• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga UK Indicates Eva: 2.0, Eden of the East Film Plans

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_V_

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 5:24 pm Reply with quote
thank you

So...the situation is that this specific thing happened before? Manga UK blurted out that "FUNimation will do it" when their full idea was "we assume FUNimation will do it", but now there's a bidding war between FUNimation and Banda to make Summer Wars, and it was in fact, never "licensed" officially?

Well, false alarm then.

Realistically, given how HUGE the licensing fee is for Eva 2.22, I don't see it coming out by Christmas 2010.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Nice, I hope Funimation releases Eva 2.0 soon.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 6:55 pm Reply with quote
If this gets dubbed, please get Tiffany Grant back as Asuka!
bayoab

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:51 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
I can never understand why FUNi just don't announce stuff as soon as they secure a license.
Sure it's fun saving announcements for people who go to conventions and what not, but it will stop people whining and wondering if they do it asap.
They do pretty much announce them after the ink dries. That's why there is the huge delay between license and release.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Ktimene's Lover wrote:

They managed to bring back most of the major characters for the first movie, so I dont see any reason why they wouldn't be able to get Tiffany Grant in the next one. And considering how much she loved her role as Asuka, I'm sure she'd be ecstatic if she had the chance to voice her again. Unless she's like under contract or something and is only allowed to do voice work for ADV/Sentai, but thats unlikely.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote
This is great news, it means I should be able to get a bluray copy of Eva 2.22(?) much sooner than I expected Very Happy and hopefully this time around the disc packaging will be in an actual bluray box not a cardboard slipcase.
Greboruri

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Reibooi wrote:
The few things I have seen subbed from China was butchered to the point of not making any sense. So I would rather save money and braincells and wait for Funi's release.
Eh sorry, why would this be the case? AVP's DVD release of the first film had the same English subs taken from the official English subbed 35mm film print, and the Chinese and English subs aren't lumped together. Why would AVP's release of the second film be different from the first?
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:24 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Ktimene's Lover wrote:

They managed to bring back most of the major characters for the first movie, so I don't see any reason why they wouldn't be able to get Tiffany Grant in the next one. And considering how much she loved her role as Asuka, I'm sure she'd be ecstatic if she had the chance to voice her again. Unless she's like under contract or something and is only allowed to do voice work for ADV/Sentai, but thats unlikely.

She's done voice work for FUNi before (with her most recent roles being Nojiko from One Piece & Yui Ogawa from Linebarrels Of Iron) so this shouldn't be a problem at all.
BeanBandit

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 9:27 pm Reply with quote
B.K. wrote:
Sure, a dub would be nice, but I don't think I want to wait another year and a half for the dubbed version, like with 1.01 and 1.11. It's already been long enough waiting for the Japanese DVD/Blu-Ray release.

Speaking of I just got my Amazon.co.jp confirmation saying my pre-order for the blu-ray's been shipped Very Happy

I'm thinking we'll hear Funimation announce something during the summer con season for sure, hopefully we hear something about Summer Wars as well.
_V_

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 10:40 am Reply with quote
Apparently I was the only one brazen enough to simply directly ask Manga UK to clarify what they meant on their Twitter feed, and they responded:

Quote:
http://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/14611500813

@MangaUK in case no one else was brazen enough to ask directly: do you confirm FUNimation has Eva 2.0 license, right now? Or you assume?

@ReVolutionOfEva I am assuming they have it, but I cannot confirm it at this stage.

Manga UK simply *assumed* that FUNimation would get it, in response to a fan question, and actually have no confirmation on this.

This ANN news post needs to be updated, this was a false alarm.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:01 am Reply with quote
I think it's kind of cute that you think Manga UK would tell you 100% the truth. While this isn't a guarantee that FUNi has secured the license, I'm pretty sure that now it's at least an inevitability.

Personally though, I'd prefer to hear less Twitter news and more real news.
_V_

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:19 am Reply with quote
So you trusted their statements enough to make a full news post about them, but not enough to trust them when they retract it? Smile

Well, I e-mailed in ANN about this, but it seems FUNimation contacted them to confirm they do *not* have the license.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:38 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
Why do they get it before the U.S? Evil or Very Mad

For something like this - we're not. Manga won't release it without a dub, which will come from the US which means you will almost certainly have it in your hands before we do (the only exception that comes to mind is Brave Story).

Manga will consider sub-only releases but since the cost to produce is the same but the sales are halved, a dub is much preferred. It isn't like Evangelion was ever not going to get a dub, and releasing sub-only with a later dub is just not going to work in our market (to quote Jerome: "I don't believe Sentai's model works. If they can only sell 3,000 copies max in the US of a sub-only DVD, I'd be lucky to do 20% of that... Summer Wars too big for us to risk it. Unlikely HMV will stock it twice. H'ever, there are other sub-only projects we r looking into...")

I personally find it rather rude to complain about this anyway, given the large volume of release you get months and years ahead of us - if we get them at all. There are very, very few things we get before you, and those are normally things like Only Yesterday which aren't released in the US at all for various reasons, so are sub-only (again, Brave Story being a peculiar exception).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reibooi

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
Reibooi wrote:
The few things I have seen subbed from China was butchered to the point of not making any sense. So I would rather save money and braincells and wait for Funi's release.
Eh sorry, why would this be the case? AVP's DVD release of the first film had the same English subs taken from the official English subbed 35mm film print, and the Chinese and English subs aren't lumped together. Why would AVP's release of the second film be different from the first?

As I said this was my personal experience. I do not make a habit of watching stuff from China(most of it is bootleg although the Eva movie will likely not be). Some pointed out Hong Kong is a different Region and that's great. I don't follow that stuff.

A friend of mine imported a few movies that were never released here and they were from China and the subs were horrible. The best example I can remember was the Shana movie. It was screwed up to the point of not making sense. The only English subs on the disc replaced every characters name with a Chinese one(for example Shana was now Xing Wa or something along those lines). The names were changed like 3 times throughout the movie making it impossible to tell who was talking to who unless they were looking at each other or there were only 2 people on screen.

The terminology was also changed and very little of it made sense. At the end of the day it was so incomprehensible I couldn't follow what had happened. If that was a bootleg or not I can't say. It look official enough but again I'm not expert when it comes to this kinda of stuff. That was my experience and I would rather not go through it again and will wait for a Blu-ray I know will be high quality. It's not like there is a shortage of things to watch in the meantime.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
I can never understand why FUNi just don't announce stuff as soon as they secure a license.
Sure it's fun saving announcements for people who go to conventions and what not, but it will stop people whining and wondering if they do it asap.

Because then you have people waiting longer.

The aim is to find the perfect amount of time between licensing, announcing and releasing so that it:
1. Surprises potential buyers (and increases their chances of buying the product)
2. Gives the company time to work on the license without any pressure.
3. Builds up the maximum amount of hype that can be generated for the product before that hype turns into resentment for making consumers wait too long.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4