• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Power Rangers Re-Acquired by Saban for TV Run on Nick

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 3:13 am Reply with quote
Just a little speculation, but I wonder if the new Saban company might be the one that offered to buy 4Kids?

Also hope that Saban takes interest in buying back the US broadcast rights to Digimon as well.

Redshift wrote:
I am still waiting on a Power Rangers anime. Am I the only one who thinks that is an awesome idea?

Before Disney did the reboot of the original series there was a lot of heavy speculation that Disney was going to do a Power Rangers animated series after RPM. It was even said to be a definitive story to tie all of the series together once and for all. If this was indeed planned then it might have been axed when Saban made the move to buy the series back and Bandai showed interest in doing a new MMPR toy line.

golby260 wrote:
Buffy the Vampire Slayer, anyone? Sailor Moon, anyone?

But Sailor Moon didn't go there to die. It found new life on Cartoon Network like DBZ did and even got new episodes (like DBZ did).

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Too bad Dragon Ball Z Kai is going to be over edited or over censored though.

Base on what again? Oh, right, pure baseless speculation.

GloriousMaximus wrote:
According to Topless Robot (who is sourcing the New York Times) they will be using Samurai Sentai Shinkenger, so they will be still going chronologically instead of skipping to the newest thing.

That's good to hear. I really, really, really hope they do like they did with the original first few series of PR and splice Shinkenger and Goseiger into one continuous story like how Zyuranger, Dairanger, Kakuranger, Ohranger, Carranger, Megaranger gave way to MMPR, Zeo, Turbo, Space, and some movies. I'm not a big fan of the constant reboots with very loosely connected story and occasional cameo.

FaytLein wrote:
Shinkenger is actually pretty awesome, but I don't see the US adaptation as being that great, especially in regards to the villains. Kinda hard to see japanese folklore monsters trying to flood the Sanzu River or opening the gates of hell being too kid friendly. Goseiger, as weird as it looks, would probably be better to bring over, space bugs named after American sci-fi movies? I'd watch it!

Well, it's not like Power Rangers has a history of actually adapting the story from their Japanese counterparts. Wink If they're creative enough and have the foresight they could actually make the Japanese references work for them by making the show semi-educational considering kids these days have an increasing interest in Japanese culture.

OutlawGundam wrote:
I feel bad for kids today who don't even have cable, what is there for them to watch?

It's hard enough to believe there are enough kids out there that don't have cable TV to make it worth while for local networks to run cartoons, let alone believe these kids have neither cable TV nor the internet where there are many cartoon options.

egoist wrote:
Power Rangers lol. Never really liked it when I was a kid, so it's not now that I'll like it. I preferred that show where a few teens got trapped in a different world where dragons exist and the main villain is the archenemy of a 7 headed dragon. Completely forgot the name.

Do you mean Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog? How sad is it that I didn't even have to look that up? I've actually got a few of their figures, they were really nicely made even back then, especially the dragon!

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 9:49 am Reply with quote
Heh, that's the one, Emerje. My fav back then until I discovered Saint Seiya, CCS, DB, Digimon, Pokemon, etc.
karvelot

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 7:15 pm Reply with quote
As long as I get the original series in it's original unaltered format, as it appeared on Fox Kids back in 1993 on a DVD boxset, I couldn't care less.

I also thought Saban Entertainment kicked the bucket in 2002. Weird.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:

golby260 wrote:

But Sailor Moon didn't go there to die. It found new life on Cartoon Network like DBZ did and even got new episodes (like DBZ did).

Sailor Moon also never aired on UPN. It was syndicated before it's run on Cartoon Network. At one point, it was on just prior to Kids WB! here.

The only anime I believe UPN Kids ever had was Technoman.
E-Master

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 11:39 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting news, I didn't think I'd hear that company's name again. Though I remenber the last time I watched Power rangers was Alien Rangers, and after that I discontinued watching the show at the point when nearly all of the original actors left the show.

After reading this news, I hope some of the previous Saban own properties will get DVD releases. If not, then I can still wait.

Though I'm sure anyone would agree with me that Samurai Pizza Cats deserves a Complete series DVD.
SnazzyAzzy83

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 12:13 am Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
golby260 wrote:
Primus wrote:
No it's not. Kamen Rider was routinely the lowest rated show on the CW4Kids, and Ultraman completely fell on its face. I doubt 4Kids is going to want to gamble with more tokusatsu.

Hee, hee, hee..

If I'm not wrong about how at least one thing has been constant for the past *counts* 15 years, then CW, formerly known as UPN, was always the channel good anime, nevermind good shows period, went to DIE.

The only thing UPN ever aired right was Disney cartoons, and one never had to try hard to give those shows decent time slots.

But, yeah. Nice to see Saban make a comeback. I want Noozles, the Lil' Bits, and Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics on DVD, please. Very Happy

UPN is where shows go to die. The CW is where they're incredibly desperate for ratings... And the network that broadcasts new Supernatural episodes and used to show Reaper.

Otherwise, yes, the network 'still' blows. Vampire Diaries, Gossip Girl, the apparently god awful 90210 remake and many other horrendous productions.

Once Supernatural finishes next year though... Hopefully, the network can finally die in peace with it's god awful audience as well.

That's pretty much a given now, since WWE is pulling it's SmackDown! show from CW and moving it to Sci Fi (I refuse to call it SyFy) in the fall.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:45 am Reply with quote
SnazzyAzzy83 wrote:

That's pretty much a given now, since WWE is pulling it's SmackDown! show from CW and moving it to Sci Fi (I refuse to call it SyFy) in the fall.

Actually the CW cancelled SmackDown a couple seasons ago. The show has been airing on MyTV Network since then. I assume you mean it's leaving there and heading to Sci-Fi (yes the name is stupid.)

And if any network has deserved to die, it's MyTV. Unlike the CW, and it's precursors UPN and the WB, it has never had one worthwhile show. Like most News Corp stations, it's full of nothing but trash and reruns.
Vicserr

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 7:06 am Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
agila61 wrote:
Romuska wrote:
Saban is still around? I thought they got bought out by Disney or something.

What Vicserr said - Saban was started in 1988, spin off an international division a few years later, merged with Fox Children's Productions to form Fox Kids, then Fox and Saban sold out to Disney in 2001, and they renamed it.

Obvious Haim Saban did not take his money and retire to the Bahamas, but stayed in entertainment media .. the story is that his current company bought Power Rangers back from Disney.

The old company did not "bite the dust" in 2001, it was just renamed BVS Ent. when it became a wholly owned Disney production company. However, since the only things listed in its IMDb filmography are Power Rangers productions, it probably bit the dust when Disney decided to sell the rights.

No, Saban was started in 1984. Haim Saban and Shuki Levy were former execs for DiC entertainment. In the Spring of 1984, they were commissioned to do a live-action saturday morning cartoon called "Kidd Video". http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bJrDb6KS8g

He and Shuki Levy worked for ZIV and created "El Festival de los Robots"
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Raoh

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
The issue here is how badly Saban is going to completely and utterly bastardize every part of Shinkenger.

This is why I download stuff. Especially Sentai and Kamen Rider.

Once I saw the japanese versions, I couldn't ever watch the American stuff again.

To be completely fair, I gave every season of PR a shot to entertain me, and that hadn't happend since Ninja Storm (Which was HILARIOUS). Also, because I was a kid when it came out, when they brought back the Tommy character for Dino Thunder, I watched that.

I did try KR Dragon Knight, but the horrible pronounciation each actor used on Kamen, and the fact that it wasn't a new KR they were using (Seriously Ryuki? My god, at least use Kabuto or Kiva, something a bit newer than early 2000's), completely threw me off of it.

To be honest, I think it'd be amazing if they just threw some subtitles on the original video and aired that. But that'll never happen, because kids are idiotic and lazy, and think reading is unimportant.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
The issue here is how badly Saban is going to completely and utterly bastardize every part of Shinkenger.

Really? People still haven't gotten over the fact that Power Rangers shows are a separate entity from that of their Japanese counterparts? That they use different stories, different names, different characters, and different actors and only have costumes (most of them, some PR shows tweaked the costumes or added new ones) and mecha in common. PR isn't bastardized, butchered, hacked, or anything else, they're their own show.

Quote:
I did try KR Dragon Knight, but the horrible pronounciation each actor used on Kamen, and the fact that it wasn't a new KR they were using (Seriously Ryuki? My god, at least use Kabuto or Kiva, something a bit newer than early 2000's), completely threw me off of it.

They were going for the show that would be the most accessible to little kids in America. Kids are much more likely to latch on to a story about super powered knights (a concept they can understand) over oni and other Japanese monsters.

Quote:
To be honest, I think it'd be amazing if they just threw some subtitles on the original video and aired that. But that'll never happen, because kids are idiotic and lazy, and think reading is unimportant.

It has nothing to do with being idiotic or lazy. Kids with a 1st - 4th grade reading level (the target demographic) are not capable of keeping up with fast paced subtitles. A lot of adults don't watch anime subs because they can't keep up.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:43 am Reply with quote
I seriously have lost major interest in Power Rangers. The last of the series I watched a lot of was SPD in 2005-6. However, congrats to Saban for waiting this long for re-acquiring it. Now, if they got the first 4 seasons of Digimon to be on DVD or legally streaming (I know the Japanese version of season 2 is viewable on CrunchyRoll and FuniMation's sites), I would be really happy.
midori kou

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 12:57 am Reply with quote
I have been a fan of Power Rangers and I always thought the later series following Power Rangers In Space were some of the best. Heck RPM, which was done under Disney, is my favorite from that era mainly because it was so far left-field compared to the original, had a wonderful cast and story. They can make great series without completely adapting sentai word for word. If I want to watch sentai, then I would go to the original source. However, there are times one is better than the other and that's the one I go to watch.

I'm really glad that Saban got the series back and hope that it retains certain qualities that made me fell in love with the show in the first place.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
One potential good news is that we could see this as a reality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82cCvEd3esk

Instead of the cruel Aprils Fools joke that it was.

Also Agreed that Power Rangers is a different beast from the show it was derived from, and is not worse because of it.
Raoh

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
Raoh wrote:

Really? People still haven't gotten over the fact that Power Rangers shows are a separate entity from that of their Japanese counterparts? That they use different stories, different names, different characters, and different actors and only have costumes (most of them, some PR shows tweaked the costumes or added new ones) and mecha in common. PR isn't bastardized, butchered, hacked, or anything else, they're their own show.

Quote:

They were going for the show that would be the most accessible to little kids in America. Kids are much more likely to latch on to a story about super powered knights (a concept they can understand) over oni and other Japanese monsters.

Quote:

It has nothing to do with being idiotic or lazy. Kids with a 1st - 4th grade reading level (the target demographic) are not capable of keeping up with fast paced subtitles. A lot of adults don't watch anime subs because they can't keep up.

Emerje

Perhaps you didn't understand me. They will bastardize Shinkenger. It's part of the process of bring the show here. They will strip every part of it and leave only the essentials to make it work. What I said was not incorrect. Then again, you never said that. You stated I didn't realize they where seperate shows. They are seperate shows. I never stated they were supposed to be the same show. I stated what Saban was going to do to it, because they will.

FYI, every PR is a bastardized version of the original. Thats how it works. Accept it or move on. I never once stated it was worse because of that. I insinuated Shinkenger would be worse because of that process, because it will be. Shinkenger is a series very set in Japanese mythology, including Samurai, Oni, etc etc.

I hope you hear yourself, by the way. Ryuki (Dragon Knight), while it did involve super powered knights, it still had a lot of Japanese aspects to it, including the use of various beasts of Japanese mythology, including Dragons (I know these aren't limited to Japan, but the ones used in Ryuki were based upon the Japanese version of the Dragon).

The problem with all of this is that these shows are being aimed at Children. While the same is true for Japan, a lot of teens and some adults watch these shows, too, and thats why the Japanese counterparts are just better, period. They realistically portray such things as death, love, etc etc. The american versions do very little justice in these matters.

I agree about the childrens reading level. Although that falls within what I previously said about teens and adults who watch this program.

Subtitles are very easy to read. It does take a little while to be able to read fast enough to keep up, but it is by no means hard. Personally, I find people that don't like subtitles lazy. I always prefer watching things in the original language, but thats just me.
Jkid

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 12:41 pm Reply with quote
OutlawGundam wrote:
What happened to afternoon cartoons? There is no Fox Kids or Toonami or even Meguzi anymore. So what do kids watch after school these days? I feel bad for kids today who don't even have cable, what is there for them to watch? When I was a kid it seemed like there was an abundance of cartoons. I could watch cartoons before school, after school, and every Saturday morning.

Watching cartoons and shows like Power Rangers were a big part of my childhood, and helped make me into the nerd I am today. It is depressing to think that kids these days are robbed of such experiences.

The Broadcasting TV networks decided that afternoon cartoons were less profitable for a variety of reasons. The main reason is competition from the cable and satellite channels. They think most kids have parents cable so they concentrate their efforts on Saturday. But even with all the positive advertisement in the change, it does not change the fact that some kids don't have cable or any other external entertainment options (video games, DVD, etc).

Essentally kids without cable get the following: Local tv news, court shows, sitcoms, talk shows. Unless they like PBS (If they are under 12, after 12 years old PBS instantly becomes too old for them.)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4