• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How would you improve english dubs?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Overlord

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:52 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
fokkusuhaundo wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Like I said this should be no concern for the voice talent. Their focus should be on line delivery and leave worrying about sync to the staff. The English VA is not saying what the Japanese VA said. The lines have been translated and adapted before the English VA gets the script.

Nope, they have to work with what they're given and record their performance within the time constraints of the mouth flap movements. They can't redo the animation to sync with the recorded English dub nor can they somehow edit the audio to sync with the timing of the mouth flaps.

Now compare that to voice acting in other media where the performances are recorded before any animation is done. No need to match your words to footage of your character on a screen, just read your lines out.

Okay then who is it that worries about the sync and match? The person spouting the lines or the person sitting down doing the recording.
The script writer focuses on creating the English script.
The ADR director records and focuses on the dialogue matching the animation. Gives director to the VAs on when to re-do lines, slower/faster/wording.
The VA acts. Will the VA have much liberty to ad-lib, nope.

There will be exceptions and there will be overlap. I am just staying what basically is done while some of you people are over emphasizing on the exceptions and overlap.

To repeat one answer to the topic question.
VAs should just be concerned with acting and not staff/production issues when they record.

Except what you don't understand is that matching the dialogue to the lip flaps still affects the performance of the actor, so making that workable is not just the responsibility of the production staff, it will always affect the performance, You could get Robert Downey Jr. to dub anime and his performance would affected by that. Bob Bergan has said as much and I'm pretty sure he knows more about voice acting then either of us. How would you know more about the dubbing process then someone who actually has done this before?

Let's look at Bergen's quote on the matter:

Bob Bergen wrote:

TZN: Do you think that there's much difference between the regular voice-over acting we think of, like being Porky Pig, versus, doing overdubbing or ADR (automated dialogue replacement or additional dialogue recording) for anime or for airline or broadcast movie retakes?

BERGEN: Well, acting is acting. It still has to be believable. The technique is different. With anime, with dubbing, you have to do several things at once. You have to read the line, match the sync, and act all at the same time. And quite often, the restrictions in anime that you have to fit the sync basically takes the acting freedom away from you. You have to act under their parameters.

TZN: How do those demands affect your performance?

BERGEN: The restrictions of staying in sync from somebody else's performance do hinder your creativity. You're not able to give the performance of what YOU would do, because you're limited to the parameters of matching sync. That said, you have to be a superb actor to be able to do that because you're not able to be as creatively free as you would in, say, an American animation. And I think anime actors are some of the best voice over actors out there because of this. The sad thing is that they're not paid for their expertise. They should be paid, I think, double what American animation pays because of all the restrictions and all the technical nuances that you have to perfect."

That's right from the Horse's mouth.

So clearly the production crew can't just magically make the dialogue fit the lip flaps, make sense and sound natural, because that's almost impossible to do at the production level.

Its like with live action acting, things besides the actor affect the performance, like the script, the direction, etc.

The actor doesn't live in a vaccum, they are affected by other factors.

Here's a little experiment, compare the voice acting in any 4Kids dub of anime to the voice acting in the 2003 TMNT cartoon, both use the same voice actors, but one is better voice acted then the other because pre-lay work is easier to do.

So there are factors in dubbing you are not taking into account.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:21 am Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:

***Blah blah blah***

This was concluded hours ago.
Hindering creativity is not the same as giving a poor performance. It just means he can't ham it up as much as he likes. He worded his quote very carefully as to not give the horrible conclusion you are offering. Dubbing anime is different and has some restrictions not found in regular VO work.
The Overlord

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The Overlord wrote:

***Blah blah blah***

Hindering creativity is not the same as giving a poor performance. It just means he can't ham it up as much as he likes. He worded his quote very carefully as to not give the horrible conclusion you are offering. Dubbing anime is different and has some restrictions not found in regular VO work.

No but hindering creativity can affect the level of a performance, hence pre-lay work being easier to do and it is something that can, its like been given a free hand vs. having to act with a ton restrictions on yourself.

He said dubbing was naturally more difficult noting that a VA dubbing does have to match the sync, as well as read the line and act it out, thus making it harder. How can you focus just on your performance when sync has to be a consideration?

I'm not saying you can't get a good performance out of a dub, I'm just saying its way harder to do this compared to other forms of voice acting and thus something that has to be taken into consideration.

It just seems like some don't seem to understand this as a factor that can affect a VA's performance.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:52 am Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
The Overlord wrote:

***Blah blah blah***

No but hindering creativity can affect the level of a performance, hence pre-lay work being easier to do and it is something that can, its like been given a free hand vs. having to act with a ton restrictions on yourself.

He said dubbing was naturally more difficult noting that a VA dubbing does have to match the sync, as well as read the line and act it out, thus making it harder. How can you focus just on your performance when sync has to be a consideration?

I'm not saying you can't get a good performance out of a dub, I'm just saying its way harder to do this compared to other forms of voice acting and thus something that has to be taken into consideration.

It just seems like some don't seem to understand this as a factor that can affect a VA's performance.

Easy; it was covered already. Matching sync is not their job and not their focus most of the time.
Your focus to magnify the issue leads to making a mountain out of a mole hill.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 5:21 am Reply with quote
Or your unwillingness to reason with the other user has basically resulted in the stagnation of this discussion. Many users counter your point, the professionals who actually do the work have countered your point, and yet you insist and demand that you be right and are responding with little more than "nuh uh, I'm right and you're wrong". If this type of cyclical discussion that goes nowhere is where we're at, then it's time to move on.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:16 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Keep in mind what you feel is inane can come across as boring to others, me in this case.

Either your word choice leaves something to be desired here or your focus is off. I was referring to the "VAs sound bored on the commentary track" comment, not whether or not the commentary tracks themselves were boring. (I suppose some might equate the two, but they aren't the same thing.)

But getting back to the original point, the one way I could see dubs improving is to broaden the talent pool a little. There were some signs of this happening back in the months leading up to Geneon's collapse (i.e. right around the time that the market started constricting) but I've heard very few fresh voices since then.

(And please note that this is a wish for increased variety rather than an admonition on the quality of the current voice acting pool.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:14 pm Reply with quote
The Overlord wrote:
Heck it seems like Steve Blum hardly dubs anime nowadays.

Ha don't worry he still does plenty of dubs. In the past couple of years he's done Code Geass, Afro Samurai: Resurrection, Gurren Lagann, he does allot of work on the Naruto dub, even that Dante's Inferno anime. Over all he's still out there working in anime. And lets not forget that he tends to do work under an alias during his non-union rolls.

I'm not attacking your points or anything, in fact I tend to agree with you. I'm just letting you know that Steven Jay Blum is still around.

As for what I think about all of this, I'd have to say I wouldn't change to much about dubs. The English dubs that we find today aren't bad, in fact I would even call them good. The dubing industry has come a long way since the days of Violence Jack. The dubbing process has become much more refined over the years. And the companies are trying all they can to bend over backwards to please, not just the fans, but often the Japanese companies who made the anime. People need to give these dubbing companies a break for once and let them do their job. They're the professionals, we're just people complaining about little, unimportant, mistakes.

That said, it's not like I think all dubs are done well. Honestly there are plenty of dubs out there that could use some work. I really didn't like the Lucky Star dub, I thought the voice actors used weren't very good fits for the rolls. Then again the Japanese voices actors in Lucky Star had un-godly high pitched voices so maybe it's impossible to get the right voices for a show like that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Keonyn wrote:
Or your unwillingness to reason with the other user has basically resulted in the stagnation of this discussion. Many users counter your point, the professionals who actually do the work have countered your point, and yet you insist and demand that you be right and are responding with little more than "nuh uh, I'm right and you're wrong". If this type of cyclical discussion that goes nowhere is where we're at, then it's time to move on.

I have no way of countering that user as it will only lead to pages and pages of someone asking to be convinced but not really wanting to be convinced. The brief interlude with that poster was more about telling him to play catchup with the actual flow of the thread.That user brought up a quote that was covered and concluded later in the thread.

There was only one example of a professional VA talking about the some of differences he has experienced with anime dubbing. Since the interview was not actually about anime dubbing it can easily be countered or just discounted because those two questions don't have much detail to them.
The people disagreeing with me about ADRs not being able to match mouth flaps to words are wrong, someone else point that out.
Quote:
What is the actual recording process like? How long does it take?

Rather than having everyone in the same room, the actors are recorded one at the time, so that you and the director can concentrate on your part. The dialogue is recorded directly onto a hard drive. After mixing, it's digitally transferred to the original Japanese D-2 tape. On the computer, the lines can be: adjusted to fit the mouth movements, reverbed, have the levels raised or lowered, and cut and pasted the best pieces of a speech. I believe I heard that recording ideally takes a day per running minute on average. This time includes auditioning/casting, formatting of scripts, checking time codes, tape and script duplications for the actors, studio scheduling and "character development." Which is what made me so surprised to hear that the entire 90 or so episodes of Robotech were done in just 3 months!!!

Now about some writer duties;
Quote:
How do the difference in the languages affect the way lines are written and acted (in your case, and in general)? Do you have any particular insights or thoughts on the process of translating spoken Japanese into spoken English?

I hope that you get a chance to meet Shin, our script translator, because he could explain this so much better than I could. With the Japanese language being so much different than the English language, of course words have to be moved around to form a normal English sentence... some words have to be added. "Tree" in Japanese isn't necessarily "Tree" in English. Then there are the changes to make the lines fit the character's mouth movements, and then the jokes and puns and references that sometimes have to be almost totally rewritten to make sense to the American audience. The director makes a big deal out of paying close attention to the looks on the faces of the character in order to try and come as close as possible to the emotions in the lines to match these expressions.

Take from an interview with Brian Hinnant. Note he is not that prolific but this article is actually about anime dubbing.
http://animeworld.com/essays/bhinnantinterview.html

It doesn't sound as arduous as or extra task heavy for the VA as Bergen or some people in this thread are insisting. Different jobs have different focuses and sometimes there will be overlap.

Quote:

Either your word choice leaves something to be desired here or your focus is off. I was referring to the "VAs sound bored on the commentary track" comment, not whether or not the commentary tracks themselves were boring. (I suppose some might equate the two, but they aren't the same thing.)

How about both. Their discussion on the track sounds boring or if you want a more complex synonym, inane.
Depending on the amount of people doing the commentary anywhere from 2-5 people. A couple of them usually sound like they are bored.
If you want to do a critical review the two are certainly different. I am just offering my review only as a casual viewer, the two are more or less the same from my standpoint.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
That said, it's not like I think all dubs are done well. Honestly there are plenty of dubs out there that could use some work. I really didn't like the Lucky Star dub, I thought the voice actors used weren't very good fits for the rolls. Then again the Japanese voices actors in Lucky Star had un-godly high pitched voices so maybe it's impossible to get the right voices for a show like that.

Interesting you mentioned that one. On a website where Japanese fans can comment on English dubs, the dub of Lucky Star was widely praised, and most actually preferred the English version of Tsukasa over the Japanese version, and also saying the English voice for Mikuru was a perfect fit. IIRC, Akira's dub voice (especially the radical difference between her "happy" and "grouchy" moods) was also praised.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:22 am Reply with quote
^ Heh. I trust the opinion of Japanese fanboys about as much as I trust the opinion of American fanboys.

I'd say: more money -> better actors -> profit.

Also, is there some online resource where dubs are rated and can be easily compared? I say this because I generally dislike dubs, but I have heard a few good ones (Air Master was a little-known goody, shame it cancelled), and I'd like to know where to find the gold amongst the dross.
RHachicho

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:25 am Reply with quote
You know this might be a bit of a sidetrack. But do you think that alot of the coolness we see in subs is because someone always sounds a bit more mysterious and dramatic. When you can't actually tell what they are saying? Not that Japanese isn't a beautiful language .. because it is. But it makes you wonder if perhaps the Japanese see more inherent coolness and/or mystique in the english language than we do. Having trodden it into our brains groove every damn day for all of our lives.

I have lately started really examining the english language that I use and it's actually startling how much it sounds like german when you dissasociate yourself from it. Which I have always thaught of as a very dramatic language.

Well anyway enough Sidetrack just thaught I would mention that.
catstigereye

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:04 am Reply with quote
its the emotions in the voice. I can hear it in some not all of the sub's when it's needed. I can not hear it in the dub side of things much of the time no matter how much its called for.

I also think that more voice actor's need to cross lines instead of the way it works now. I have some that are in English and could list a great voice cast for a show but they would come from east and west.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 12:49 pm Reply with quote
So it is not just me having a problem hearing emotion in some dubs, what a relief.
English is my native language but some English dub tracks just don't have the emotion the Japanese track has.
Olivine

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:46 pm Reply with quote
1. Stop pronouncing Japanese names/words super properly.
The dub actor will be talking normally, but then they go into 'japanese word mode' and talk with robotic precision until they finish the japanese word. It doesn't sound natural at all.

2. Pronounce japanese names/words with an English accent instead.
I cringe every time I hear the 'Japanese r' sound being used in an English sentence. That sound doesn't even exist in English. It sounds completely awkward. Its better for them to just pronounce japanese r's the same way English pronounces its r's. Dub's used to be ok in this respect. I remember in the Nadesico dub, there was a character named Ruri, and they always pronounced her name with the english r's. It sounded natural. Now everything is pronounced with the japanese robot accent and it is really irritating.

3. Male dub actors always sound like they are whispering.
Why? Why are they always so breathy and whispery? I don't get it. Talk normally!

4. Female dub actors voices are too deep.
Shana from Shakugan no Shana is not a 40-year old lady. Yet, thats exactly how Shana's english VA sounds. Get voice actors that have greater range of voice.

5. Add more emotion.
Seriously. English dubs are lacking here. Emotional scenes generally just sound melodramatic in the dub.

6. Morgan Freeman.
No explanation needed.
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 2:59 pm Reply with quote
RHachicho wrote:
You know this might be a bit of a sidetrack. But do you think that alot of the coolness we see in subs is because someone always sounds a bit more mysterious and dramatic. When you can't actually tell what they are saying? Not that Japanese isn't a beautiful language .. because it is. But it makes you wonder if perhaps the Japanese see more inherent coolness and/or mystique in the english language than we do. Having trodden it into our brains groove every damn day for all of our lives.

I have lately started really examining the english language that I use and it's actually startling how much it sounds like german when you dissasociate yourself from it. Which I have always thaught of as a very dramatic language.

Well anyway enough Sidetrack just thaught I would mention that.

Welll that's because German and English are related languages and share words and grammar structure. English just adopts words from other languages (Otaku for example or Hospital as another) And is different when compared to say the Romantic languages (French, Spanish, Italian )

It just makes me sad when people say the English voice cast can't emote, they are but most are hung up on the Japanese version to notice it. Besides emoting is one aspect of acting and such that really anyone can do it with minimal training and I do so in my other hobbies frequently, however my performance depends on more than just that, it needs to be "real" for lack of a better term, or be believable and to move my players in the direction I want them to, to feel the appropriate response from the situation. I feel that for the most part English dubs accomplish this at about the same rate as the Japanese dubs.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5