• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show: Old's Cool

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:56 am Reply with quote
Tetsuwan Atom was the first anime TV show with an ongoing story (first anime TV show was Manga Calendar).
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:09 am Reply with quote
I am loving this column. It's really entertaining and informative. I can't wait for the next one!
agila61

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:21 am Reply with quote
I always think of the Space Battleship Yamato and Galaxy Express 999 as "old school" ... but there is no arguing that pre-70's ... and mostly pre-Speed-Racer at that ... is old school, no ifs, ands, or buts.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:32 am Reply with quote
I haven't heard of a few of those series. As for what I've watched, I've only seen a few episodes of the most popular ones that got dubbed (Astro Boy and Gigantor). Oh, and the first episode of Mahoutsukai Sally in Japanese. It's a shame Sally was never aired in the US.
Key

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:43 am Reply with quote
Very interesting column. I had long wondered whether there were any series predating Gatchaman which could be legitimately named as predecessors of sentai series (I've never considered Cyborg 009 to be one, though I may have to reconsider that now), and always had trouble finding solid information on that. This answers that question well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
It's great that Mike Toole is going to be a regular ANN contributor. He's sort of the king of anime commentators, at least to me.

It's funny you should mention Sally the Witch, because recently I've been rewatching the amazing Imagawa-directed Giant Robo OVA from the nineties (which I wouldn't consider "old school"), and of course, like many Mitsuteru Yokoyama-created characters, Sally herself is featured, as the daughter of Alberto the Impact ("Shocking Alberto" in the dub).

The OVA is a reimagining of Yokoyama's Giant Robo manga. Of course, Yokoyama is most famous for creating Tetsujin-28, which itself was a few years ago remade with Imagawa at the helm, and with Akira Senju, who is doing the FMA: Brotherhood OST, doing the music for the remake.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Copyrighted Name

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:31 am Reply with quote
I seriously wonder if I'm the only person who recognizes the name of every show Mike mentions in the article. Good stuff. Smile
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:17 am Reply with quote
If the level of quality is consistent, this column is going to be awesome.

The most "old school" thing I've ever seen was Mobile Suit Gundam. That was really a lesson in not judging a book by it's cover, as I enjoyed it far more than most recent shows I've seen.

When it comes to the older stuff I tend to assume it's like American cartoons like Transformers and GI Joe- children's shows that honestly weren't very good to begin with or are unwatchable to adults, but which are remembered and held up as geek icons out of nostalgia. That seems not to be the case as much with anime, I guess because they were using animation to tell more diverse stories right from the start.

Quote:
It's funny you should mention Sally the Witch, because recently I've been rewatching the amazing Imagawa-directed Giant Robo OVA from the nineties

I've been meaning to pick that up after Daryl Surat kept going on about it on AWO. It's as good as he says, then?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:32 am Reply with quote
Penguin_Factory wrote:
Quote:
It's funny you should mention Sally the Witch, because recently I've been rewatching the amazing Imagawa-directed Giant Robo OVA from the nineties

I've been meaning to pick that up after Daryl Surat kept going on about it on AWO. It's as good as he says, then?

It's one of my favorites. It's got this crazy, breakneck energy to it, but it is also full of heart and soul, and this weird "retro-future" feel to it that's neat.

Apparently the story for it, "The Day The Earth Stood Still" is intended as a penultimate chapter of a longer series of stories, with several coming before it, and a final chapter after called "Siege of Babylon" but they never came to fruition. A manga, however, has been produced, written by Imagawa, that has the same style, but in a different continuity. It's called "The Day The Earth Burned".

If I could have one wish from the Anime Genie (should one exist) it would be to have those other chapters of the story produced. But don't worry, the story of the OVA is fairly self-contained.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Battle Cossack

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:33 am Reply with quote
Dude, I'm on the streaming Prince Planet. Also, chronologically organizing the bibliography of Shotaro Ishinomori was really insightful: I had no idea that 009 predated Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, or even 8 Man.
Here's hoping you one day write a book! [EDIT: grammar]
_-D-_

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:04 am Reply with quote
Great new column! That was a lot of really interesting information.

It's a topic that I've always been passingly curious about but never got around to actually looking up. I'll definitely have to check these out.

Thanks Mike for the great article. I'm really anticipating the next one.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:42 am Reply with quote
Just a quick note, Mike's Dubs that Time Forgot video will be posted tomorrow. Having some last-minute audio issues. (Isn't that always the way?)
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:45 am Reply with quote
I think Satoshi Kon included Robin and Jetter among his childhood favorites in his blog.
Truered

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:16 am Reply with quote
Cool, that was a pretty interesting (and informative) read Very Happy

I've only been a fan of anime since the start of 2007, and haven't really watched anything from before the late 80s, so I don't really throw around the "old school" tag much Razz
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:49 am Reply with quote
Holy. frickin. crap.

I just telling some friends yesterday that Mike Toole is, hands down, my favorite personality in US anime jouralism and needs to do more stuff ("remember that Anime Jump website from high school? That was his!")

Consider me one very, very happy cookie. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5