• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 5 Centimeters Per Second Gets Manga Adaptation

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
hmm... that's nice but how about re-releasing it on dvd so we aren't stuck paying crazy prices on used copies.
DarkRoseFairy

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I own the manga adaptation of the voice of the a distant star and like it as much as the anime, sad that Mizu Sahara is not doing this one too. I really like 5 centimeters per second(out of all Shinkai films, I like this one the most), so really hope the manga is good too.
Fletcher1991

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:29 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
hmm... that's nice but how about re-releasing it on dvd so we aren't stuck paying crazy prices on used copies.

My thoughts exactly.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 3:32 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
lol it's weird...I've found it cheaper imported from Japan than I can find it here in the US. Luckly I bought it the week it was announced to be out of print from a best buy locally that had like 5 copies. If I knew people were paying 80-100 dollars for it I would've bought all 5 >.<.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
lol it's weird...I've found it cheaper imported from Japan than I can find it here in the US. Luckly I bought it the week it was announced to be out of print from a best buy locally that had like 5 copies. If I knew people were paying 80-100 dollars for it I would've bought all 5 >.<.

Yeah. I bought my copy at Best Buy's half-price sale that they had awhile back, and there were several copies of it on the shelf. If only I could see the future!
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:19 pm Reply with quote
well i hadn't even heard of the film till crunchyroll did there global shikai day and stuck the movie up. i loved it but then when i look into buy it i see it going for around 100$. i heard they did a new dub but never stuck it on dvd for some reason.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:

A Region 4 release is currently in print, and a UK R2 release is scheduled for August. It is possible for you to take advantage of the dollar's comparative strength and import a copy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Can they fix the pacing in the third segment? It was so screwed-up it ruined the whole film.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 5:55 pm Reply with quote
For the BangZoom re-dub, I believe you can only legally buy it by import purchasing.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Well this is nice! I really like the film, so hopefully the manga gets released over here. And I totally hear the comments about the oop dvd. Someone needs to get on that, and produce a blu-ray while they're at it. RACS is selling the dvd for $190 Shocked .
archaron

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
Well this is nice! I really like the film, so hopefully the manga gets released over here. And I totally hear the comments about the oop dvd. Someone needs to get on that, and produce a blu-ray while they're at it. RACS is selling the dvd for $190 Shocked .

Wow, I knew this was out of print, but thats excessive. Shocked I am glad I bought a copy when it first came out. Cool
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
i heard they did a new dub but never stuck it on dvd for some reason.

The Bang Zoom dub was produced after ADV lost the license in July 08 (the DVD was released 4 months before) so until someone license-rescues this movie for US release there's only the Region 4 DVD that's currently available (which does have the Bang Zoom dub).
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:55 pm Reply with quote
I hope the manga picks up a certain segment from the anime and expands that rather than merely repeating everything verbatim.

Five Centimeters Per Second is my of my favs as anime goes because I can identify with the characters. Just by changing the era and the country this anime would be autobiographical. I did have to pay a premium for this OOP R1 on ebay a year ago but after watching it many many times I find it was worth it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1