• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Bandai Entertainment Responds to ANNCast Comments

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:35 am Reply with quote
Sigh I hate Subed only dvds and now Bandai is going to focusing on subing this sucks I liked there dubs and no there no chance there going to dubbed Lucky Star ova sigh
Son Biggie

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 11:51 am Reply with quote
nailszz6 wrote:
Quote:
we may unfortunately discontinue creating dubs and focus on sub-only releases.

YES YES YES!!! More and more good news just keeps flowing in.

yes yes yes people losing there jobs = awsome!!!!!

I really don't want this to happen since I like watching dub anime as well as sub anime
Teufel

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:24 pm Reply with quote
This would be a shame. Bandai's releases usually have a number of my favorite dub voice actors. I'd hate to see them get less work let alone be out of jobs. I actually bought Wolf's Rain because it had an amazing dub cast, I didn't particularly care for the series itself.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Panda Man wrote:
egoist wrote:
Well, that's a positive response. I sincerely couldn't read more into what that man said after he started talking about "anime fading away", as it's clearly not.

I know, more than likely, we will have another anime boom. The market tends to go up and down over the years, which is how everything goes.

I have this sneaky feeling that another one will hit in 2012-2013.
RedTail

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I'd still like to know if there's any truth behind Sherman's blog comment on Bandai where he said 90% of BEI had been laid off last year. I vaguely remember layoffs being announced, but was it really that severe?

I'd have posed the question myself, but once again, I had no idea who the guest was going to be this week...
poehitman

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
But the problem is that this goes beyond free advertisement, you claim that fansubs don't represent lost revenue, what do you say to all those people who room is full of hundreds of disc of anime who just downloads everything.

It was lost revenue for me, as I didn't buy a single dvd during my fansub watching days.

Do you honestly think the majority of people who download fansubs would be running out to buy DVD's if fansubs didn't exist? Maybe, 10% I'd guess. So yeah, they do lose some revenue, but what they make back with sales of people who learned about an anime through fansubs is probably at least double what they'd lose.
Sandstar

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:47 pm Reply with quote
nailszz6 wrote:
Quote:

Remember kids: It's okay to be selfish when you like subs, but god help you if you like dubs. Apparently, in anime fandom, sub-only dvds are great, and dubs are the work of the devil. I don't understand why it's okay to say you won't buy a dvd without a sub, but it's inexplicable that you wouldn't want to buy a dvd without a dub. Some of us like dubs, and don't like subs. Yes, I can read. No I don't want to cause I like listening to anime in the background. I tend to agree: if dvds are sub only, why not just watch the fansubs?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Well, I hope Bandai doesn't go tits up (just as I don't want any R1 distrib to go out of business), but I have a feeling the scuttlebutt Eric Sherman passed on in the ANNcast is probably accurate. I'm basing that on the fact that Bandai isn't releasing much and seems to have a lot of delays in what it does release. If they have to go sub-only to survive, that would be a drag, but a company's gotta do what a company's gotta do.
poehitman

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
nailszz6 wrote:
Quote:

Remember kids: It's okay to be selfish when you like subs, but god help you if you like dubs. Apparently, in anime fandom, sub-only dvds are great, and dubs are the work of the devil. I don't understand why it's okay to say you won't buy a dvd without a sub, but it's inexplicable that you wouldn't want to buy a dvd without a dub. Some of us like dubs, and don't like subs. Yes, I can read. No I don't want to cause I like listening to anime in the background. I tend to agree: if dvds are sub only, why not just watch the fansubs?

I partially understand their argument, but it has a fatal flaw to it. They claim if that if the companies don't have to take the time to make the dub, that it will be released much faster after the license. But if they can see it even faster if they download the fansub, then buy the sub/dub DVD that would come out when the dub is complete.

The selfishness of sub-only fans is what gets me. They want to screw over all the dub fans, just so they could get the anime they want faster, when they could just as easily get it FASTER via fansubs or even more "legal" means. Dub fans aren't like that. We aren't demanding that they remove the sub-only track from US anime DVD's. We want everyone to have it in the medium that they enjoy.

And for the record, Magikano had the best dub ever. I watched both the sub and the dub. The dub was funnier BY FAR. I watch the dub with the subtitles from the "official script" while watching the DVD. They deviated from the script enough to make it hilarious, but not enough to change the original meaning of what the script conveyed.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Sandstar wrote:
I don't understand why it's okay to say you won't buy a dvd without a sub, but it's inexplicable that you wouldn't want to buy a dvd without a dub.

I only very rarely watch the dub - I watched the dub of Bebop, I tried the dub of El Cazador, but preferred the voice acting on the sub.

And ... I don't understand it either. Dub/Sub arguments were understandable in the days of VHS when it was one or the other, but that's years and years back. For this century, if the dub gets a good series to a wide audience, I'm happy its there.

Quote:
I tend to agree: if dvds are sub only, why not just watch the fansubs?
There's always the "to pay the creators of the content for their work and not be a bloodsucking leech" motivation.

I watched the Maria-sama ga Miteru season 4 fansubs because there was no place to see them, but I made sure that goki took down his Veoh uploads a month after he put them up, because Nozomi deserves all the DVD sales they can get from releasing a niche title like that ... especially since they include both localized subs and subs with honorifics.

But I would have far preferred to be able to watch a legit stream to skulking around the dank digital back alleys of watching bootleg fansubs.
jsc315

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
Sandstar wrote:
nailszz6 wrote:
Quote:

I partially understand their argument, but it has a fatal flaw to it. They claim if that if the companies don't have to take the time to make the dub, that it will be released much faster after the license. But if they can see it even faster if they download the fansub, then buy the sub/dub DVD that would come out when the dub is complete.

The selfishness of sub-only fans is what gets me. They want to screw over all the dub fans, just so they could get the anime they want faster, when they could just as easily get it FASTER via fansubs or even more "legal" means. Dub fans aren't like that. We aren't demanding that they remove the sub-only track from US anime DVD's. We want everyone to have it in the medium that they enjoy.

YES WE WANT TO SCREW OVER THE DUB FANS! How ignorant are you?!Are you really claiming that fans that enjoy Subtitles just want to steal everything and that your a much more of a loyal fan because it's more legal? That does not even make sense at all? you do realize how ignorant and condescending that comes off as?

I don't mind don't at all. I grew up in the mid 80s when they ADV just made horrific dubbing. Compared to back then the dubbing is more then fine, but to say the elitist sub only people just want to take it all and that you are a more loyal fan because you enjoy the dub is just stupid.

There are some over reactive fans who don't want dubs at all. They are just stupid. If it's on the disc who cares. I think a lot of people are saying that It will be a lot cheaper to just have it subtitles and be done with it and release it here in the U.S. To have to re-dub a whole series and re-edit part the lips and all to sync with the voice acting is extra cost for the company. As far as we know the industry is not doing that well at all and need to save costs somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
The Market is cyclical There are moments a when things go down only to come back up again. I mean Akira didn't do to good when it first came out (if memory serves me right) and a lot of people thought with that doing so poorly combined with other big budget flops. That the market was going to dry up and die or at least be very limited after that but the market weathered the storm. So who knows things might get better they might get worse before they get better time will tell.
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:12 pm Reply with quote
poehitman wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
But the problem is that this goes beyond free advertisement, you claim that fansubs don't represent lost revenue, what do you say to all those people who room is full of hundreds of disc of anime who just downloads everything.

It was lost revenue for me, as I didn't buy a single dvd during my fansub watching days.

Do you honestly think the majority of people who download fansubs would be running out to buy DVD's if fansubs didn't exist? Maybe, 10% I'd guess. So yeah, they do lose some revenue, but what they make back with sales of people who learned about an anime through fansubs is probably at least double what they'd lose.

Except ... the "make it back" argument has no evidence to back it up, and quite simple and straightforward evidence to knock it down.

Fansub downloads have been expanding, and the revenue from sales of media has been shrinking. Its straightforward that if they were really getting a net benefit from the fansubs, then as more and more fansubs were distributed, that net benefit would show up on the bottom line.

The two possibilities that are possible under the most obvious and basic real world evidence are (1) it has no impact and (2) it hurts. The "it helps" possibility comes from some world that works differently from our world.

However, the fansub downloads are really a side issue. The main issue is leech streaming, which competes directly head to head against both legit streaming and licensed DVD's. Restricting themselves to finished series and omitting titles licensed by a set of companies - as one torrent site does - would hurt their ranking on the leech stream aggregators and so all the big ones directly and actively take money out of the revenues going to the content creators.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:18 pm Reply with quote
jsc315 wrote:
poehitman wrote:
All I can say is that if they stop making dubs, I stop buying their DVD's. I won't buy sub-only releases as they are just glorified fansubs.

That is one of the most idiotic things i have read on here in a while. Please explain how in the world you came to this conclusion?

Yes indeed I agree. This is an idiotic statement. If you don't care about sub only, why are you wasting your time buying anime? Besides what are you gonna do when Funimation decides to release sub-only titles?
torreyjs

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I just hope we still get some dubs for our box sets. I mean like I said earlier if the dubs go away so will I, and Id rather keep getting new interesting shows.

I just hope dubs dont disappear that would suck. I guess I could buy new stuff with my monthly budget I have for anime but fudge man gotta get my cartoon fix.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8