• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Re-Acquired by Saban for TV Run on Nick

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilco488

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:04 am Reply with quote
Any idea which Sentai series they'll be adapting? Will they be picking up with Shinkenger or skipping to Goseiger?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:36 am Reply with quote
Saban is still around? I thought they got bought out by Disney or something.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:51 am Reply with quote
Haim Saban is still around, he recently bought Univision (The US #1 Spanish Language Network), So I guess getting one of the things that made him a lot of money back then isn't that strange for him as apparently Disney wanted to let it loose.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:52 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

Even I was shocked. I thought they went six feet under years ago. Same with Harmony Gold.

Quote:
Disney had purchased the franchise in 2001, but decided not to place it underneath the Disney brand umbrella after focus group research showed that mothers disliked the violence. Disney has been shopping for a new owner for the franchise for more than a year.

and it's things like these they gave the rise to companies like nelvana & 4kids. Cause if parents,especially mothers go midevil for the content of power rangers of all things, then you cant really blame 4kids or nelvana for it's massive editing of series otherwise they would faced the same thing.

Either way I am not happy it's gonna be on nick. cause though I dont have that. Also other PR fans who only have local channels are cringing right now. It would have been better if they had given it to CW for it's sat morning run now that Kamen Rider is not longer there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
biolizard_alpha

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:53 am Reply with quote
Naruto on Disney
DBZ on Nicktoons and 4Kids
And now this

The world is not what it used to be.
Redshift

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:06 am Reply with quote
I am still waiting on a Power Rangers anime. Am I the only one who thinks that is an awesome idea?
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
Good for him. I loved this show (well, when it first started) for its complete campy and ridiculous premise. It's definitely one of my guilty pleasures. One of these days, I'll buy the series.

And yes, I went to see the movie in theaters when it came out. I thought it was okay, though I felt the larger budget actually took away some of the elements which made the TV show.

I may just have to set my DVR to start recording the series again, just for old times sake.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:31 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Either way I am not happy it's gonna be on nick. cause though I don't have that. Also other PR fans who only have local channels are cringing right now. It would have been better if they had given it to CW for it's sat morning run now that Kamen Rider is not longer there.

After the astounding success of Ultraman Tiga on 4Kids TV, and the cultural phenomenom known as Kamen Rider: Dragon Knight on the CW4Kids, it's amazing that it isn't airing on the CW...

No it's not. Kamen Rider was routinely the lowest rated show on the CW4Kids, and Ultraman completely fell on its face. I doubt 4Kids is going to want to gamble with more tokusatsu.
golby260

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:14 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
No it's not. Kamen Rider was routinely the lowest rated show on the CW4Kids, and Ultraman completely fell on its face. I doubt 4Kids is going to want to gamble with more tokusatsu.

Hee, hee, hee..

If I'm not wrong about how at least one thing has been constant for the past *counts* 15 years, then CW, formerly known as UPN, was always the channel good anime, nevermind good shows period, went to DIE.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, anyone? Sailor Moon, anyone?

The only thing UPN ever aired right was Disney cartoons, and one never had to try hard to give those shows decent time slots.

But, yeah. Nice to see Saban make a comeback. I want Noozles, the Lil' Bits, and Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics on DVD, please. Very Happy
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:26 am Reply with quote
golby260 wrote:
Primus wrote:

Hee, hee, hee..

If I'm not wrong about how at least one thing has been constant for the past *counts* 15 years, then CW, formerly known as UPN, was always the channel good anime, nevermind good shows period, went to DIE.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer, anyone? Sailor Moon, anyone?

The only thing UPN ever aired right was Disney cartoons, and one never had to try hard to give those shows decent time slots.

But, yeah. Nice to see Saban make a comeback. I want Noozles, the Lil' Bits, and Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics on DVD, please. Very Happy

UPN is where shows go to die. The CW is where they're incredibly desperate for ratings... And the network that broadcasts new Supernatural episodes and used to show Reaper.

Otherwise, yes, the network 'still' blows. Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl, the apparently god awful 90210 remake and many other horrendous productions.

Once Supernatural finishes next year though... Hopefully, the network can finally die in peace with it's god awful audience as well.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:50 am Reply with quote
Have you guys seen what's be done to the "re-versioned" Mighty Morphin Power Rangers that's been airing recently? Added a bit more special effects and comic book-like things (sound effects when hitting enemies). Seriously, totally unnecessary.

Can't wait for more Power Rangers. Still have seen every season to this day =D
ShindoW

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:03 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Have you guys seen what's be done to the "re-versioned" Mighty Morphin Power Rangers that's been airing recently? Added a bit more special effects and comic book-like things (sound effects when hitting enemies). Seriously, totally unnecessary.

Can't wait for more Power Rangers. Still have seen every season to this day =D

Although I totally agree that the extra crap added is kinda making an already aged show look even more aged and just appealing further to the Japanese otakus, at least they are airing the original at all. Disney barely aired it and no one has put it on DVD except, IIRC, the Germans for $70 a set. X.x I don't have the time or money to track down the 50 something VHS tapes either Anime hyper
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:18 am Reply with quote
If this means that Power Rangers can air again with its original FOX broadcast version, then I'm all for Saban re-acquiring this series. However, I'm also surprised that Haim Saban is getting back into the children's broadcast game again considering that he decided to pull out after the turn of the century.

I'm also hoping that this move will finally get Power Rangers on DVD and Blu-Ray. But, I'm not too sure considering that Haim Saban is a notoriously stubborn businessman and whether Toei is willing to let the series get released on DVD.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:58 am Reply with quote
Romuska wrote:

What Vicserr said - Saban was started in 1988, spin off an international division a few years later, merged with Fox Children's Productions to form Fox Kids, then Fox and Saban sold out to Disney in 2001, and they renamed it.

Obvious Haim Saban did not take his money and retire to the Bahamas, but stayed in entertainment media .. the story is that his current company bought Power Rangers back from Disney.

The old company did not "bite the dust" in 2001, it was just renamed BVS Ent. when it became a wholly owned Disney production company. However, since the only things listed in its IMDb filmography are Power Rangers productions, it probably bit the dust when Disney decided to sell the rights.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:05 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Romuska wrote:

What Vicserr said - Saban was started in 1988, spin off an international division a few years later, merged with Fox Children's Productions to form Fox Kids, then Fox and Saban sold out to Disney in 2001, and they renamed it.

Obvious Haim Saban did not take his money and retire to the Bahamas, but stayed in entertainment media .. the story is that his current company bought Power Rangers back from Disney.

The old company did not "bite the dust" in 2001, it was just renamed BVS Ent. when it became a wholly owned Disney production company. However, since the only things listed in its IMDb filmography are Power Rangers productions, it probably bit the dust when Disney decided to sell the rights.

No, Saban was started in 1984. Haim Saban and Shuki Levy were former execs for DiC entertainment. In the Spring of 1984, they were commissioned to do a live-action saturday morning cartoon called "Kidd Video". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bJrDb6KS8g
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4