• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Viewers Like You III: Die Hard with a View-geance

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:33 am Reply with quote
Guests I want to see on ANNCast:

Michael Sinterniklaas, specifically as a counterpoint to the Eric Sherman interview (head of east coast NYAV Post).

Kenji Ebato, to grill him on Toei's "strategy" (or lack thereof). There's a perfect time to have him on, too, sometime in the future...

"freya", a highly opinionated "modern" fansubber.

Patrick W. Galbraith, one of the most intelligent people studying "otaku" in an academic sense. Also probably knows more about Akihabara than anyone outside of Danny Choo. Speaking of which, Danny Choo would be a cool guest.
larinon

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:35 am Reply with quote
re: the caller Jim

I believe the wall that people run into in Ranma 1/2 is called Happosai. I lasted three seasons and decided to call it quits there. I enjoy it -- primarily the first two seasons, which for the most part are mercifully Happosai-free -- but it reached a point where I just couldn't take it any more. I don't know if it was the character himself or the situations that he was involved in. I felt it just got really old and repetitive.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
I haven't listened to whole thing yet, but I need to chime in on this:

Zac, brace yourself. Not only do I own all 7 seven season sets of Ranma, not only have I watched all 161 episodes, but I got through it all in 94 days. I've also watched both movies, but have yet to see the OVAs. I know we don't directly know each other, but now you can say you indirectly know someone who has seen all of it.

My personal wall was season 5. I made it that far before I started thinking it was getting old, but I held out because I loved Richard Ian Cox's performance as Ranma. I actually loved that whole dub once Sarah Strange left and it really helped in keeping me interested. I also think season 5 is when they starting making up absurd martial arts like the tea ceremony (which I hated, too) and the one that involved games. I did, however, enjoy the cheerleading martial arts. Season 5 is also when that goddamn, Hawaiian shirt wearing, keke spouting, bowl cut enthusiast, palm tree on his head son of a bitch principal was introduced. I HATE HIM! Calling it right now: Worst character ever.

On a whole, though, I really enjoyed Ranma because even the sloggish seasons of 5-7 had a lot of highlights that balanced out the lowlights.

larinon wrote:
I believe the wall that people run into in Ranma 1/2 is called Happosai.

If you stick with it, he starts to disappear. There will be 10-20 episode spurts where he's either really minimal or completely absent from the show, comes back for 2-3 episodes and then disappears back into the abyss. I despised Happosai as well, but I do love yelling "What a haul!" at random.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fallen Wings

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 8:26 am Reply with quote
I think I already like this new column and Mike Wink

Actually I enjoyed Area 88 as well. And I didn't even know about the Area 88 episodes getting a rough ride ...

But I quite enjoyed Lex Lang's and Steve Blum's voices for Harlock - I guess I have to hunt it down.

I can't wait to check out this old school dubs that time forgot. You have to have the horrible Galaxy Express 999 dub.

With Tochiro changing to - Sundown McMoon
And Tetsuro changing to - Joey Hanakanabobakananda-smith (No ... that is what he says - really)
And Maetel's voice drops five octaves below the average female voice.

In fact => http://www.anime-games.co.uk/VHS/anime/galaxy-express-corman.php

He has a MASSIVE collection of old VHS dubs ... and I would have linked you the sliced up collection of the old GE999 dub that he posted - but someone complained about one video and his whole account was taken down. Even though the videos were WAY out of print ....

I would like to argue with you on that one. Wicked City - heck was a very pretty movie - but the characters and lack of flow, story and scenes without sex - make it entirely unwatchable.

I think it was a very unfair trade off. "Here you can borrow Now and Then, Here and there" "Yeah and you can borrow my Wicked City! It's brilliant!"

And like I have posted at least once on here before.

If you think he is weird for doing that you might as well check me out.

I got into anime around the age of 12/13 - when I stumbled across an image of the old OVA of Mermaid forest (Going through 30 Plus pages of "forest" will get you somewhere)

My first anime I made my parents hunt down and buy for me was Vision of Escaflowne (Christmas - 13 years of age)

By 14 first convention and turn-in-movie-critic over the (horrible) movie 'Juno'.

Age 15, got into Harlock through convention. Bought Star Blazers box set etc. Got into old school anime.

Now - 17 hate most of what is coming out of Japan. Really hate most popular series. And lingers around "Box" subs (People who specifically hunt down out-of-print VHS and sub them) and considering if I should spend the large amount of money and the postage and handling on "Arei no Kagami", "Saint Elmo" or "The Chocolate Panic Show" from Yahoo! Auctions.

Yep. Pretty weeeeiiiirrrdddd ... if you don't mind saying myself.

And DON'T. READ. RINNE. Oh god. The basic shounen bull crap over and over again. Really, really bad. You can read it but you will groan in pain. And her expressions? They have the same expressions over and over and over again ...

And I don't like her normal work ... But Mermaid Forest wasn't too bad ...
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:34 am Reply with quote
I just adore Toradora. I'm really happy to hear that Zac's enjoying it! Smile

Man...I really wanna watch Utena, but I just can't afford to pay $500 for an anime series these days. I was too young to buy it back when it first came out and now I guess I'm just SOL. Boo.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:48 am Reply with quote
Good show the part on the relevance of 80s Anime was really interesting and caused me to reflect on what got me into Anime originally and I can say practically everything I watched when I was first getting into Anime (mostly Shōnan, Samurai and Horror Anime) I cant stand most of it anymore. As far as Tenchi goes the original Tenchi Muyo series will always have a soft spot in my heart. As far as CMX goes I never heard of them until I got the news that they went out of business. So it's sad (it kind of feels like why am I just now learning about this.) Especially since as it was said in the podcast they published a lot of Shojo Manga and I love Shojo Manga. Sadly it looks like there website is not even listed or running on DC's website anymore (at least when I checked).
zawa113

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:53 am Reply with quote
Hah, your comment about Bubblegum Crisis on Blu-Ray reminds me why I got Robotech in the 80s broadcast version DVDs instead of the remastered Protoculture collection. I'd gotten the first 4 discs on vacation in 80s version (unaware at the time that it was far longer than 24 episodes) and then borrowed my friend's Protoculture collection set to finish initially watching the show and went "y'know, cleaning up this show isn't actually helping it, the fuzz on the 80s broadcast version kinda hid some of the minor errors here and there and even made that horribly animated fight scene between Max and Miriya look not quite as bad." I don't see why everyone thinks they need to remaster older anime, it doesn't necessarily help it and I think a slightly lower video quality adds an old-school kinda of charm to it. It tends to just make animation flaws a bit more obvious which just detracts from the show, it's why I try to buy only non-remastered stuff now.
braves

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:58 am Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken, this is the second time that Zac has had an incredulous response to the suggestion that the Digimon movies Hosoda directed were good. While I understand being skeptical about it, I'd would be happy if skeptics would at least try out one of the movies to see how good or bad they are for themselves. Digimon Adventure (movie) is only 20 minutes long, while Bokura no War Game is about 45 minutes long. You won't have to sit through the usual set-up that's usually involved in movies that are based off of long-running franchises, nor do you have to invest that much time into them-- and quite frankly, I believe the payoff is more than worth it. You can easily find subs for the movies; I wouldn't suggest sitting through that awful dub.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 10:56 am Reply with quote
Though I don't think it was fantastic, Fushigi Yuugi's anime will always have a special place in my heart. It at the time was one of the first anime targeting girls I could get my hands on at age 12, and that alone made it special to me. Now, I just laugh my butt off at the dub, which holds a lot of sentimental value for me and my friends, much like ADV's dub of Nadesico.

"Tamahomeeeee~ Miaka~! Taaaamaaaaaahoooooomeeeeee!~"

That said, I won't deny my love for the Fushigi Yuugi manga.

I'm a chick, and I LOVED Goldenboy in middle school. I really can't explain why, but... Study study study!

I've got to disagree with the Ruimoko Takahashi comment about her just rehashing stuff. I'm not a huge fan of hers, but Mermaid Saga was different than what I was used to with her, and I loved every minute of it.

The Utena panels I've been to usually have a good 10-20 die hard fans, mostly girls. Last panel I went to was in Metrocon, Tampa and it was focused on the symbolism, and was a really fun panel. And yes, I believe the lack of popularity is connected to availablility. They're all out of print. I was a freshman in high school when the Sailor Moon, Utena, and Cardcaptor Sakura dvds came out, and I could only buy a couple here and there. In the end I just have a bunch of random volumes, some are official VHS releases, and I'd really love to buy the complete series of any of these titles.

I'd love to see an Utena remake with a nicer budget. Half my friends refuse to watch it mainly because the Zettai Unmei Mokushirioku bit when Utena walks up the stairs. It for some reason drives them nuts. I don't understand why they can't just fast forward.

Sailor Moon's fandom is still strong and kicking depending on where you look on the net, with thriving fan communities, and the live action series a few years back just helped keep it alive. No idea how much longer the fan communities will last now though without any new stuff in the franchise, but the license holders seem to be loosening up if the revival of the show in Italy is anything to go by, complete with new toy rights, art, and DVDs.

If anything, the Sailor Moon fans of my generation are now approaching their mid to late 20s, and are becoming mothers. Sailor Moon is a show we'd like to share with any little girls we may have. Sailor Moon is just this stand out cartoon of our childhood, anime or not. Heck, I can name two girls I knew when I was little, who have kids now, and 1 named their daughter Serenity, and the other named their daughter Serena. They aren't even anime fans. I'm not even that nutty of a fan to name my kids after something like that, but it just goes to show the sentimental value of that series.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:05 am Reply with quote
I loved Toradora. I'm pretty happy with the pictures posted so far of the box, cover art, and booklet, and have it preordered. I really liked the way the characters were portrayed; they were interesting and not cookie cutter at all. One of my favorite series.

Ranma 1/2 was the first anime I saw, and I managed to get the first season on VHS. I thought it was hilarious. I also watched the movies, which I liked, just because of the better production values, and the fact that the second movie used the Peach Boy fairy tale, which is one of my favorite stories while growing up. So that was more of a nostalgia thing, really, than any compelling story telling. However, I haven't really watched past the first season, since after watching the movies, I noticed the characters hadn't really gone anywhere, so I asked someone who was familiar with the whole series, and they said that nothing ever happened, and I completely lost interest.

I tried watching Inuyasha because my friend said it was awesome, but I saw that necklace explode in a bazillion pieces and they said they had to get all the pieces back, and I said I wasn't watching any more.

Haha, re: Fushigi Yuugi, that was the first anime I watched after Ranma 1/2 (after Ranma, I didn't know what else to watch, so I took about a five year break from anime). And I remember loving it on first viewing (2001). I later got some friends to watch it (2004), and I remember flinching slightly on the rewatch after I had other anime to compare it to, and being slightly bemused at my past enthusiasm for it. Although probably a small part of me will always like it, just for getting me full into anime.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, the thing with Rumiko Takahashi is her "Main plot" story is the same in her works (or near enough with a small tweak), and what makes or breaks the series is the side characters. And the problem with her more recent works is that her casts have been getting smaller and smaller. Urusei Yatsura had a large diverse cast and Inu Yasha realistically only had maybe 6 or 7 notable characters, and the main 2 are always variations on a theme.
lys

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:
As far as CMX goes I never heard of them until I got the news that they went out of business. So it's sad (it kind of feels like why am I just now learning about this.) Especially since as it was said in the podcast they published a lot of Shojo Manga and I love Shojo Manga. Sadly it looks like there website is not even listed or running on DC's website anymore (at least when I checked).

DC took CMX's site down yesterday evening. I kind of (very much) hate them for that, but if you search "CMX" in the search bar on the main DC page it redirects you to, you'll get a 48-page list of all the volumes CMX published (477 volumes! i had no idea they published so many books!). Or for recommendations/more accessible info, look up some of the manga blogs around—Manga Curmudgeon, Slightly Biased Manga, MangaBlog and many others. Lots of folks are discussing the series they loved and will miss.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
Or for recommendations/more accessible info, look up some of the manga blogs around—Manga Curmudgeon, Slightly Biased Manga, MangaBlog and many others. Lots of folks are discussing the series they loved and will miss.

Thanks for those recommendations. Reading these lists just upsets me that DC did nothing to promote these series. Some of these sound really interesting, and obviously loved by their readers. I now wish I could've found these titles earlier to support them. There's about a half dozen I want to try, but there's no point if they never will be completed. Sad
DDBen

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Torodora... Why would anyone call that a masterpiece? The end is absolutely horrible and half of the middle makes zero sense.

I'll start with the one thing I think the show did somewhat right. Basically there are a lot of moments in the show where a character just goes for it and faces a problem. The resulting scene is usually quite good and could easily be mistaken for character development. The Issue is that the fallout from those moments is nothing its almost entirely ignored by the next episode while the characters just bottle up there feelings AGAIN until they take a moment to explode again later.

Ryūji doesn't offer a lot to this series basically he acts like super mom while he searches for love and helps girls as you would see in any Key animation. The issue is unlike in a Key project(Kanon, Clannad) he is basically a flawless character. He has no development in this series. His only plot is he is a nice guy who makes a choice. I guess you could argue he learns to go after what he wants but he doesn't he just does what everyone tells him to do and never goes for what HE wants.

Taiga is a blatant Tsundere character She acts like a bitch on the outside but just wants to be loved on the inside but doesn't know how... I can't imagine how you could say she isn't a stereotype. To me she really lacks anything desirable at all for Ryūji or anyone for that matter. She looks 8, is a bitch, can't do anything right at all.

So what do we get in the end? A Tsundere who turns into a moe blob who can't do ANYTHING but tries her best and learns to let someone else just take care of her because she will never amount to anything.

Maya Kihara is almost a character but they basically build her up and throw her away like all the secondary characters in this show. She has almost no point really heck her romantic stance isn't even believable.

Ami is easily the deepest character in the whole thing and like Kihara she's just tosses aside by the end. Heck she makes a much better main character the Taiga does but once again they develop her and just throw her away by the end for the series forced conclusion.

Kitamura is forgotten from the start and basically just there to have another guy around and to use for wacky comic relief.

So yeah by the end of Toradora I was literally forcing myself to finish it hoping it would do something to correct it by the end. Instead you get a hamfisted ending which ends up in a place that I feel the writing was never headed. I don't think its worthless to watch the show but I have to say its the kind of show I could never watch a second time and unless you find yourself in love with Taiga's character your likely to just end up disappointed in this series as it follows that conclusion with unstoppable force at the cost of every other aspect of the story.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Toradora, an episodic rom-com. The problems are with it ending up very episodic. Also forced melodrama, on almost Key like proportions.

And you managed to show expertly that you don't know what moe means. Taiga is stereotypical as hell, a short flat chested tsundere, see many other characters voiced by Kugimin (who are also all considered very moe). Moe is about selling characters, either by aesthetic design or by character development as well.
A fair number of the most moe characters are fully developed; being 1 dimensional just makes you the same as every other badly writen character, to stand out you have to have an actual character.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6