this is the kind of fantasy story that could easily get published as a Young Adult title in the States. Even if it wasn't one of the hotter titles amongst anime fans, it has more cross-over potential into casual audiences than 95% of the anime titles out there, as any who's enjoyed the work of writers like Ron E. Howard could probably appreciate this one.

If the posted trailer is an example of how the series will sound dubbed, then I approve. The choices for the twins are excellent and the casting choice for Guin is good enough.

You took the words out of my mouth. I mean we have had birdman for goodness sake and your telling me this will bomb.

Seriously, I hope it does really, really well hear so they continue the story. But, the only way it will do really well hear is if it's dubbed, or else it has no chance of catching the casual buyer that is not an anime fan and trust me there is a lot more casual buyers then there are anime fans.

If marketed right this show can become the new Dragon Ball Z.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And really, some people who have spoken up so far are being too quick to pooh-pooh its chances. It is as Western in look and story content as anime gets; this is the kind of fantasy story that could easily get published as a Young Adult title in the States.

Media Blasters has just stated on ANNCast that 12 Kingdoms and Guardian of the Spirit are doing rather well, so there is no reason for Guin Saga not to do well, since it is pretty much the same kind of genre.

I get the impression that these series are never really popular among otaku-online-fans, but have a much stronger mainstream appeal than other typical animes. The novels for all 3 series are also very successful among a general audience in Japan and the anime series have aired at non-otaku-times.

Rinkwolf wrote:
Seriously, I hope it does really, really well hear so they continue the story.

I dunno, from what they stated on their homepage, the anime was supposed to be an introduction to the novels.
Given how popular Guin Saga already is, I suppose they would announce a longer series right from the start, if they had planned to do one. But well, we'll see ... I'd much prefer more animes for 12 Kingdoms and Moribito though.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:10 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
This is surprising, given that the series really wasn't that good. It had it's moments, but overall it was really kind of boring and spoiler[the end is a total cop out that doesn't conclude anything.] Surprised
you have to remember the Guin Saga is based on a series of novels that span 126 volumes of the main story and 21 gaiden novels as well as at least one manga gaiden. even with all that the story doesn't have an end since the author passed away recently. there's really no way the could have given a solid ending to something that doesn't even have an ending.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
you have to remember the Guin Saga is based on a series of novels that span 126 volumes of the main story and 21 gaiden novels as well as at least one manga gaiden. even with all that the story doesn't have an end since the author passed away recently. there's really no way the could have given a solid ending to something that doesn't even have an ending.

I'm with Kruszer. Guin started off well but went downhill quickly after the writers made Guin himself a lesser character and concentrated on other story lines. I found Amnelis progressively more annoying as story unfolded, and Suni one of the most useless characters I've ever seen. Her seiyuu probably recorded the entire performance in an afternoon, since it consisted largely of saying "soo-nee" in a variety of intonations.

As someone who has greatly enjoyed shows like Twelve Kingdoms and Moribito, and who has played his share of JRPGs, Guin was a big disappointment.

If Sentai really wants to make an impression on me, they can start by releasing Dennou Coil and Bartender here.
Teufel

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Great to hear, I actually really enjoyed the series. A dub isn't important to me but if it got the right cast I'd give it a chance.

I also thought the ending was pretty awesome. There may not have been a conclusion to the plot threads but it left it at a great place leaving you wanting more without being an obnoxious cliffhanger. Of course it'd be even better if it was the end of season one and we got a second season, instead of it being all we get of the series. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4