• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Staff Infection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I can't imagine anyone liking both Fullmetal Alchemist series, just because they have two completely different styles.

The first Fullmetal Alchemist is for people who like slow pace series where people talk endlessly about the exact same thing. If you played a drinking game where you drink everytime Equivalent Exchange is mentioned than you would be dead within the hour.

On the other hand the manga/Brotherhood is much more fast paced, with a lot more action, and more emphasis on being over the top.

Ah, but I enjoy both, and equally, for the intricate plotline and colorful characters, but I enjoy them separately for the first series having a more serious, dramatic approach to the material and the second being very action-packed and having a detailed world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
I know about that Excel spreadsheet for the hentai. It's not actually that guy's, it's kind of a public project that people add titles and fetishes to in order to categorize all the hentai animation in existence. Smart and interesting idea, limited purpose.

As for the flat chest lovers, I cannot tell if people are truthful or being sarcastic. Probably both, along with the 3dpd and waifu thing.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Fri May 14, 2010 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:47 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
I can't imagine anyone liking both Fullmetal Alchemist series, just because they have two completely different styles.

The first Fullmetal Alchemist is for people who like slow pace series where people talk endlessly about the exact same thing. If you played a drinking game where you drink everytime Equivalent Exchange is mentioned than you would be dead within the hour.

On the other hand the manga/Brotherhood is much more fast paced, with a lot more action, and more emphasis on being over the top.

Ah, but I enjoy both, and equally, for the intricate plotline and colorful characters, but I enjoy them separately for the first series having a more serious, dramatic approach to the material and the second being very action-packed and having a detailed world.

I just felt like the drama in the first series was just bad, Dante was a weak villain who didn't have the intelligence or style to be the main villain, and character death that wasn't in the manga was just really bad. Take the death of spoiler[Scar] which has way too much Monty Python where he should have been dead 10 minutes earlier than he actually died.

This really becomes apparent with the sheer amount of times where characters are killed offscreen like spoiler[Dr. Marcoh, and Izumi] or their deaths are anti-climatic like spoiler[Basque Grand]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I just felt like the drama in the first series was just bad, Dante was a weak villain who didn't have the intelligence or style to be the main villain, and character death that wasn't in the manga was just really bad. Take the death of spoiler[Scar] which has way too much Monty Python where he should have been dead 10 minutes earlier than he actually died.

This really becomes apparent with the sheer amount of times where characters are killed offscreen like spoiler[Dr. Marcoh, and Izumi] or their deaths are anti-climatic like spoiler[Basque Grand]

Yes, I'm quite familiar with your thoughts on the first series. And you're probably familiar with mine. At this point we're like two magicians who already know each other's acts.

I'll be diplomatic and simply say that I disagree, for reasons I've been over before.

But I still think Zac should give Brotherhood more of a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:56 pm Reply with quote
"Just for what it is" - Y'all so nail this. If you have to grade it "on a curve" based on its ambitions, its a B at best. To be an A, it has to be good without making excuses for itself (though of course, which shows do that is a matter of opinion).

A difference between BSG and Firefly (or Babylon5) is that Firefly actually had a story arc - BSG had a start, atmosphere and great writers, and when some of the great writers left they were stuck coming up with a landing that could match the take-off ... and just couldn't make it stick.

Firefly was less ambitious, but behind the "pull a job, mess it up, run away" episodic format was telling an actual story, which is why it is so satisfying that they were able to essentially close out a complete storyline. Of course, while the finale was a climax - it was not a LOTR finale. They could bring on a Chinese leading character as a new passenger who works her way into the crew - and can actually speak Cantonese - and do a second story arc (I'm sure if they were to show a subtitled Firefly in Taiwan or Hong Kong, they'd have to subtitle both the English and the supposed swearing in Cantonese) ...

...given the scope of the audience and budget constraints, perhaps as an anime (though after the podcast I kind of feel like I am letting the side down by raising that point).
fistofthemfk

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I didn't have any questions prior to the cast, but I do now that I've learned a lot about the writers. With a staff of film "snobs" that have that academic background, how did you all get and stay drawn to anime? I know that sounds like a generic and simple question to ask, but I would never figure the guests as anime fans after they articulated their favorite films. However, they can discuss the anime they've been watching lately just as well.
mabber36

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:00 am Reply with quote
the to-love-ru anime is a complete failure on all levels but the manga is one of the greastest fanservice-fests ever
agila61

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:06 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
...wait, hold on, you complain about the fourth Indiana Jones movie because the character didn't grow and learn? What did he grow and learn in any of the first three?

But in 4 he was like a bizillionty years older than in 1, 2, and 3.

And the thing was, the original was "lets go back to the spirit of the old serials that played before the main feature".

4 was more, lets be no$talgic about how nostalgic 1, 2 and 3 made us feel.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:20 am Reply with quote
Theron and Brian sound absolutely nothing like what I imagined they sounded like. Erin on the other hand, is just about a perfect match with the one I use in my head when I read Shelf Life. Yes, I use voices when I read. I am insane.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic, unless you have an axe to grind against Miyazaki or Studio Ghibli, you should do yourself a favor and make time to watch Totoro. It's a thoroughly enjoyable film (also, happy birthday).

Now that I know what the subject was for the discarded Flake of the Week, I feel bad for even asking about it. Crying or Very sad Man, what a tool.
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
I've been looking forward to this episode since last week and practically F5ing the front page since dinnertime! I was super excited to hear everyone. Erin and Brian and the new Astro Toy guy, huzzah!

I love how it sort of magically ended up being the "Everybody sound off on your thoughts about Gurren Lagann!" episode. It just sort of coincidentally popped up in every segment.

_V_ wrote:
Rebuild of Evangelion is not comparable to the Gurren Lagann movies or the Gundam movies.

Did they even mention Eva in the podcast outside of the Blu-Ray discussion? And are you trying to say that it's like Evangelion: Do You Remember Love, only a bazillion times less pretty and a little better at missing the point of the TV show? That does make sense.
Key

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:42 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
DEAR GOTT IN HIMMEL, Theron, you sound nothing like I imagined. *shakes her head* This is so weird... Where's the accent from?

DerekTheRed wrote:
Theron and Brian sound absolutely nothing like what I imagined they sounded like. Erin on the other hand, is just about a perfect match with the one I use in my head when I read Shelf Life. Yes, I use voices when I read. I am insane.

If it's any consolation, I am also surprised by what I sound like on the podcast. To my own ear I've never thought I have that deep a voice. And accent? What accent? Us Midwesterners (I grew up in northern Indiana) don't have no accent! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
grooven

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:19 am Reply with quote
When you guys were saying 10 years ago, yes moe did exist 10 years ago. It is just that it isn't as popular as it is now. Di Gi Charat was 2000 and many other galage games too.

I also think it isn't fair for Zac to go ahead and use 3 titles he has never seen before to use as an example of what is bad of anime today and what it has become. Watch it before you go ahead and try to dis it please.

For Erin's reviews it is fine to have an opinion but when comparing non anime in an anime review that is where it doesn't make sense.
Ian K

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:32 am Reply with quote
@ On "judging a work for what it is"

I haven't studied film, but I have taken some drama classes (more of the appreciation than the doing variety), and they mentioned some German guy (whose name I now forget) who gave three criteria on which works (in this case plays) should be judged:

-What does the work attempt to accomplish?
-Does it succeed?
-How worthwhile is the work's goal?

When partisans of a series complain that something isn't be judged only within a particular category, they are focusing on the first two points at the expense of the third. A show may perfectly fulfill its goals of providing fanservice (of one variety or another) and entertaining its audience, but if that's all it does a critic is perfectly justified in considering it inferior to shows with higher ambitions or that take more risks (even if they turn out less polished). Of course, all three categories are pretty subjective, and different people will have different ways of determining what is "worthwhile".

@Theron:

I was also surprised by your voice. When reading your reviews and comments, I always imagined them in a higher, softer voice, perhaps a bit shy and effeminate . . .

Oh crap, there I go again, making assumptions about people based on their avatars (I was really surprised when I first heard Zac's voice).
LemonCookies

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:33 am Reply with quote
"No one's trying to keep 'em down." But isn't that exactly what you're doing in this podcast? Or what Tokyo's proposed ban is trying to do? Or Osaka's? How about Canada's laws? The UK's? Australia's? The Handley case?

It seems blatantly obvious to me that a lot of people are trying to bring lolicon down. "I don't care what you do in private. I'm against censorship." Right, right, and in the same breath: "I don't want it to be licensed and really wish that it didn't exist." So you wish to deprive fans of a legal means of obtaining series they like just because you don't? Or: "Most people who like this stuff are young misanthropic rebellious hikkikomori who sit around talking about how much they love flat chested girls."

What the hell? Really? Hmm. Am I young? I'm 19, so maybe. Misanthropic? I prefer misanthropic humanist, if I may borrow Mark Twain's moniker for himself. I have great admiration for humanity's accomplishments, its ability to reason and empathize, but at the same time view it as a verminous, ignorant, egotistical pestilence overrunning this poor little planet. Rebellious? Well, I listen to metal, but in the usual sense of the term, no. I just generally don't like what most other people like. "The crowd is untruth!" (Soren Kierkegaard.) Hikikomori? Certainly not. I'm working my ass off to save up money for college. Hell, I might even join the Peace Corps to help pay off my loans after I graduate. Do I sit around posting in lolicon forums? No, I don't have the time, energy, or interest.

And when I call myself a fan of lolicon, that doesn't mean it's the only genre I enjoy. My anime collection boasts at least one of every genre you could possibly think of.

In sum, I really think you guys should follow your own advice and stop talking about moe and lolicon if it upsets you this damn much. Then maybe I won't ever get annoyed enough to post something like this! Hey, everybody wins! Neutral (PS: I also think it's a great idea to provide multiple reviews for the moe/loli shows, Zac, so props to you for implementing that.)

Last edited by LemonCookies on Sat May 15, 2010 12:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10