• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Re-Acquired by Saban for TV Run on Nick

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
No, Saban was started in 1984.

Oh, so Saban Capital Group's web page on Haim Saban is lying about when Saban Ent. was form? or misinformed?

From the page
Quote:
Mr. Saban moved to Los Angeles in 1983, where he launched a chain of recording studios that rapidly became the top supplier of music for television.

Mr. Saban's foray into television began in 1988, when he formed Saban Entertainment, an international television, production, distribution and merchandising company. The company produced several major hits, including The X-Men™ and numerous other shows and products developed around Marvel Comics characters. Perhaps most notably, under Mr. Saban's guidance, the organization introduced to the U.S. the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers™ — a global phenomenon that to this day is one of the top selling boys' toy brands in the United States.

In 1995, Mr. Saban merged his company with Rupert Murdoch's Fox Kids Network, creating a fully-integrated entertainment company that combined Saban Entertainment's content and merchandising strength with Fox Broadcasting's network distribution.

You'd think the Saban Capital Group would not get something like that wrong. I think you have his studio and Saban Entertainment confused with each other.
stararnold

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:45 pm Reply with quote
I thougth the "Power Rangers" franchise was brought to a permanent close, but I guess some franchises can't stay closed for long.

Welcome back, "Power Rangers"!
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:46 pm Reply with quote
biolizard_alpha wrote:
Naruto on Disney
DBZ on Nicktoons and 4Kids
And now this

The world is not what it used to be.

Agreed, what they hell happened? In addition, I thought Saban went out of business years ago. Way back in 2002.

I will say this though, the first season of Power Rangers was actually pretty good for it's time. An exciting theme song that wasn't too over the top or too strange. Also, the cast used actual hand to hand combat rather than the mumble jumble techniques used later in the series.

Too bad Dragon Ball Z Kai is going to be over edited or over censored though. At least Funimation knows what they are doing and releasing the show unedited and uncut. This is a absolute shame what Nick will to such a fantastic series though.
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Best news ever. kinda curious how they'll treat it, but excited none the less.
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Nick is really on a roll, huh?
Do they want to be our new savior since CN abandoned us?
GloriousMaximus

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:41 pm Reply with quote
According to Topless Robot (who is sourcing the New York Times) they will be using Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, so they will be still going chronologically instead of skipping to the newest thing. Does anyone know if the Japanese series is any good?
EDIT: Watched the OP, looks good so far, but I have to admit the only thing I was looking for was to see if the yellow ranger would be a girl this time or if they would be making yellow cross-dress for the English version again lol
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 5:41 pm Reply with quote
What happened to afternoon cartoons? There is no Fox Kids or Toonami or even Meguzi anymore. So what do kids watch after school these days? I feel bad for kids today who don't even have cable, what is there for them to watch? When I was a kid it seemed like there was an abundance of cartoons. I could watch cartoons before school, after school, and every Saturday morning.

Watching cartoons and shows like Power Rangers were a big part of my childhood, and helped make me into the nerd I am today. It is depressing to think that kids these days are robbed of such experiences.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:28 pm Reply with quote
OutlawGundam wrote:
What happened to afternoon cartoons? There is no Fox Kids or Toonami or even Meguzi anymore. So what do kids watch after school these days? I feel bad for kids today who don't even have cable, what is there for them to watch?

The kids that have cable can still see cartoons; there just aren't any themed blocks (such as Meguzi). Looking at my local listings, starting at the 3:00 p.m. hour, and going until 5:00 p.m., this is what I found.

The only local channel to have anything kid-oriented is the PBS station, but their kid stuff only goes until 5:00. I can guarantee that, in my area at least, that two of the four shows are animated.

Today on Nickelodeon, they had Jimmy Neutron and Fan Boy & Chum Chum between 3:00 and 4:00. Then, a live-action show on at 4:00. Penguins of Madagascar at 4:30 (What, no SpongeBob during those slots? Shocking, considering how much they air that show!). Disney is just showig all live-action during that time period. Cartoon Network actually shows all cartoons during those two hours(!) (Garfield, Totally Spies, and Codename: Kids Next Door).

Of course, kids with Comcast can also go to ON DEMAND and watch cartoons in the Kids section (which is what my kids are choosing to do more and more).

So there's still cartoons on after school, but it's definitely not as abundant as before.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stararnold

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:29 pm Reply with quote
OutlawGundam wrote:
What happened to afternoon cartoons? There is no Fox Kids or Toonami or even Meguzi anymore. So what do kids watch after school these days? I feel bad for kids today who don't even have cable, what is there for them to watch? When I was a kid it seemed like there was an abundance of cartoons. I could watch cartoons before school, after school, and every Saturday morning.

Children aren't the only ones getting less cartoon viewing choices to choose from when watching the U.S. neworks. For, it seems that now both daytime cartoon programing and nighttime cartoon programing (which mainly targets adults) are losing their places on more and more U.S. networks. It's as if all U.S. animation for television is dying. So, I feel bad for both kids and adults.
OutlawGundam

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
Today on Nickelodeon, they had Jimmy Neutron and Fan Boy & Chum Chum between 3:00 and 4:00. Then, a live-action show on at 4:00. Penguins of Madagascar at 4:30 (What, no SpongeBob during those slots? Shocking, considering how much they air that show!). Disney is just showig all live-action during that time period. Cartoon Network actually shows all cartoons during those two hours(!) (Garfield, Totally Spies, and Codename: Kids Next Door).

Out of all those shows I would say Codename: Kids Next Door is the only one I could stand to watch, and maybe Jimmy Neutron. I have no idea what Fan Boy & Chum Chum is, and I hate all of Disney's live-action programing.
egoist

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Power Rangers lol. Never really liked it when I was a kid, so it's not now that I'll like it. I preferred that show where a few teens got trapped in a different world where dragons exist and the main villain is the archenemy of a 7 headed dragon. Completely forgot the name.
agila61

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Agreed, what they hell happened? In addition, I thought Saban went out of business years ago. Way back in 2002.

Disney bought it out, changed its name. Difference between "going out of business" and selling your stake in a takeover is $$$. Everytime Disney did something "Power Rangers" that seems to have been the renamed unit doing the production.
FaytLein

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:41 pm Reply with quote
GloriousMaximus wrote:
According to Topless Robot (who is sourcing the New York Times) they will be using Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, so they will be still going chronologically instead of skipping to the newest thing. Does anyone know if the Japanese series is any good?
EDIT: Watched the OP, looks good so far, but I have to admit the only thing I was looking for was to see if the yellow ranger would be a girl this time or if they would be making yellow cross-dress for the English version again lol

Shinkenger is actually pretty awesome, but I don't see the US adaptation as being that great, especially in regards to the villains. Kinda hard to see japanese folklore monsters trying to flood the Sanzu River or opening the gates of hell being too kid friendly. Goseiger, as weird as it looks, would probably be better to bring over, space bugs named after American sci-fi movies? I'd watch it!
ljaesch

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:48 pm Reply with quote
OutlawGundam, when it comes to Fan Boy & Chum Chum, you're not missing much. It's a pretty bad show, IMHO. My five-year-old liked it for maybe two weeks, and then decided to go on to something else. She hasn't gone back. My two older children never had an interest in it.

When it comes to Power Rangers (the topic of this thread), I was in my first year of college when it came out in 1993. Was never a fan of it then, and still have no interest now. My kids have heard of it (through kids' meal promotions and toy commercials over the years), but none of them have ever expressed any interest in the property.

OutlawGundam wrote:
ljaesch wrote:

Out of all those shows I would say Codename: Kids Next Door is the only one I could stand to watch, and maybe Jimmy Neutron. I have no idea what Fan Boy & Chum Chum is, and I hate all of Disney's live-action programing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 11:06 pm Reply with quote
To the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Theme:

"Go, go Haim Saban!
da-na-na-na-na
Go, go Haim Saban!
Da-na-na-na-na
DNC donating, Israeli Haim Saban!"

I've had that in my head since my dad told me about the New Yorker column on Haim Saban and last week's ANNCast remindedme how much I loved that dumb show when I was a kid.

I wish him the best of luck in this new endevour!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4