• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Box Office, May 15-16

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:15 pm Reply with quote
great to see that gintama is still doing so well. can not wait till it hits dvd so we can get a sub.
niiica

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
great to see that gintama is still doing so well. can not wait till it hits dvd so we can get a sub.

I completely agree. Smile
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:01 am Reply with quote
What a remarkable phenomenon Nodame Cantabile has become. The first live-action film ranked tenth in overall box-office for 2009 at over $40 million despite being released on 12/19, just days before Avatar. Now we see the second installment already grossing over $30 million in just a few weeks. The overseas numbers aren't shabby either. Outside Japan the current film has racked up another $30 million in receipts.

Manga, anime, live-action television, live-action films, Nodame Cantabile has become a major franchise in contemporary Japan. Other than the manga, though, none of this material is legally available in R1. Why is that? Is it just that Americans are uncultured louts who won't appreciate a story with classical music at its heart? Is it problems with rights clearances? A mismatch between the content and what R1 licensors think will appeal to their markets?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1