• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Staff Infection

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starvtwalker

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I just wanted to say, Brian Hanson has one of the awesomest voices ever. It's super deep and makes it sound like everything he says is going to be sarcastic. I just want to listen to him read Alice in Wonderland or Winnie the Pooh, something with a lot of wit and ridiculousness. Those would be awesome audio books, and I hate audio books.

And I wanted to say I am 100% with Noah on Avatar. I came out of that just in utter disgust and I felt like I had seen too many movies compared to the average person.

Anyways, this was the first podcast I listened to and it was cool. I had a lot of fun. I'm not really a podcasting kind of person. Maybe if this was on video or something; if they were all around a table discussing things, like in newsweeks oscar roundtable, something like that I would definitely watch. But I might listen to this again. I think its because I have a hard time doing something else while listening to a podcast since I have to pay attention to follow, but I also feel restless because im only listening and not doing anything else with the rest of me. I'm sure it would be too much work, but adding really cheap stick figure animations to this would still work for me. Too much? Well, whatever, I liked it.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Just in case somebody else makes the same point Penguin_Factory did, let me just say that I was in no way denying that an education in any field will give you an advantage in knowledge and appreciation over somebody who has not studied that subject. That's a given. I think there is a way to demonstrate that superior learning in an unobjectionable way that does not involve false modesty.

I should also point out that I felt bad about the obnoxious way I expressed myself yesterday and contacted Zac offboard to convey that. He was very gracious in reply, as I have always found him to be when approached in a reasonable manner.

I'll follow that up with an onboard apology to Erin. Sorry, E, but that "like" thing is very distracting to me once I become aware of it. I know how hard it is to get rid of a verbal tic and we've all got 'em. I should have made my point in a way more constructive and polite manner.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:45 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
I do not think Brian realized that Birdy Decode on Hulu is the second season. Hulu does not have the first season up for some reason. Funimation site does. It explains the situation between Senkawa and Birdy better than just watching it in the middle of the show.

Funimation also has season1 up at Youtube/Funimation

How and why they decide some things go on Funimation.com, Hulu and YouTube, some at one or two but not all three, I have no information ... but I'd speculate it could be due to the details of license royalty terms and differences in how the ad revenue and support costs play out for the different streaming distribution channels.
archaron

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Nice job on the show, it was a lot of fun to get to know the staff at ANN. Its been a while since I have had the free time to listen and thanks for a fun show.
braves

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 8:53 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
Almaz wrote:
I do not think Brian realized that Birdy Decode on Hulu is the second season. Hulu does not have the first season up for some reason. Funimation site does. It explains the situation between Senkawa and Birdy better than just watching it in the middle of the show.

Funimation also has season1 up at Youtube/Funimation
Birdy Season 1 is on Hulu too. I just watched the first episode yesterday; good stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:01 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Birdy Season 1 is on Hulu too. I just watched the first episode yesterday; good stuff.

So it does ... I hadn't even checked the claim. Now that I've looked, don't see how someone could miss it, since it stretching straight back on one row through to the start of season 1.

Great, my little netbook gets along better with Hulu's player than Youtube's for whatever reason.
Almaz

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
agila61 wrote:
braves wrote:

So it does ... I hadn't even checked the claim. Now that I've looked, don't see how someone could miss it, since it stretching straight back on one row through to the start of season 1.

Great, my little netbook gets along better with Hulu's player than Youtube's for whatever reason.

Unless I was totally blind a few days ago, only the first episode of the second season was up. Now everything is up except episode 15, the newest. That one is on Funimation's site.

Hero's Tale is being streamed through Funimation via Hulu, but you (haven't looked lately) cannot find the show on Hulu. It is looking like Funimation is going to use Hulu more. I generally watch shows at Funimation's site since the newest shows end up there first. However, I do like the video quality at Hulu more than Funimation.

FYI. I don't know if you are aware. If you are watching the videos via Adobe Flash, there is a beta version which help video streaming. You do need a supported video chip and updated video drivers. I can watch HD video from Youtube and Cruchyroll with the setup. The video was dropping frames without the beta version.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:37 am Reply with quote
moe ≠ loli
moe ≠ loli
moe ≠ loli
moe ≠ loli
moe ≠ loli

Do you need any clarification on this?

PetrifiedJello wrote:
But this leads me to another question which anyone at ANN can answer if they choose to. I'd like to know how "loli" or even some "moe" has become "wank fest" material. Do you peep in windows while fans are watching, get word on the street, or are just making a huge assumption?

Um, perhaps you're not familiar with the origin of the term "loli". It derives from Nabokov's novel Lolita, about a professor who seduces a young girl (aged 12 in the book). The name Lolita quickly entered the lexicon as a term for an underage female sex object. It's a standard term in pron, both for fantasy works using actresses of legal age, and for actual child pron. The term's use in Japan is very similar - if someone is "lolicon", they have a "Lolita complex", that is they are sexually focused on young girls. So loli manga/anime/games are wank material, by definition.
Pixy Misa

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:35 am Reply with quote
I can't believe I registered to defend Popotan. Confused

I can absolutely understand why it would make you uncomfortable. It's based on an H-game with an under-age character (which I didn't know when I originally watched it).

But the show is, against all odds, actually good. The writers ditched everything from the game except the character designs and the dandelion motif and came up with their own story, and the story works. There's genuine tension and character growth and all that stuff.

I don't blame you if you can't get past the squick factor, but if you do, there's a good show in there.

And the closing credits are awesome (and the closing theme is a terrible earworm).
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quote
Pixy Misa wrote:
I don't blame you if you can't get past the squick factor, but if you do, there's a good show in there.

I can't agree there's a good show here.

I agree there is a little character growth, and the premise is good, but the story was given the backseat in lieu of all the bath scenes and fanservice. After the credits rolled, viewers were left with too many questions which the series never addressed.

Erin stated if all the crotch scenes were removed from Strike Witches, the series would be half as long. I laughed because the same thing could be applied to Popotan if all the bath scenes were removed.

I'd give the series an "A" for its unique story of a house floating through time, but an "F" for everything else, including the fanservice scenes. Too much of anything is always bad.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:34 am Reply with quote
Pixy Misa wrote:
[snip]
But the show is, against all odds, actually good.

Here's my review. The production values were OK, but there was no ending.

Blood- wrote:
I'll follow that up with an onboard apology to Erin. Sorry, E, but that "like" thing is very distracting to me once I become aware of it. I know how hard it is to get rid of a verbal tic and we've all got 'em. I should have made my point in a way more constructive and polite manner.

It's OK, I recognized your icon as someone who's usually constructive. Plus I can identify with you - when I first started podcasting it really bothered me how many times Noah said "Uh". Once I cut and pasted all the "Uhs" from a show into one long track, like a song. Nowadays I'm over it.

Also if you met me when I was 11 I said "like" all the time.
Pixy Misa

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:07 am Reply with quote
erinfinnegan wrote:
Pixy Misa wrote:
[snip]
But the show is, against all odds, actually good.

Here's my review.

Your review is wrong, and you are a bad person. No, wait, that's what I said to Gerald for not liking Princess Tutu.

You don't like the show - I can understand that. But to dismiss the story as you did is, well... Oh, what the heck, this is Popotan, not Miyazaki. I summed it up on my own blog as epitomising the phrase "better than it has any right to be". I like it a lot, but I do recognise that its origins stuck it with a big yellow biohazard label.

Quote:
The production values were OK, but there was no ending.

The ending worked fine for me, but de mala gustibus in aeternum disputandum.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
Unless I was totally blind a few days ago, only the first episode of the second season was up. Now everything is up except episode 15, the newest. That one is on Funimation's site.

And on YouTube/funimation.

I don't see anywhere that Hulu gives the date of the upload, but the first episode of season 1 was on YouTube in January.

So its seems that starting with season 2, they decided to add it to their Hulu channel with a short delay, and were still uploading the first season when you saw episode 14 go up.

The delay could be on Hulu's side, or could suggest they get more net revenue from YouTube and from their site than from Hulu.
Pixy Misa

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:19 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
I'd give the series an "A" for its unique story of a house floating through time, but an "F" for everything else, including the fanservice scenes. Too much of anything is always bad.

That's pretty much it. I was able to ignore the fanservice and enjoy the house-floating-through-time, and Mai's story in particular.

I've bounced off other shows that came highly recommended, and for equally subjective and probably less valid reasons, so I can't argue with people who don't like Popotan. Well, I could, but they'd have to form a line. But as you said, there is something there.

And I'll forgive the show almost anything simply because the second dandelion from the right is half a beat behind the rest.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:23 am Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
moe ≠ loli
moe ≠ loli
moe ≠ loli
moe ≠ loli
moe ≠ loli

Do you need any clarification on this?

But quite often loli = subset(moe)

Fans of moe in general ought to join the wish that lolicon would never get licensed, to avoid getting tarred with the same brush.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10