• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You III: Die Hard with a View-geance

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gasero

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Is it just me or is the topic for every week the "fall" of something?

I'm starting to think that one day the international anime industry might just implode and cease to exist
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote
You can donate DVDs to libraries, or more specifically, university libraries. Or maybe find an anime club to give them to. Better alternatives than tossing them out anyway. My school's library had quite a bit of theatrical anime, including stuff like Gunbuster and Macross.

I love the Area 88 OVA, one of my top five. Could definitely use a BluRay remaster, unlike Bubblegum Crisis. I've watched a bit of the BluRay of those, and the HD definitely doesn't it help it much, just makes all the flaws more visible, and grain bigger.

Funny you mention Kawajiri, I just went through Demon City Shinjuku, Goku Midnight Eye, Wicked City, and Neo Tokyo all this week. Very detailed stuff for the most part, the content is very 80s though. As far as being a new fan and digging into the 80s, I've only been doing anime heavily for about 3 and a half years, but I was influenced by stuff on Sci-Fi saturday mornings back in the late 90s. There's actually quite a few people like this, probably just not on these forums or at conventions.

Last edited by walw6pK4Alo on Sat May 22, 2010 1:08 am; edited 3 times in total
Ryojen

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:08 pm Reply with quote
These title puns keep getting worse and worse. Shocked

Still an awesome podcast, though.
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:09 pm Reply with quote
HOLY CRAP! The length of this episode! I don't think you've gone on like this since the Carl Macek episode (RIP)!
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Hooray! New ANNCast. Glad to see Mike joining ANN, and hooray for our awesome con chair Lissa being on the show Smile Now off to listen, and add more commentary......
Pants

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:43 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Pants wrote:
Raijin-Oh is on Right Stuf.

Ohh, I stand corrected! Guess I know what's getting added to MY next order... Wink
Greggo

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:24 pm Reply with quote
As someone who's hosted game shows at anime conventions for over a decade...

They can be a huge draw if, like Otafest's Name That Tune, they've got momentum from previous years. Good shows get good attendance year after year, and Eryn's one of the better anime convention game show hosts, and probably the only other good Anime Match Game host.

It's really hard to put entertainment in front of fans these days. You never know what's going to bring in people. This year I've hosted game shows that have had 150 or so people in attendance, and then I've also hosted game shows that have had 10. You just never know.

I tried Name That Tune at Naka-Kon this year and the crowd (about 150 people) liked it, but I tried to run it classic-style and it totally didn't work. The way Eryn runs it is pretty much the best way to do it.

Justin was on my very first Anime Match Game back at A-Kon in 1999, for the record. Smile
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Gon was published by DC in the 90's under their Paradigim Press label, and CMX's reissue was basically that edition, unflipped, so it was a new edition of material they already had the rights for, with I think one new volume. Which may be where the DH ed. misconception's from.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I should also point out that Dunbine gave rise to Banpresto Originals, as Cybuster was created because Banpresto wanted to include Dunbine in Super Robot Wars 2 but just created Cybuster instead. That's why Cybuster's story is so similar to Dunbine.

I would also love to hear the FMA Brotherhood Animax dub, especially to see if they have Olivier Mira Armstrong to have a russian voice too.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Crusher Joe, huh? I may check it out, just to hear this supposedly great English dub by a studio that I've never heard of.

I'm running out of space for my anime physical media, too. I usually put my stuff in these plastic drawers and I have three sets of them practically filled with anime. The DBZ Dragon Boxes are killing the space I have left. I set aside some space for FMA: Brotherhood, but I don't know if I have room for that.

I love Mike Toole, even if he does likes soccer. He always has interesting things to say. I can hardly wait for his column for ANN. He's probably my favorite anime commentator.

I've been meaning to watch more non-Gundam Tomino stuff. I haven't seen much of Dunbine or L-Gaim. I really ought to get to them, because they do have a certain charm to them (unlike Ideon, which is just awkward). Dunbine supposedly has a horrifically bad dub, thanks to Mr. Macek, so I'd rather avoid the dub.

Aw man, I want to hear the Animax dub of FMA: Brotherhood! Not that I think it'll be better than Funimation's (which I'm not a huge fan of, either), but it sounds like it would be hilariously fun.

Bubblegum Crisis is unabashedly 80s, both in the style and ultraviolence, but it's definitely a treasure, at least to me, to this day. Episodes 5 and 6 are two of the best episodes of anime I've ever seen. And the voice acting and music are awesome. And I didn't get into BGC until the mid to late nineties, by the way.

Castle of Cagliostro is very un-Lupin-ish, for a Lupin III movie. It's more of a child's storybook with a slight Lupin flavor. It's beautiful to look at, and has this warm quality to it, but otherwise, it's very misleading about the franchise.

Tenchi is rough, but Tank Police is great? Give me a break. Tenchi wasn't a masterpiece, but it blows Tank Police out of the water. Tank Police is fun, but it's dumber than a brick. I think Tenchi is a bit more creative, even if Kajishima dropped the ball later on.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri May 21, 2010 11:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Greggo

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Furthermore, and I say this with my tongue firmly in my cheek and a sly grin on my face:

By his tone, someone at ANN needs to make a bet with Zac, the conditions being that Zac appear on a game show as a celebrity guest if he loses, and needs to make sure that he loses.

Seriously, though...love ya man.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:
Gon was published by DC in the 90's under their Paradigim Press label

Paradox Press, actually.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I would also love to hear the FMA Brotherhood Animax dub, especially to see if they have Olivier Mira Armstrong to have a russian voice too.

I think the Animax dub only covered the first 26 episodes, so Gen. Armstrong hadn't shown up yet. Chances are Animax will eventually finish up their own dub rather than licensing Funimation's, given their recent track record of dubbing shows that were already dubbed by Funi. (I think the original FMA was the only Funi dub they ever aired.)
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:57 pm Reply with quote
Pro-tip to Justin: You're in L.A. Amoeba Records is your friend for selling your old discs. Wink Oh, and I agree that the OVAs for 'Joe suck. I do like the movie, however, even though the Dirty Pair short's the only thing with replay value. But yeah, I do remember hearing the dub once, and it's not just accurate, but they actually made the characters sound like a late 70s/early 80s American sci-fi show. [Think Buck Rogers, original Battle Star Galactica, etc.] As for UK dubs, check out the one for the Cobra movie. They changed the theme song. Moving on to SF2V, I liked it up until about the half-way point.

"The pop music [for BGC] isn't doing it any favors."

The music's the only reason I even care about that series. In fact, I always wished they put out a domestic CD.

"No one wants to look like Lupin or Zenigata."

What about Inspector Gadget and Nabeshin? Laughing

"Tenchi is rough by anyone's standards."

It was always overrated. Poeple only watched it because of the production values.

"Wicked City holds up."

Especially on a movie screen.

Mike: Have to say the Area 88 OVA hasn't aged entirely well, but I generally liked it for what it was-moreso than Megazone, anyway.
My only familiarity with the series was the arcade game, but I did get into it through the remake. Almost makes me wish I got the manga in its original run, even though it never got finished.

Zac: "The [UY] comics are way funnier[than the anime]."

First person I've ever heard say that. Most UY fans swear by the anime as the superior version. But hey, as long as we're gonna go by series which haven't held up well, I really don't like Maison Ikkoku's second half, partly because of its darker tone, and partly because of Nikaido. [Oh, and I'll be in the minority and argue that those deleted chapters actually hurt the momentum of the story, since they make the characters come off less sympathetic.] I might finish MI one day, just for completion's sake, but it really does its damnedest to be a downer in that arc. Honey and Clover can get away with being depressing, because it has more balance in tone.

"I didn't think [Mendou] was funny on the show."

Don't worry. He gets awesome.

"I don't know anyone who's seen the entire run of [Ranma]."

I'm just surprised the manga is as long as it is. It probably had something to do with that industry's bubble, too.

Paploo: Allegedly, there was stuff which was censored or out of order in the original U.S. run of Gon, so this is the complete edition.

As for GoComi, they always felt like this generation's Iron Cat: desperately trying to fit in, but not doing enough to stand out from the pack.

penguin: I'll only agree with you on New Dominion. The old series, though, was totally fun for its time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6