• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Indicates Eva: 2.0, Eden of the East Film Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B.K.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Sure, a dub would be nice, but I don't think I want to wait another year and a half for the dubbed version, like with 1.01 and 1.11. It's already been long enough waiting for the Japanese DVD/Blu-Ray release.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:15 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Manga UK said the same thing about Summer Wars. FUNi denied they had it, but managed to slip up in saying that they haven't started dubbing "yet". lol

I'm curious what's going on with Musashi as well. Manga UK picked it up a few months ago. I wonder if that means it will eventually end up in Funi's hands.
common sense

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Why do they get it before the U.S? Evil or Very Mad

Unless it's a joke, you just made yourself look like a greedy 12-year-old. Besides, as already stated, Manga is relying on Funimation in this matter.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I can never understand why FUNi just don't announce stuff as soon as they secure a license.
Sure it's fun saving announcements for people who go to conventions and what not, but it will stop people whining and wondering if they do it asap.
Instead we have Manga UK revealing all the big news.
Just hope we don't have to wait a stupid amount of time for a release since the Japanese DVD/Blu-ray is out very soon so they have no excuse there.
They should also just come out and say they have Summer Wars as well since we unoficially know they do.
Will be nice if they have Musashi as well since I wouldn't mind a half decent dub added on.
B.K.

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:26 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
From what I understand, it's English subs along with Chinese subs at the same time.

That would be a small price to pay.
_V_

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Myaow wrote:
Wait, but I thought that Sentai Filmworks was going to license 2.0!!!! I've been deceived!!!!!

Yeah and i bet V has fallen off of his chair right now. Laughing

People remember me here?

Before we overreact, I would remind everyone that "Manga Entertainment UK" released the FIRST movie, Rebuild of Eva 1.0, in the United Kingdom. They're the UK distributor.

They sub-licensed it from FUNimation, however, and did not own it outright.

So on the one hand, this is nothing surprising: Manga Entertainment UK assumes that they'll be the UK distributor.

AND they assume that FUNimation will get the rights.

We do know that FUNimation has been "in the process of negotiating" for it for months now, but that kind of thing can drag on for YEARS.

And at times before, FUNimation has said "we really think things are looking promising that well officially get the license soon" but then we had to wait more.

so while this *does* strongly hint that FUNimation may have acquired the rights, at the end of the day all we know is that:

*The same company that released the first movie in the UK assumes it will also release the second movie
*They strongly thing that its only a matter of time until FUNimation gets the license, and depending on how you interpret it, they may have already
So what *concrete* information has changed? What have we learned?

The UK distributor from last time thinks they'll get it again (I don't follow the British market too closely; does Manga UK dominate there? I thought it did)

And for all we know, FUNimation sent them glowing and optimistic reports that "negotiations will be done any day now!"

When it comes to negotiations with Gainax and Khara (and NTV), who are holding all the cards and have been noted before, many times, to be VERY fickle and stubborn with their negotiations....

....well, when it comes to negotiations with Gainax, only believe a license once its in writing. "I strongly feel well conclude negotiations soon" means little.

So ultimately I would urge caution, but that we follow FUNimation's big convention appearances more closely.

Outside chance they'll announce it next weekend at Phoenix Comic Con, because thats the ONLY convention ADR Director Mike McFarland is going to this year.

If not then...Anime Expo on July 4th?

Still, I must stress: FUNimation has sounded naively optimistic about negotiations with Gainax in the past. Manga UK may have just heard that FUNimation HOPES to have the license.[/list]
Reibooi

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:32 pm Reply with quote
B.K. wrote:
There's no point in waiting for Funimation. The Chinese Blu-Ray that's being released on June 25 apparently has English subs.

http://www.asianblurayguide.com/news/509/evangelion_222_you_can_not_advance_english_subtitled_hk_bd_in_june/

The few things I have seen subbed from China was butchered to the point of not making any sense. So I would rather save money and braincells and wait for Funi's release.
_V_

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote
You will notice that a *later* followup message on Manga UK's Twitter account had this to say:

Quote:
http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/14565434086

IF #Funimation produce the dub, we will use it, so we have to wait until it is supplied to us...

The conditional "IF" put in all-capitals was their stress.

So this followup post seems to indicate that they actually don't have anything concrete to go on, just assumptions.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Just hope we don't have to wait a stupid amount of time for a release since the Japanese DVD/Blu-ray is out very soon so they have no excuse there.
They should also just come out and say they have Summer Wars as well since we unoficially know they do.

On that matter, Manga have announced further delays in the UK release of Summer Wars. The reason provided mentions dubbing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:45 pm Reply with quote
So to clarify to _V_ and annyone else.
They have the UK distro rights; which they will sit on until an English dub is produced by the US licensor (whoever that is), which they will then use.
As per what they are doing with Summer Wars (hence it being pushed back ~8 months).
a.g.wong

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
From what I understand, it's English subs along with Chinese subs at the same time.

You'd think a Blu-ray release would have separate subtitle tracks, but it's not clear from the product description.

Also, from my experience the English subs in HK versions tend to have grammatical issues and/or clunky translations. You can still follow the story, but I'd recommend importing this version only if you are familiar with at least one other language on the disc, or if you absolutely cannot wait.

I've preordered the HK Blu-ray, but it's mainly as a holdover until the US release, and because I want to hear it in Cantonese.

Quote:
The few things I have seen subbed from China was butchered to the point of not making any sense. So I would rather save money and braincells and wait for Funi's release.

I've noticed this in some Chinese versions (probably bootlegs), but seeing as how Hong Kong still has a sizable English-speaking population, it's probably not as bad as you think. (i.e. no "mass naked child events")
_V_

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
So to clarify to _V_ and annyone else.
They have the UK distro rights; which they will sit on until an English dub is produced by the US licensor (whoever that is), which they will then use.
As per what they are doing with Summer Wars (hence it being pushed back ~8 months).

I haven't been following the Summer Wars delays though I see people mentioning them; can you please provide a quick summary of what happened with Summer Wars and ME UK, and what this reflects here? Thanks/
Sarkozy

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
B.K. wrote:
There's no point in waiting for Funimation. The Chinese Blu-Ray that's being released on June 25 apparently has English subs.

http://www.asianblurayguide.com/news/509/evangelion_222_you_can_not_advance_english_subtitled_hk_bd_in_june/

It's not China, its Hong Kong. China is BD Region C. HK is Region A. Huge difference. As for the quality of the disc and subs, I own the R3 1.01 DVD w/ Eng subs the same company released a couple years ago. I saw absolutely no errors in the subs, video quality was spectacular compared to Funi's 1.01. Subs were a nice and clean white. It was a good quality release all around. It was definitely a nice DVD to hold me off until Funi's 1.11 BD release, almost a year and a half later. Given a good experience with the company in the past, I'm willing to front them the money for 2.22 as by buying their BD, I can forgo supporting Slowmation.
a.g.wong

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Sarkozy wrote:

As for the quality of the disc and subs, I own the R3 1.01 DVD w/ Eng subs the same company released a couple years ago. I saw absolutely no errors in the subs, video quality was spectacular compared to Funi's 1.01. Subs were a nice and clean white. It was a good quality release all around.

Thank you for this info; I feel a lot better about preordering this version now. I'll probably end up buying the Funimation release anyway for the English dub, though. Eventually. =)
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
_V_ wrote:

I haven't been following the Summer Wars delays though I see people mentioning them; can you please provide a quick summary of what happened with Summer Wars and ME UK, and what this reflects here? Thanks/

They anounced license in January (for release in sept), they then said reason release was so late was due to waiting for FUNi (assumed) to dub it , now pushed back to Febuary due to waiting on the US Dub. (now rumored to be Bandai Ent)
Basicaly they'll sit on their license untill the US release. Only the US has the money to fund dubs.

Apologies only a 5 month delay, that's still big tho'
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4